Bad grades in Ochem/Physics. Do I still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elpoj16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my Physics 2 final and really bombed it. I'm afraid that I will get a D in the class, if not I will for sure get a C. I already have C's in Ochem 1 and 2 and a C+ in Applied Calc 2. Obviously if I get a D in Physics I will retake it but I know that it will still be counted when I apply to med school. I am just worried that this ruined my chances. I have a 3.269 GPA and I have A's in all of my other classes this semester. I have 300 volunteer hours in the Emergency Department of a level 1 trauma center and do research in a neuroscience lab. I am also involved in a Women in Leadership and Learning program. I haven't taken my MCAT yet but plan to do so in January. Do I still have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get anything besides Cs/Ds on any of your pre-reqs? Do you have any left to take? Your best bet is to probably retake everything and ace it then apply DO using the grade replacement.

Apply broadly to DO schools. You'll do fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get anything besides Cs/Ds on any of your pre-reqs? Do you have any left to take? Your best bet is to probably retake everything and ace it then apply DO using the grade replacement.
I have a's and b's in everything else. I am taking biochem in the fall and I still have upper level neuroscience courses to take. My advisor said as long as I do well in biochem and my upper level courses that I should be ok but that was before I did poorly on this physics exam

I have a's and b's in everything else. I am taking biochem in the fall and I still have upper level neuroscience courses to take. My advisor said as long as I do well in biochem and my upper level courses that I should be ok but that was before I did poorly on this physics exam

You would be ok for DOs then as long as you do decent on the mcat. Your science GPA could hold you back though and definitely takes you out of the running for any MD schools.

You would be ok for DOs then as long as you do decent on the mcat. Your science GPA could hold you back though and definitely takes you out of the running for any MD schools.
So even if I did really well in all my other upper level courses and/or did a post bacc program, do you still think all MD schools are out of the running?

This could mean a lot of things. Is it like an A- in bio 1 and Bs in gen chem and bio 2 or did you get multiple As in prerequisites? If you can't get good grades in your prerequisites, you will have issues with the MCAT and probably the USMLE. In that case you should probably explore other careers.

This could mean a lot of things. Is it like an A- in bio 1 and Bs in gen chem and bio 2 or did you get multiple As in prerequisites? If you can't get good grades in your prerequisites, you will have issues with the MCAT and probably the USMLE. In that case you should probably explore other careers.
Multiple A's and B's. I kind of slacked off early on but have been working hard and have been on an upward trend. I'm just afraid I've ruined it.

Nope
not even joking

Well, anyone can get into med school with any stats (as low as 1.0 GPA and 3 MCAT), as long as they retake all coursework (anything below C's), retake the MCAT to get a 28, get basic ECs done, write decent essays, interview normally and apply broadly to DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're struggling that much in your core classes, expecting to get all A's and even B's in your upper division classes might be harder than you think. Currently with a 3.2 gpa and that many sub-par grades in your prereqs is going to definitely hurt your chances of getting into an MD, but who cares continue trying hard and just apply to DO and MD schools. And retake those courses cause right now it looks like you don't have a good foundation in the courses you need to even attempt to take the MCAT.

You could apply MD in Grand Cayman islands. Great weather, gorgeous beach, and absolutely stunning girls! You can't say no to that.

So even if I did really well in all my other upper level courses and/or did a post bacc program, do you still think all MD schools are out of the running?

Well 4 C's in science pre-reqs is going to wreck your science GPA. Maybe if you have A's in everything else you might be able to pull a 3.3 sGPA, which would give you a shot at the lower tier MD schools. But to pull As on the rest of your upper levels and do well on the MCAT after struggling in Ochem and physics is going to be tough. But if you do well and get an above average MCAT you might be able to squeak in to whatever the lower tier in-state MD schools are for you. You should aim for that but also be ready to accept a DO.

You need some As. In fact, you need a lot of those. Work really hard on those upper level science courses and retake what you can, but don't expect to get into an allopathic program. You need to be looking at DO programs if you're trying to be a doctor.

lol I know many people with Cs that got into medical school, 3.3 isn't the end of the world. I mean the average for many schools is a 3.6. Average, as in many 4.0s and below 3.6s in the mix.

I'm not sure whether retaking those courses is an option. My school doesn't let anyone retake a course unless they receive an F. It's better to receive an F than a D, because if you get an F, you can at least retake the course and replace your grade; if you get a D, you're stuck with it.

I'm not sure whether retaking those courses is an option. My school doesn't let anyone retake a course unless they receive an F. It's better to receive an F than a D, because if you get an F, you can at least retake the course and replace your grade; if you get a D, you're stuck with it.
A lot of schools yet you retake, but not replace.

I am telling you it is going to be a beast. I'm talking from experience. I had Cs in several science courses. That caused me to not only retake but take an erroneous amount of extra classes to count in my science GPA.

This was posted in MD so I'm gonna say no, for MD.

You need some As. In fact, you need a lot of those. Work really hard on those upper level science courses and retake what you can, but don't expect to get into an allopathic program. You need to be looking at DO programs if you're trying to be a doctor.
What if a did an SMP or something like that?