Bad credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LMBLBM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Removed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It will hurt you a little bit, but not catastrophically. As long as you keeping paying everything ON TIME.

Your credit score should have no bearing on your admissions, and should not affect your ability to get federal loans, unless you have absolutely wrecked your credit, such as declare bankruptcy.

Also if you have a way of paying off medical school all at once, why are you accumulating credit card debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your credit scores will be altered dramatically if you keep paying the minimum. You can try to reverse its effects by increasing the value of your payments. Another way is paying small things with another credit card and then liquidate the full amount before the billing date.

It depends on what your credit limit is. If your credit limit is $2000 and you have $2000 of debt, that's going to sting a bit, although as long as you don't miss a payment the effect shouldn't be too bad. On the other hand, if your limit is $10,000 then having $2000 of debt doesn't hurt you.

As pointed out though already, if you can pay off med school all at once then why are you having trouble paying off $2000?

Your credit scores will be altered dramatically if you keep paying the minimum. You can try to reverse its effects by increasing the value of your payments. Another way is paying small things with another credit card and then liquidate the full amount before the billing date.

Bad idea. If a card is constantly reported to bureaus with a balance of $0 they'll assume the card isn't being used and knock it off your report after awhile (six months I think). That in turn causes you to lose all the history associated with that card, so if it was your oldest account and one which you paid off every month, that's going to trash your score if you let that happen. It's always a good idea to leave a small amount on the card each month. What I do with my card is to pay it off and then make one or two small charges to it before the billing statement is made. As long as the utilization of the card is under 30% you're good to go.

Bad idea. If a card is constantly reported to bureaus with a balance of $0 they'll assume the card isn't being used and knock it off your report after awhile (six months I think). That in turn causes you to lose all the history associated with that card, so if it was your oldest account and one which you paid off every month, that's going to trash your score if you let that happen. It's always a good idea to leave a small amount on the card each month. What I do with my card is to pay it off and then make one or two small charges to it before the billing statement is made. As long as the utilization of the card is under 30% you're good to go.

I don't believe this point is true. I have never carried a balance on any of my credit cards and they all show up on my credit report, including credit cards I haven't used in years and last I checked my credit score was near 800. Additionally, many many people pay off their credit cards in full each month and never carry a balance. Paying it off completely is actually the best thing to do for your credit score.

I don't believe this point is true. I have never carried a balance on any of my credit cards and they all show up on my credit report, including credit cards I haven't used in years and last I checked my credit score was near 800. Additionally, many many people pay off their credit cards in full each month and never carry a balance. Paying it off completely is actually the best thing to do for your credit score.
Agreed. I only have one credit card, but I pay it in full monthly and have a excellent credit score. There is a difference in what your monthly balance is to be paid (which gets reported monthly) and the amount that you owe for previous months i.e. actual debt (which also gets reported). Paying off your bill every month shows that you are less likely to surpass your debt load and are a more reliable purchaser, which causes issuers to increase your credit limits over time, and agencies to raise your credit score (which is a measure of your reliability)