Background check?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first post here, but I was just wanting to find out if anybody knows if the pharmacy school does a background check on you when you apply for pharmacy school? The reason I ask is because I had been arrested A LONG, LONG time ago for wreckless driving, and I just wanted to know if that would affect me in any way to get into a college of pharmacy. If anyone could let me know, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Not that I know of. The farther back it was, the better, though. My dean did tell us that if we ever get put in jail, to call him and he will bail us out... but then to "clean out our lockers" so to speak.

Pharmacy school might not be a big deal, but don't even think about hiding it when you go up against your State Board. They will find it and they will bust you for hiding it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't wreckless driving be a misdemeanor or a civil infraction at best? Doesn't really seem like the school would care that much, especially if it was that far back. I can't remember if I had one of those "have you ever been convicted of..." questions on my apps. I know that government financial aid is interested in drug convictions, and I would assume that the school and the board would be too, but going 80 in a 55 hardly says anything about your morals. I think you'll be ok, but don't hide it IF they ask.

Yea, wreckless driving was a misdemeanor, but it was a class A misdemeanor. And I was going 120 in a 55. And this happened about 5 or 6 years ago. Do you think that that was a long time ago or not really.

Also, when you talk about the state board, do you mean that they are going to be the ones interviewing me for pharmacy school?

Thanks for your replies!

Originally posted by PharmDo
Yea, wreckless driving was a misdemeanor, but it was a class A misdemeanor. And I was going 120 in a 55. And this happened about 5 or 6 years ago. Do you think that that was a long time ago or not really.

Also, when you talk about the state board, do you mean that they are going to be the ones interviewing me for pharmacy school?

Thanks for your replies!

Oops, guess you can't use the "I swear I was going 55" defense on that one. :) The state board will deal with your professional license, it's completely different from the application process to schools.

I don't think you'll have a problem. I've had my fair share of tickets. I was accepted into a COP as well as recieved an intern licence. You have to write an account of the event and basically what you have learned from it (to the boards for intern licence). Just be honest. tell it like it is, and let them know it was a childish behavior that you have put far behind you... you'll be fine.

peace

When you get your intern license in California they fingerprint and do a background check. Are the other states like that as well?

I don't remember any sort of background check before pharmacy school, but it would suck to get accepted and find out later that you can't get a license because of a sordid past.

I can't your misdemeanor would be a problem though. I think California law says something of the sort it has to be relevant to pharmacy practice, now, they do broadly interpret what is considered related but I think this would be stretching it.

I know a pharmacist who got arrested for threatening a hardware store clerk with a hammer (don't ask...long story). The board somehow found out, investigated him, but he's still licensed, so apparently it wasn't a problem.

Originally posted by GravyRPH
When you get your intern license in California they fingerprint and do a background check. Are the other states like that as well?

This is a sampling from some newsletters I scanned;

Washington:
Name Deleted Pharmacy technician #41737 Graham Washington
Failed to disclose a criminal conviction on application for certification as a pharmacy technician. Certificate placed on probation for three years

Texas:
Name Deleted Applicant for relicensure Tyler Tx. Violations adjudicated: felony convictions and falsified application for relicensure. Application denied.

License #32186 , Houston texas, Alledged violation: felony conviction. License revoked.

License #39789 Oklahoma City OK, Felony conviction. Action by Oklahoma Board of Pharmacy (10 year suspension) License Revoked

Missouri:
License #44804 Waynesville Ohio Probation for three years. Arrested for DWI

Alabama
Name Deleted; Attempting to obtain technician registration by fraudulent means. Action ? Registration granted and placed on probation for 2 years

Don't mess with these people, they have you by your paycheck

As if they aren't enough...
Federal Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988 states:
If employee is convicted of criminal possession of drugs, he/she
must inform the EMPLOYER of the conviction within five days.
Then the EMPLOYER may take "appropriate action"

There are some aspects of this business that I really hate....
Legislation of morality is one of them. If you misfill a prescription they can wack you. If you have a fight with the wife and the neighbors call the cops they can wack you. If you exercise your right to civil disobedience and get arrested at a protest march they can wack you. You want to be a conscientious objector and tear up your draft card or not pay your taxes they will wack you. It falls under the jurisdiction of "administrative action" which means if the sitting board members don't like it they can wack you (moral turptitude). The bottom line is by accepting this means of earning a living you will be giving up a lot of personal freedom.
I wonder if they would wack me for reading/possessing a copy of "DMT The Spirit Molecule" or Abbie Hoffman's "Steal This Book"

Betcha if someone filed a complaint because they saw you with these books it would at the very least get you investigated.

The only way I can have a police record is if I get arrested, get fingerprinted, go to court or maybe go to prison right ?

Even if I get arrested, but do not get fingerprinted, there is no way the Board can find out about it correct?

Now I am worried about my case....

Originally posted by TCB
The only way I can have a police record is if I get arrested, get fingerprinted, go to court or maybe go to prison right ?

Even if I get arrested, but do not get fingerprinted, there is no way the Board can find out about it correct?

Now I am worried about my case....

find someone who can run a criminal backround check on you.
whatever they pull up is what you must disclose to the BOP on their application.

I am aware of a Florida pharmacist (not me) who was caught on video tape stealing dilaudid. He was dobbed in to the sherriff and made the 6pm news showing his video on regional television. He was later let go from Eckerds for "funny business" He has not been disciplined by the BOP. Why? I dunno. I have been watching and it has not happened (yet). It might be that because of the gravity of this offense the corperations took pity on him and just accused him of shoplifting. That is the only thing I can think of. Florida has no impaired pharmacist program. You get popped their only recourse is to revoke your license. Other more progressive states have special programs for impaired professionals which attempt to rehabilitate before they resort to removing your livelihood.

Thanks for your advice baggywrinkle. I tried to have a background check done on myself, but the police department told me that I only my recruiter have the possibility to request one.

When I got hired at the hospital, I believe that they had a criminal background check on me, they didn't find anything. The lady told me that she wasn't able to go further with her search because I didn't have any credit history or something along that line. A while ago I asked the same question to a police officer, he told me that I shouldn't worry about it, since I never went to court. I guess I will find out about it one day.