Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Bad grades in freshman/ 1st yr... am I dead in the water ???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by C.A.R, Aug 2, 2002.

1. C.A.R

C.A.R New Member

I wanted to get an honest opinion of what my chances of a career in medicine would be?

Here is the background information, I lived in Jamaica before coming to the US to live here permanently and do school, but I don?t think I was fully integrated up here for a yr or so. In that exact time frame my grads were bad, nothing but Cs and I have TWO Ws (one for a class I was in because I had no pre-requisites and I was slow to realize I should have dropped it much sooner ). My last semester has been much better with B?s and A?s? and I know I can pull my GPA up if I redo those same courses I did so poorly in. (I am 44 credits, so I will be doing 3 more yrs of schooling)

The truth of the matter is that I don?t want to fool my self into believing something that might be out of reach? I am doing Volunteer work in Shock Trauma down here in Baltimore?s UMMC? and it was something that me realize that being a M.D in STC must be my life goal. Sometime soon I will be learning EMT from the volunteer fire department, I guess this should be a good experience for my interests in the health sciences.

What do you guys think of my present situation? Medical school after college would be a dream? but if its not possible? I guess that might be something later down the road, or I may try my luck at the University of the West-indies since my mother went there and I am a Jamaican citizen (though I am a permanent resident of MD).
    :(

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 8744

8744 Guest

Non-Student
    Don't worry about it. I was kicked out of college for bad grades. I mean really bad, bad grades, which clung to me like a cheap suit even after I went back.

I still got into medical school with a cumulative GPA of 2.9. Of course, when I returned to school I buckled down and did really well on the pre-med requirements and got a respectable (but not outstanding) MCAT score.

If you are young, why not take a few years off and become a paramedic? Then when you return to school and apply to medical school there will be a clear cut difference between the old and new you.

A couple of years won't hurt you. Most medical schools like older students. I'm 38 and am only the third oldest in my class.

4. C.A.R

C.A.R New Member

Since I have 3 more yrs (since I am repeating week subjects that I think are important)... I hope to become a paramedic.

Or I could spend 5yrs in the military in one of there Health sciences department.

Eather way, I feel very confident that I could get into UWI med school or Grand school up here after I get my degree.

Just wish me luck.

Thanks

5. shag

shag Supreme Procrastinator

Medical schools pay attention to trends. I had and "ascending profile", which simply means I had too much fun my freshman year and spent the rest of my college career making up for it. My GPA applying was 3.3, but I had a 3.8 - 4.0 for my last 2 yrs.

If you kick a$$ your last couple of years, or if you take graduate classes and do well, you can note your earlier poor performance in your personal statement as "adversity" (or immaturity :) ).

A good MCAT, volunteer activities, and evidence that you've corrected your evil ways (proof you can perform in class) can overcome a GPA.

6. poloace

poloace Senior Member

i hope this is true-
    cuz my grades blow- but i have a solid positive trend

7. exigente chica

Don't worry, you have plenty of time. Many people suffer from terrible freshman years, just make sure you do well from here on out..

Good Luck

What part of Jamacia?:clap:

8. Bikini Princess

I think that you still have potential to enter med school in the U.S. Here are some observations, from what you said.

1. Maybe you should wait until the June after you've graduated from undergrad to apply - that way, your gpa will be higher, hopefully, than your junior year. This might also give you more time to prepare for the MCAT.

2. I've heard that amcas will computes both grades into your gpa if you retake a class, unlike many colleges. So retaking those classes may not improve your amcas gpa any more than taking a different class.

3. I understand that strong science gpa's are usually slightly more important than overall gpa. So be sure to get a's in science classes especially.

It sounds like you have a sincere interest in medicine, good luck! :)

9. Intrepidation

Intrepidation I wear PASG underwear

unless you go to a university that has their health sciences on the same campus (most have them at a health center near hospitals and not on campus) It is going to be difficult becoming a paramedic while attending college elsewhere. For the certification, its a good 40-50 semester hours of class, and that isn't figuring in all the hours needed in rotations. You may be able to knock off some of the requirements during the summer (like EMT-B), but most places don't offer upper EMT classes at summer or night during the school year.

As for your grades, I am in the same situation. My GPA has me on academic probation this year. Needless to say, I am going to spend the next 3 years making up for it. Only if I don't get in on the first try am I considering obtaining my EMT-P for a year or two to boost my GPA as well as provide some nice clinical experience.

It really sucks knowing what drugs to push in the cardiac protocol and being able to interpret EKG's, but being an EMT-B, not being allowed to do either :x

10. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member

What school did you get into? State/outstate? Are you an URM?

11. kenfused

kenfused Senior Member
    Partner Organization

Keep studying, and keep the trends ascending and you should do fine.
    The MCAT will be key for you if you have less than stellar grades early on.

Comment: while some schools are known for taking some older students (UC Davis) in particular, some are not (UCLA generally has a younger average age), so you can check the stats for the various schools.