Bad Chem score... what would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starsweet

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I need some advice. I got my scores and they are:

Verbal 87
Biology 94
Reading 90
Quantitative 93
Chemistry 49
Composite 91
Writing 3

I am concerned about the low Chem score. I realize that a lot of people have low verbal/reading scores but high scores in bio/chem so it's okay because science scores are more "important" than the verbal/reading scores, but I have a weird situation because my Chem score is low, and the others are not bad. I know why it was low - I hadn't taken Organic Chem at all yet, and I had Gen Chem 7 years ago. I spent too much time studying calculation problems but the PCAT questions had a lot more theory (and Organic). I also ran out of time and was not able to fill in like 5 answers (no time to Christmas tree). So my question is, will schools think I'm weird since Chem is so different from the other scores? I had As in Gen Chem and am still taking Organic I. Should I take the PCAT again in January?

Thanks guys. :( I am kinda freaking out now.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you did great overall! I hope my composite is that! I do understand where you are coming from in regards to your chemistry score. I don't know my scores yet and I have a feeling I did worse on chem. than any other section because I am in a similar situation. I had just started taking O-chem and it had been 10 years since general chem. The only concern I would have if I were you is that most schools, the ones I looked into anyway, wanted at least a 50 in each subsection. If that is not an issue for the schools your applying to, then I wouldn't worry too much since your composite is so good. Maybe try calling your school of choice and see what they say!
Good luck! I will post my score as soon as I get them. :scared:

starsweet said:
Hey everyone,

I need some advice. I got my scores and they are:

Verbal 87
Biology 94
Reading 90
Quantitative 93
Chemistry 49
Composite 91
Writing 3

I am concerned about the low Chem score. I realize that a lot of people have low verbal/reading scores but high scores in bio/chem so it's okay because science scores are more "important" than the verbal/reading scores, but I have a weird situation because my Chem score is low, and the others are not bad. I know why it was low - I hadn't taken Organic Chem at all yet, and I had Gen Chem 7 years ago. I spent too much time studying calculation problems but the PCAT questions had a lot more theory (and Organic). I also ran out of time and was not able to fill in like 5 answers (no time to Christmas tree). So my question is, will schools think I'm weird since Chem is so different from the other scores? I had As in Gen Chem and am still taking Organic I. Should I take the PCAT again in January?

Thanks guys. :( I am kinda freaking out now.

Thanks pharmdwannab, I was excited until I saw the Chem score. :( But I did expect a low score. I think you are right about some schools wanting at least a 50 in each section. Which schools are you applying to?

Wow! Congrats starsweet that's excellent! If you haven't taken organic chemistry than you really weren't prepared for half (over half IMO) of the material in that section. Schools have your complete application and see that. I don't know if that will help or not but they give you a composite for a reason. If your grades in Chemistry are good, especially upcoming Organic I think you will have NO problem.
To me, a score in the 90's is good regardless of the breakdown. Maybe you could contact the schools you are applying to and ask them if there is a cut off score for anyone section. I have seen some schools list those as a 50 or a 40.
But be proud of yourself! You did awesome! Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks ndearwater for the encouragement... so do you really think I don't need to take it again? I will definitely contact the schools and see about the section cutoff scores.

I guess my best revenge is to get As in Organic! That's gonna be tough though. :eek:

starsweet said:
Thanks ndearwater for the encouragement... so do you really think I don't need to take it again? I will definitely contact the schools and see about the section cutoff scores.

I guess my best revenge is to get As in Organic! That's gonna be tough though. :eek:

I know how I felt last year when I got my score (86)... I didn't even want to think about the PCAT much less start reviewing for it again. But everyone I know who did choose to retake it improved their score. And if it makes you feel better, I think it's worth the $105.
I don't think you NEED to retake it unless you are applying to schools with cutoff sections of 50 or higher. Because if they don't critique sections individually, a 91 is gonna make a great impression.
Organic is not easy but I was sort of scared before I went into it because people had their horror stories. It was easier for me than GenChem. It's kind of like the Algebra vs. Trig debate, usually people do better in one than the other. If you are good with spatial understanding, concepts and theories than you are with calculations, you will probably like Organic better. Even if that's not the case for you, if you go into OChem with the attitude, "This is gonna be hard and I'm going to have to work for my grades!" you'll probably do quite well. I got a B in OChem I and an A in II because I think I got used to the language of organic.
Enjoy your weekend and call the schools in question on Monday!

Starsweet,
I am applying to SCCP (MUSC), Wingate, Campbell and VCU which I know I won't get since they(VCU) are public. But, anyhow, I agree with ndearwater I think you did great and if your chem grades for this semester and next, I assume are good then I wouldn't worry! I am still at work and I am dying to know if my scores came in! I hope I did as well! Congrats once again!

Oh by the way, SCCP wants to see an overall composite of 70% at least and they didn't mention anything about sub-section minimums. I also emailed campbell and they told me that if I didn't do as well as I hoped I could retake it in January.

Thanks for all the advice/kind words guys!

I'll definitely call the schools Monday and ask... and I may still take the January PCAT, though I really don't want to. I still feel a little iffy about that chem score. Also I'm gonna try to kick ass in Organic Chem. I guess only my Org Chem I grade will matter, right (not Org Chem II)? I am definitely NOT a spatial person, cuz I understood Gen Chem a lot better than I do Org Chem! ;)