Jun 3, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I graduated with a Biomedical Engineering degree from a state school in NY a year ago. I am currently working in a lab and taking one post-bac class / semester. I was just wondering what my chances are and any suggestion is welcomed. In addition, I am a pennsylvania resident and English is my second language

cGPA 3.23
sGPA 3.1
I graduated with 175 credits although all I needed was 128.

MCAT P/V/B

May '09 11/7/8
July '09 9/7/10

I will have three publications at end of this year. One third author, one second author and the first author paper has just submitted.

Scribe for 2 years > 700 hours , basically I followd doctor around and wrote on the patient charts. I checked x ray, I helped suturing and putting cast on patients etc..
Research 3 years in undergard, working full-time for a year
Rugby 2 years
Orgo TA, 1 semester
Volunteer at hospital, 1 year

In addition, due to my financial situation, I am unlikely to attend any master program. I will probably not take MCAT again for this cycle because I am trying to finish one of my projects.

Any chance with US MD school?
I am considering EVMS, VCU, GW and Tulane.

Thanks

Last edited:

Stratego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
Your ECs are very good.

Your chances aren't great for a US MD school: I'd say 25-30% chance if you have a very forgiving state school and other modifying factors on your application. See: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm

Completing an SMP (Special Masters Program) and improving your MCAT score would help a lot, particularly raising that low verbal score.

muhali3

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 6, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Very nice research but a 3.2 GPA and 27 MCAT still make your chances very low. The quickest way to improve your app is to retake the MCAT and try to score 34+. Some schools may still give you an interview due to your ECs so its worth giving a shot.

OP
K
Jun 3, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
According to the link, I have 20% chance. Should I even bother to apply 10~15 schools without retaking the MCAT?

thanks

Your ECs are very good.

Your chances aren't great for a US MD school: I'd say 25-30% chance if you have a very forgiving state school and other modifying factors on your application. See: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm

Completing an SMP (Special Masters Program) and improving your MCAT score would help a lot, particularly raising that low verbal score.

Stratego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
According to the link, I have 20% chance. Should I even bother to apply 10~15 schools without retaking the MCAT?

thanks
My apologies; you are correct. I thought you got a 27 on one of the tests (as did muhali).

People have a different tolerance of risk. Personally, I would not apply at this time.

DaTruMD

10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2008
Your EC aren't enough to compensate for those low stats. Maybe DO will work out.

FutureCTDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Sunny South Florida
Status
Pre-Medical
Apply to top and mid tier osteopathic as well as low through mid allo. Western-U, MSU-COM, KCOM, NSU-COM, PCOM, MWU, OSU-COM and OUCOM come to mind as well as state schools, Puerto Rican Med schools if you have ties to PR and are fluent in Spanish as well as a smattering of state MD schools. Also for safeties LMU-DCOM, WVSOM, KCUMB-COM, RVU-COM and PCOM-GA.