bad GPA + good MCATs for SMPs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosita013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My science GPA is horrible (~2.7) but my MCAT scores are reasonable (~33 on practice exams). I go to a highly competitive university and have struggled to keep my science grades up, especially since the classes and exams are based on experimental thinking/design more than concepts, and unlike most of my peers, I had no research experience prior to college. What are my chances of being accepted to an SMP program? I am especially looking at Drexel's and BU's, and I am not sure how competitive those are.

Members don't see this ad.

My science GPA is horrible (~2.7) but my MCAT scores are reasonable (~33 on practice exams). I go to a highly competitive university and have struggled to keep my science grades up, especially since the classes and exams are based on experimental thinking/design more than concepts, and unlike most of my peers, I had no research experience prior to college. What are my chances of being accepted to an SMP program? I am especially looking at Drexel's and BU's, and I am not sure how competitive those are.

If you are interested in these programs, why not contact them? There is likely to be someone who can give you specific advice as to how you can make yourself competitive for one of these. When you get your actual MCAT score, you will have more information for them. Practice tests may be or many not be an indicator of what your actual score will be. With an actual score,you can then ask some of the advisers for these programs where you stand.

Agree that the practice MCAT exams may not reflect the actual score you will get. The actual exam may be harder.

I think you need to concentrate on bringing up your GPA, or chance majors if you can't get better than a 2.7. That's really going to hurt you if and when you apply to med school.

Worry about postbac once you've graduated from college. Better yet, if med school is your goal, change to a major that is good for a premed, and that you are interested in and think you can do well in.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone with an uncommonly low GPA matched with a relatively high MCAT, I can vouch that you really need to bring your GPA up. I was afraid of my marketability because of my 3.3 GPA, but thought that I was probably golden after I received a 36 on the MCATs. I am definitely not getting the love that I expected. Granted there may be other forces at work. Maybe my ECc aren’t great, maybe my essays have failed to impress or maybe I just chose my schools poorly.

In any case, I would do something drastic to bring your GPA up if you want to have any breathing room at all come applications.

Just my 2 cents…

As someone with an uncommonly low GPA matched with a relatively high MCAT, I can vouch that you really need to bring your GPA up. I was afraid of my marketability because of my 3.3 GPA, but thought that I was probably golden after I received a 36 on the MCATs. I am definitely not getting the love that I expected. Granted there may be other forces at work. Maybe my ECc aren’t great, maybe my essays have failed to impress or maybe I just chose my schools poorly.

In any case, I would do something drastic to bring your GPA up if you want to have any breathing room at all come applications.

Just my 2 cents…

I think your late application dates have more to do with the slowness of your responses than anything. I have a feeling you'll have a bunch of interview invites later in the application cycle.

What does SMPs stand for?

SMPs are Special Masters Programs which are usually masters programs that will enhance your credentials for medical school if you do well in them. Many of these programs will require that you take essentially the same coursework as medical students. The key to these being an advantage is that you must do well in a fairly competitive atmosphere. These are generally "last chance" and most people who are in these programs are highly motivated to do their best work.

You can find a list of these programs on the AAMC site. There are various requirements across the board but a strong performance in one of these can put you in a good position for entry into medical school. Some of these programs have linkage with various medical schools meaning that if you are a strong performer, you are automatically admitted into medical school. Again, check the AAMC website for types and characteristics as there is a great variety in these SMPs.

Here's the link from the AAMC website: Postbacculaureate Pre-Medical Programs. This link lists all of the postbacc and SMPs.

OP - How many credits have you taken so far?
It sounds like you are pretty far along, which doesn't help.
Try to do whatever damage control you can at this point.
Take fewer classes each semester; do anything just so that you get as many A's as possible.

Once you are done or in the last semester, then you can start worrying about the next steps.

I can't speak for Drexel or BU, but G-town wants to see over a 3.0 cumulative for admission... My science GPA is just below 3.0, and my cumulative is just above it.

Work as HARD as you can to get some strong grades as you finish up your degree that will make a big difference, and don't make any plans off of practice MCATs. You could score higher or lower on the real thing both situations would change your plans.

Good luck!