Bad Experiences with Admissions People

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rafflecopter

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would make this thread because I have already had a number of bad experiences with admissions people this application cycle and have been surprised at the frequency of these "incidents." These incidents have actually served to turn me off to particular schools, and I think its unwise for admissions staff to treat their applicants rudely/with disrespect since they are the first people applicants deal with at a school and they can very easily give perfectly good applicants a bad impression.

Please note, I am actually giving the school name, since I think it might be interesting to see which schools appear with greater frequency. I have had a number of bad experiences from other schools this cycle, but I wont talk about them until my application has had a decision made there.

Story #1:

I was filling out my Dartmouth secondary when I ran into a problem. Not enough space to fill out all my prerequisite grades. I called the admissions office. When I told the lady on the phone I had a question about the secondary I was put on hold.

Dr. X: "Dr X, Dean of Admissions." (or assistant dean, I forget)

Me: "Hello. I'm calling because I had a quick question regarding your secondary application. I am filling out the prerequisite portion and listing grades, but in my school labs were taken separately from lecture so there isn't enough space to put down all the classes. Any thoughts on what I should do?"

Dr. X: "What do YOU think you should do?" (very snide, condescending tone of voice)

Me: :confused: "Uhh. Well I think you should see all the grades, not only the ones I could fit on the application. I guess I would probably email you a document with all the courses and grades on there."

Dr X: "Fine then, do that. Click" (hangs up phone)

I mean really, how am I supposed to know how your school handles that dude? How am I supposed to know what YOU want?

Has anyone else encountered rude admissions staff/admissions committee members/interviewers that served to turn you off to particular schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought I would make this thread because I have already had a number of bad experiences with admissions people this application cycle and have been surprised at the frequency of these "incidents." These incidents have actually served to turn me off to particular schools, and I think its unwise for admissions staff to treat their applicants rudely/with disrespect since they are the first people applicants deal with at a school and they can very easily give perfectly good applicants a bad impression.

Please note, I am actually giving the school name, since I think it might be interesting to see which schools appear with greater frequency. I have had a number of bad experiences from other schools this cycle, but I wont talk about them until my application has had a decision made there.

Story #1:

I was filling out my Dartmouth secondary when I ran into a problem. Not enough space to fill out all my prerequisite grades. I called the admissions office. When I told the lady on the phone I had a question about the secondary I was put on hold.

Dr. X: "Dr X, Dean of Admissions." (or assistant dean, I forget)

Me: "Hello. I'm calling because I had a quick question regarding your secondary application. I am filling out the prerequisite portion and listing grades, but in my school labs were taken separately from lecture so there isn't enough space to put down all the classes. Any thoughts on what I should do?"

Dr. X: "What do YOU think you should do?" (very snide, condescending tone of voice)

Me: :confused: "Uhh. Well I think you should see all the grades, not only the ones I could fit on the application. I guess I would probably email you a document with all the courses and grades on there."

Dr X: "Fine then, do that. Click" (hangs up phone)

I mean really, how am I supposed to know how your school handles that dude? How am I supposed to know what YOU want?

Has anyone else encountered rude admissions staff/admissions committee members/interviewers that served to turn you off to particular schools?

I attempted to make sure that a med school received my return letter for acceptance four different times. They had no idea who I was and I'm still not sure if they received that letter....

You just have to keep in mind that they are processing so much stuff every single day. Its only natural that about half of it would go missing or fall through the cracks :rolleyes:

I attempted to make sure that a med school received my return letter for acceptance four different times. They had no idea who I was and I'm still not sure if they received that letter....

You just have to keep in mind that they are processing so much stuff every single day. Its only natural that about half of it would go missing or fall through the cracks :rolleyes:

I also did this, but through email. I didnt get the quickest response, but I got a sure response within a couple of days.

Members don't see this ad :)
This has the potential to be a very good, resourceful thread. It may last if people give more feedback. I however cannot think of any stories I have right now. Good luck everyone!

I forget about dartmouth but many of those schools have detailed instructions on what to do with the space. They still would have had your transcript from AMCAS with all your grades you know.

I wish hand delivering was a more popular option. Seriously, most of the time it would literally take me a half to and hour if I was to deliver all the stuff by hand...But...Now they have to go digital and mail. :(

I forget about dartmouth but many of those schools have detailed instructions on what to do with the space. They still would have had your transcript from AMCAS with all your grades you know.

I always look at secondary instructions/FAQs when I am unsure of something. If I ask the admissions office a question its because it isn't described elsewhere.

And yeah, I know they have the AMCAS transcript with all my grades, but by that logic they wouldn't need the "prerequisite grade" portion at all. It was a legitimate question and it was asked in a polite way, there certainly was no need to be hung up on or be given an attitude.

I always look at secondary instructions/FAQs when I am unsure of something. If I ask the admissions office a question its because it isn't described elsewhere.

And yeah, I know they have the AMCAS transcript with all my grades, but by that logic they wouldn't need the "prerequisite grade" portion at all. It was a legitimate question and it was asked in a polite way, there certainly was no need to be hung up on or be given an attitude.

I am sorry about your bad experience, but Dartmouth has been one of the most professional and friendliest schools I have dealt with during the cycle. They have always been very helpful and personable to me. The Dean sends handwritten notes for acceptances and again after you hold your space in the class.

The secretaries were always encouraging the interviewees to be social and talkative. May be one of them was having a bad day when you called. I am sure it happens with every school.

I am sorry about your bad experience, but Dartmouth has been one of the most professional and friendliest schools I have dealt with during the cycle. They have always been very helpful and personable to me. The Dean sends handwritten notes for acceptances and again after you hold your space in the class.

The secretaries were always encouraging the interviewees to be social and talkative. May be one of them was having a bad day when you called. I am sure it happens with every school.

I actually have to agree with this. Although I have not gotten a handwritten note of acceptance from Dartmouth, unfortunately.