Bad Freshman Undergrad Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrWhoMakesAdiff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my first semester I ended up getting a 2.888883 gpa. This semester [2nd semester] isn't looking so great either. I was just wondering, what are my chances of bringing up my gpa & trying to get into Duke Medical School (my dream school). I also go to a smaller university, one not so well known. [University of Wisconsin - Green Bay]. I'm working on trying to get my CNA so I can get back into the hospital and I plan to volunteer & partake in research seeing as that is a major aspect into getting into Medical school. my only problem is my GPA at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.

Is that the proper number of sig figs?

Forget about Duke right now. If you don't get your gpa up you won't be going to med school at all. Focus on grades. If you volunteer, work as a cna, do research, etc., it will be a waste of time. Focus on getting as close to a 4.0 as possible. Don't worry about schools too much. But to set a goal, if you don't get a 3.8+ from this point on, I wouldn't plan on Duke.

You can definitely recover, but forget about everything else and get your study habits figured out. You cannot get more sub 3.0 semesters.

So my first semester I ended up getting a 2.888883 gpa. This semester [2nd semester] isn't looking so great either. I was just wondering, what are my chances of bringing up my gpa & trying to get into Duke Medical School (my dream school). I also go to a smaller university, one not so well known. [University of Wisconsin - Green Bay]. I'm working on trying to get my CNA so I can get back into the hospital and I plan to volunteer & partake in research seeing as that is a major aspect into getting into Medical school. my only problem is my GPA at the moment.
Don't dilute your attention with ECs right now. Your primary goal is a great GPA. The longer it takes you to figure out how to get superb grades, the longer, more difficult, and more expensive it will be to bail yourself out of a low GPA situation.

Duke is a highly-selective school. If you don't figure things out soon, your dream has no chance to come true. There are many other med schools out there that aren't so fussy, though.

Have you met with an academic counselor? Do you go to tutoring sessions? Do you see professors during office hours to ask questions? Are you cutting out some of the fun?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, sorry it was a 2.83. I guess I was just worried that there wouldn't be enough time to do ECs such as research just because I haven't gotten to talk to my advisor about such things yet. Yes, I am focusing much more on my GPA now. I plan on cutting out everything else that has interfered with it. & after figuring out my grades for this semester, I still have a chance for a decent GPA this year. Starting next fall I plan to focus much, much more on my GPA, trying to get straight A's. I'm going to be living off-campus which I've realized living on campus is what is ruining me. Thanks!

Hi. I had a 2.65 my first semester and am a soph and have a 3.6. So don't worry I didn't read all your post though.