Background checks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmacc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 2.66 gpa and recently scored a 29 on AAMC practice test 3R. I know I have a lot of work to do on the gpa end. And I need EC's.

My main question is about background checks. I have bipolar disorder and was arrested for a violent felony 4 years ago. But I was found "not guilty by reason of insanity" and committed to a psychiatric hospital for 2 years. It is part of the public record, but is not technically a conviction.

How does this affect my chances provided I put together a competitive application?

Should I mention it in my personal statement about why I want to be a doctor or the struggle I have had to face? My bipolar disorder is also one reason I did poorly as an undergrad. Can I use that as an explanation if I do well in an SMP or postbacc program?

Do I have a shot at all?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 2.66 gpa and recently scored a 29 on AAMC practice test 3R. I know I have a lot of work to do on the gpa end. And I need EC's.

My main question is about background checks. I have bipolar disorder and was arrested for a violent felony 4 years ago. But I was found "not guilty by reason of insanity" and committed to a psychiatric hospital for 2 years. It is part of the public record, but is not technically a conviction.

How does this affect my chances provided I put together a competitive application?

Should I mention it in my personal statement about why I want to be a doctor or the struggle I have had to face? My bipolar disorder is also one reason I did poorly as an undergrad. Can I use that as an explanation if I do well in an SMP or postbacc program?

Do I have a shot at all?

Thank you.

Forgive me in advance if I sound insensitive or the like. I'm just looking at this as objectively as possible.

If I were an adcomm, I'd ask you to provide reason to trust that you won't flip out one day and hurt a patient or coworker. Because your violent episode occurred such a short time ago, you might have trouble proving to anyone that it won't happen again.

Let's be honest, would you want your loved ones visiting a clinically insane doc?

Bipolarity and reasons of insanity aside, your GPA is still out of reach for even osteopathic schools.

To assume the role of a physician, one must have demonstrable responsibility and independence. Knowing that you escaped reprimand for your violence by "reasons of insanity" might raise a flag as to whether you are capable of either.

In short, I won't say you don't have a shot, but there are some clear obstacles in the way of your goal.

Last edited:
Whoa. Forget the MCAT right now; you need to focus on bringing that GPA up to above a 3.0--you're right that a SMP or a post bacc is a good idea. If your EC's aren't that great either, you probably want to take a year or two to get involved before you start applying.

The general consensus around SDN seems to be that it is NOT a good idea to mention mental illness on your app. Unfortunately there is still such a stigma associated with mental illness that it can be used against you. Medicine is a demanding profession and adcoms won't hesitate to reject you if they think you can't handle it.

Also, get a copy of your criminal record to see what shows up. Get a lawyer to help you deal with anything that does.

Members don't see this ad :)
TROLL. you have to be kidding me. many schools ask if you have ever been arrested, and you will need to explain your bad grades, but the fact is you have a violent felony. A VIOLENT FELONY. and then you were clincally declared insane. INSANE. Are you catching my drift? the background checks are fairly thorough but I am not sure, but if this were to every come to light......

I think it is time to consider another path.

Thanks, rhesuspieces and captainzappo

then you were clincally declared insane. INSANE

I believe you do not know what it means to be declared temporarily insane.

but if this were to every come to light......

I think it is time to consider another path.

I think schools only ask if you've ever been convicted (not arrested), which I haven't. I doubt schools do background checks. I can simply not mention it and get accepted. They can't kick me out after or else they'd violate ADA. That's my feeling.

I just wanted to know what might happen if they did do one, and CaptainZappo explained it well, I think. I'm not going to mention my condition or history when applying to medical school.

Last edited:
I think schools only ask if you've ever been convicted (not arrested), which I haven't. I doubt schools do background checks. I can simply not mention it and get accepted. They can't kick me out after or else they'd violate ADA. That's my feeling.

AMCAS said:
The AAMC-Facilitated Background Check Service

The Association of American Medical Colleges recommends that all US medical schools procure a national background check on applicants upon their conditional acceptance to medical school. The rationale for performing criminal background checks on accepted medical school applicants is based on a number of issues, including the need to enhance the safety and well-being of patients and, in so doing, to bolster the public's continuing trust in the medical profession, and to ascertain the ability of accepted applicants to eventually become licensed physicians.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/63230/faq_background.html

Also, they can kick you out if they feel you lied on your application or deliberately misled them.

~EDIT~

I use HMS as a modal since I'm betting they'll have a pretty standard technical standards.

HMS Technical Standards said:
..The Committee on Admissions has continued to reaffirm that all students must possess the intellectual, physical and emotional capabilities necessary to undertake the required curriculum in a reasonably independent manner, without having to rely on intermediaries, and that all students must be able to achieve the levels of competence required by the faculty. All candidates for admission, both those with and without disabilities, are expected to be competitive with others in the applicant pool in academic, personal, and extracurricular dimensions and to meet these technical standards...

...V. Behavioral and Social Attributes: A candidate must possess the emotional health required for full utilization of his intellectual abilities, the exercise of good judgment, the prompt completion of all responsibilities attendant to the diagnosis and care of patients, and the development of mature, sensitive, and effective relationships with patients. Candidates must be able to tolerate physically taxing workloads and to function effectively under stress. They must be able to adapt to changing environments, to display flexibility, and to learn to function in the face of uncertainties inherent in the clinical problems of many patients. Compassion, integrity, concern for others, interpersonal skills, interest, and motivation are all personal qualities that are assessed during the admissions and education processes...

I'm not qualified to say if you are a good candidate for admission or not. My laymen advice to you is to get a psychological evaluation to show that you've overcame your previous issues. While it could easily backfire you might also argue that you are a disadvantaged student since you had to overcome a psychological illness.

Last edited: