bad at pre-med labs = bad in med school ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronaldo23

The Truth
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im pretty mediocre at my labs in orgo bio etc...like the actual report and grades are good, but i always feel like im fairly below average in technique, speed and overall flow in the lab .

does this mean ill really struggle in med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Judging by how bad most medical students are at phlebotomy... absolutely not.

You'll never do anything remotely like organic lab in med school. Don't worry about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
ochem lab is my passion! but i don't want to spill any more carcinogens on myself.

No...there's no relation between the two. You'll be fine come med school time.

ochem lab is my passion! but i don't want to spill any more carcinogens on myself.

I have to laugh because it's so true. I'm suprised I don't have a third thumb by now.

I had a group of 4 for Ochem, and my role was the designated carcinogen handler. I better go get a physical or something.

Miami, is that really your picture? Maybe I will apply to University of Miami after all.... wow

Miami, is that really your picture? Maybe I will apply to University of Miami after all.... wow

Wishful thinking. How many pre-med girls have you seen look like that?:p

If there is any correlation between pre-med labs and labs in med school, I'm going to have big troubles. Just today I broke a test tube, spilled an ethylene glycol solution on a balance, and had to remix my solutions three times...all before 9 am! Yay chem labs!!

Hey, you know what I did for all of those stupid pre-med labs? I just went to the lab, went through the motions of doing the stupid thing, and then just wrote up the lab report using whatever data was required to demonstrate what was supposed to be demonstrated.

Who cares? It's not as if you're proving anything or breaking new ground. Just another hoop in a chain of hoops. Why there is even a lab requirement for science courses, especially for those of us who have no intention of doing bench research or working in a lab, is beyond me.

Also, procedures are nothing like labs so don't worry. I can put in a central line with my eyes closed (almost) and I haven't missed a lumbar puncture in my last twenty or so sticks but give me a couple of vials of reagents and ask me to titrate or whatever the hell they do and I'm all thumbs (because I just don't care).

Yeah, labs are much better in medical school. No lab reports, no beakers, nothing. Its heaven :)

And no grades, either.

Most idiotic medical school lab? Histology. Slides are so 19th century (except if you're going into pathology). Our school gave us the images from the slides on a CD and then, after realizing that there was no need for histo lab cancelled it entirely as nobody went anyways.