Background Check/Education Verifcation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shrimpchips22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am applying for medical school next year and have a question regarding how thorough the background check is.

I attended one college a few years ago but that school was extremely horrible. The professors cannot teach and don't exactly care to and administration is horrible. I transferred after one semester but the two courses that I took at that college, I got a B and a C.

I never transferred the grades, I just applied for another school and they have never asked me for the transcripts. I retook the courses and got As in both and have made As in all subsequent courses.

Will the background check for med school applicants able to pull up the school that I attended even though I never transferred the grades? How thorough is the education check? Wouldn't they only be able to pull up schools where I've transferred the course credits?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it worth it? Failing to submit all your grades is academic dishonesty. 1 B and 1 C aren't going to trash your GPA.

Will the background check for med school applicants able to pull up the school that I attended even though I never transferred the grades? How thorough is the education check? Wouldn't they only be able to pull up schools where I've transferred the course credits?
The medical school application service can find out every school you've attended post-high school. The check for this is very thorough. If you fail to submit all applications, your verification process will be delayed. There is a national educational clearinghouse that keeps these records. Only if you attended an international school without transferring the records to a US school, are your grades not figured in, but you still have to declare the international school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat as you, but totally recommend based on advice thron my way, this is dicey territory. Your willingness to share and discuss softens the blow to your app. If you address it head-on, you may be ale to take the sting out. If the adcom sees your true records and you don't address it, they may feel deceived. I would be straight up and hit the thing on the head.

there is absolutely no reason you should even consider trying to hide this. The risk is just too great for the minuscule GPA boost. Besides it would look very strange if your college education started a semester late. One lie i just going to end up snow-balling into more lies.

Dear OP,

The only thing worse than getting a rejection is getting an acceptance and having it revoked. The only thing worse than getting an acceptance and having it revoked is getting an acceptance, matriculating, and then getting kicked out of medical school when they find out that you were lying.

My words of advice: do not screw with the system

good luck!:luck: