deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pacific_Ocean

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a D in ochem1 and a B+ in ochem2. Should I still consider being premed?
Yes, but you will very likely have to re-take ocehm1...as a D is not an acceptable grade for most med schools.

Retake the D regardless
I know someone who had one F, D and W but still trying! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can retake the D and do well, as well as offer an explanation for your poor performance the first time around (death in the family, maybe a bad break up?) and your other grades are good, I don't think it would prevent you from getting in. I'd imagine going from a D in the pre-requisite to a B+ in the subsequent class would reflect somewhat positively, you must have had some serious catching up to do. (FYI I'm also a pre-med, so I don't know anything that you don't, but personally I wouldn't give up over it).

In general, a low grade in one or a few classes will not preclude you from medical school. One of my students got a C+ in organic chemistry and is now at a top 10 med school. But it is important to have a strong upward trend - a C in your freshman year is not the same as a C in your junior/senior years. But as others say, you might have to retake the D since med schools may not accept the D in a pre-req course.

My school is set up in such a way that D's are still passing and it's very uncommon to retake a class. Since I've already taken ochem2 now, would another ochem class be an allowable substitute for a D in ochem1?

That's odd. No you can't substitute Orgo 1 for another class. Some schools allow you to substitute Orgo 2 for biochemistry but you have to take Orgo 1 and get at least a C.

Reactions: 1 user
My school is set up in such a way that D's are still passing and it's very uncommon to retake a class. Since I've already taken ochem2 now, would another ochem class be an allowable substitute for a D in ochem1?
no

Just retake it. If you can't at your current school do it elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 users