Bad freshman year.. what are my chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goblue102

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my freshman year at the University of Michigan with what will probably be a 3.0-3.1 cumulative GPA. I got a B+ in Gen Chem, B in gen chem lab, C+ in calculus, B in orgo 1, and A in orgo 1 lab. I will be taking orgo 2 and orgo 2 lab this upcoming spring semester. I am really upset about my grades and don't know if i'll even have a chance to get into med school with my B in orgo 1 and C+ in calculus. I am hoping to increase my GPA to a 3.6 or 3.7 by the time I apply but i don't know if this is even possible with my terrible freshman year. First semester I found myself caught up with my new social life and the party scene so I blame myself for my bad grades first semester but I then realized I should focus on school so I studied a lot 2nd semester and the results were the same. I don't know what to do!

I did research at a molecular and behavioral neuroscience lab this year and will probably be back at the same lab next year doing my own research project. If I work really hard I feel like I can do decent on the MCAT but i'm not sure if my terrible freshman year and my grades in science/math classes so far will hinder my chances.. HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my freshman year at the University of Michigan with what will probably be a 3.0-3.1 cumulative GPA. I got a B+ in Gen Chem, B in gen chem lab, C+ in calculus, B in orgo 1, and A in orgo 1 lab. I will be taking orgo 2 and orgo 2 lab this upcoming spring semester. I am really upset about my grades and don't know if i'll even have a chance to get into med school with my B in orgo 1 and C+ in calculus. I am hoping to increase my GPA to a 3.6 or 3.7 by the time I apply but i don't know if this is even possible with my terrible freshman year. First semester I found myself caught up with my new social life and the party scene so I blame myself for my bad grades first semester but I then realized I should focus on school so I studied a lot 2nd semester and the results were the same. I don't know what to do!

I did research at a molecular and behavioral neuroscience lab this year and will probably be back at the same lab next year doing my own research project. If I work really hard I feel like I can do decent on the MCAT but i'm not sure if my terrible freshman year and my grades in science/math classes so far will hinder my chances.. HELP!

You will be fine if you do very well from here until you graduate. Adcoms understand freshman year is a transition, but analyze what you did wrong and change it now because if this occurs for another year, you will be in serious trouble. I can relate...F in calc and D+ in gbio freshman year for a 2.5 cum. I graduated with a 3.5 and am accepted at my #1 choice MD school to matriculate this fall so it can be done. I decided to take a year off after graduation in order to include my senior grades to bring my gpa up even more so it may be best that you do that. Good luck.

Since your grades were similiar even though you felt you focused better during the second semester, I suggest you meet with one of the academic counselors at your school to discuss some different strategies. There's no point in going back for sophomore year and using the same approach, since it didn't work.

I agree with mdbound, that if you can get your act together, there's still time to redeem your academic record. Maybe you shouldn't distract yourself with ECs that will take too much time away from your first priority, namely excellence in academics.