bad grade after being accepted to med school???

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by autumnchai, Dec 10, 2001.

1. autumnchai

autumnchai Member
    10+ Year Member

Do schools ever revoke acceptances due to a bad grade in a science (but not pre-med requirement) course? I have been squeaking by with a 2.5/3.0 in my biochem course (granted the average for the class is a 0.0) and have no idea what the curve is like or how badly I bombed the final I studied 100 hours for... It would royally suck to work so hard and get accepted to schools just to have it all taken away...

2. Starflyr

Starflyr Manic Faerie
    10+ Year Member

Most schools will tell you up front - for example, at UTMB, if you earn a grade lower than a C after you are accepted, they *may* rescind your acceptance. This was VERY CLEARLY stated on the acceptance letter (along with: if you dont graduate before the date of matriculation, your acceptance may be rescinded). If you cant find it, call them and ask. They certaintly wont rescind it just b/c you ASKED, hey?

goodluck!
    Star

3. THE instiGATOR

THE instiGATOR Cow Tipper
    7+ Year Member

The school that accepted me said that I must perform at a level equal to my previous work. I suppose this means that anything above my lowest achievement level during past semesters is OK (within the norm).

4. 12R34Y

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My acceptance "stuff" said that I could not get a D or F in any class and am expected to keep the same type of grades that i'd been getting or "you come up for review" again.

later

5. autumnchai

autumnchai Member
    10+ Year Member

yeah...i have gotten the "cannot perform below previous performance" on my acceptance letter...problem is that i have a 4.0 science gpa (if that is a problem)...a 2.5 or even a 3.0 look a bit different in comparison (though i am 4.0-ing my last pre-med requirement...physics II).

6. Barton

Barton Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

dude, I am scared I'm going to get a C in biochem. This blows, cuz my MCW acceptance letter says the same "previous performance" thing. Since I only have a 3.3 (3.0 sci), do you think one C is OK (i'll still have a 3.0 with an A and 2 B's-all science)? Man, I don't want to blow it now.

7. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I'm starting to get nervous as well. I may have taken it too easy for the last couple of months. I don't expect more than one C, if I do get it, in the sciences. I am staring down the barrel of a C in German, though.

8. Hannibal Gabriel

7+ Year Member

After being accepted to Kentucky in October, I took histology the next semester. I spent a lot of time on the computer and playing video games, and not a whole lot of time reading or going to class, and earned myself a C in that class when my only previous B's were in organic chemistry. I was worried about it, but nobody ever noticed it at all. In fact, they still even gave me a scholarship. So, I wouldn't get too uptight.

9. mvalento

mvalento Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    i am of the opinion that schools just want you to get a passing grade (i.e. C or better) on the classes required for matriculation. hey man, if i can get accepted to med school with 2 C's (one in a required class), i think anyone getting one after being accepted is safe.

bud

10. BeeGee

BeeGee Member
    7+ Year Member

At my medical school, there are midcourse evaluations that let a review committee know your level of performance. As long as noone gets below a C+, they are fine. If so, remediation or expulsion is the next step. In your case, read your school's academic policies section of the catalog and look for Probationary periods that might be imposed due to poor performance. These periods are implemented at our school and usually include several restrictions. Everyone is held to the same standard though, not based on previous performance. Those of us with 3.7 gpas and 34 on MCATs would never make it out of medical school. From talking with other medical students at other universities, all schools seem to be very tough in testing so 4.0s on this level don't come as easy as in undergrad, so do your best, get tutoring if necessary, and don't wait too late to ask for help if you see yourself seeping into the abyss of the C-... :(

11. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member