Bad grades- so depressed- need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueElmo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I'm a third year at Berkeley and I had a 3.77 coming into this semester. I found upper div bio really hard and ended up with B- in biochemistry and C+ in genetics. Will this drastically hurt my chances at UC schools and Top 50 medical schools? Is that C+ death knell for me? I am so depressed right now.
Now I have 3.62 but if I ace next semester I can bring it up to 3.70.
Thanks all. Oh, and I have a 34S on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Had a C+ in Orgo II and got in (and it hasn't come up in my interviews, so maybe the schools just didn't notice?... though that's doubtful). There are plenty of stories like that. Get all A's next semester to show you can respond to some adversity and you should be OK. Nice MCAT, btw.

Just like the other guy said, don't kill yourself over this one bad semester...you have been a great student in the past and can definitely do it again next semester...I have no knowledge about the CA schools...but I do know that I also earned a C+ in genetics, had a 34 MCAT, and currently attend a top 30 school...just learn from whatever mistakes you made, do well, and I think things will turn out great for you too:)

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, I'm guessing you're talking about MCB 102 and 140? First of all, those are well-known hard classes...don't beat yourself up over it! You'll be fine. Your GPA is still decent and with a good spring semester, you can bring that GPA up into the high range.

Don't worry I had same problem in 2nd year (3.13) and made up in 3rd year (3.73). Plus, this fall fourth year did hurt a bit (3.72). Still here :)

You still got 3 semesters to go...it can help you come up least to 3.75

You are gonna be just fine! I had almost straight B's my second year with a B- in ochem, hasn't come up once on interviews.

Was Biochemistry horrible? Any advice for what to study over break? I made flashcards with the nucleic acids and amino acids containing properties and structure but thats it thus far. Any other vital thing that would help to get a jump start on, BlueElmo?

I am taking it next semester, yet I love the professor as I had him for Orgo and got an A-

I'm nervous for this next semester as it will be my last before applying (have a 3.73 now)

I will be taking:

- Genetics
- Biochemistry
- Microbial Ecology
- Physics II and Lab
- Research with Faculty Mentor (Microbiology, specifically with p. aeruginosa)

Was Biochemistry horrible? Any advice for what to study over break? I made flashcards with the nucleic acids and amino acids containing properties and structure but thats it thus far. Any other vital thing that would help to get a jump start on, BlueElmo?

I am taking it next semester, yet I love the professor as I had him for Orgo and got an A-

I'm nervous for this next semester as it will be my last before applying (have a 3.73 now)

I will be taking:

- Genetics
- Biochemistry
- Microbial Ecology
- Physics II and Lab

for structures, just draw your brains out. draw draw draw.

I will be taking:

- Genetics
- Biochemistry
- Microbial Ecology
- Physics II and Lab

It depends on what your biochemistry course is focused on. At my institution, there were separate biochemistry courses for chemistry majors only and biochemistry/biology majors. I'm not sure what exactly the course for chem. majors entailed, but for me, it was learning about basic biochemical mechanisms that occur in metabolism (glycolysis, TCA cycle, ETC, etc.), amino acid synthesis, fatty acid synthesis, etc.

Instead of fearing the classes you're about to take, it helps to think about practical uses for learning the material. For example, learning cholesterol synthesis and inflammatory processes really helped me to understand the mechanisms of how popular drugs used in the medical community work.

hey thanks for all the replies. You guys give me some hope. An jgberken, yeah it was 102 but the other one was 142, which is survey course. I'm thinking of taking 140 in spring to at least get a B+. But I only get one unit because I already took 142. Do you think that's worth it only to show adcoms I can bounce back?

No, a C+ doesn't need proof...and taking 140 isn't worth it. A lot of people do badly in 140 (my friend got back his great yesterday and it was a D :eek: and he's a smart guy who always get A's in his MCB classes), and you don't want to end up with another C. I know it sucks, but the most important thing is your cGPA and sGPA. Your individual grades don't really matter, so don't worry at all. But to maximize your chances of getting accepted at a UC, get your GPA up to a 3.7.

Believe me, elmo, you'll do just fine! Your GPA is high, your MCAT is great...all you need is good PS/secondaries and you're set. :)

Wow, depressed over a C+? I'd call you a troll but I forgot where I was for a second.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, depressed over a C+? I'd call you a troll but I forgot where I was for a second.

lol. This is my first C range grade I ever got in my life, so you can imagine how I must feel. Hell, I never got below B+ since high school.
Once again, thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm just going buckle my belt and really really work hard next semester.

lol. This is my first C range grade I ever got in my life, so you can imagine how I must feel. Hell, I never got below B+ since high school.
Once again, thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm just going buckle my belt and really really work hard next semester.

I would advise getting some more Cs and get out a little.

I posted this in another thread so here it is again:

I think that there is a real issue on SDN in that a lot of people who lurk here see all the 4.0 or 3.9 people, and freak out from it.

For all of those people who are worried follow these simple rules before posting:
1) If you have nothing lower than a B-, it's not worth posting, as someone will just end up calling you a troll and saying you should go to the Caribbean.
2) If you have one C is a non-science class, do not post, as medical schools will not care, and you will again be sent to the Caribbean by SDN again.
3) If you have one C is an AMCAS science class, do not post, as one grade will NOT break your application. SDN people will again send you to the Caribbean.
4) If you have multiple C's in non-science classes, post if your cumulative GPA is lower than 3.5. Otherwise, you will again be sent to the Caribbean.
5) If you have multiple C's in an AMCAS science courses, do not post unless you have a cumulative GPA under 3.5 or a science GPA under 3.3. If you do, you will be directed to the Caribbean.
6) If you have grades lower than C in non-science courses, and your GPA is under 3.5, post - but only if you can give a valid reason for the grade.
7) If you have grades lower than C in AMCAS science courses, post regardless of GPA, and give reasons for the grade. Be prepared to be told to retake the course and then go to the Caribbean.
8) If you have one W, do not post, as no one cares about one of these.
9) If you have more than one W and a GPA under 3.5, post and include why you dropped the classes. Be prepared for SDNers to say that because you drop too many course you are not med school material.

All of this comes down to one fact. Grades are only a part of what goes into your application. Don't worry about them so much. If you are worried, feel free to post. However, be aware that the answer you are going to receive will most likely include the words "you" "Caribbean" and "terrible applicant".

hey guys, I'm a third year at Berkeley and I had a 3.77 coming into this semester. I found upper div bio really hard and ended up with B- in biochemistry and C+ in genetics. Will this drastically hurt my chances at UC schools and Top 50 medical schools? Is that C+ death knell for me? I am so depressed right now.
Now I have 3.62 but if I ace next semester I can bring it up to 3.70.
Thanks all. Oh, and I have a 34S on the MCAT.
Naah, your life isn't over, but definitely try and bang out As in the upper div bio classes.

I will be taking:

- Genetics
- Biochemistry
- Microbial Ecology
- Physics II and Lab
You should study the impact of superfluous academic ambition on one's social satisfaction and emotional intelligence.

I will be taking:

- Genetics
- Biochemistry
- Microbial Ecology
- Physics II and Lab

holy god that will be a crappy semester of studying and having no life. Unless you're a genius. :idea:

holy god that will be a crappy semester of studying and having no life. Unless you're a genius. :idea:

Not a genius... more like a psycho.

I feel I will be okay in Microbial Ecology as the professor described the course to me personally and it felt like something I could handle pretty easily. Genetics is taught by a great professor that I just had for Cell Biology and I did well on all of his tests and I understand what he is asking for in the exams, so I should be fine there as well. Physics, I hate but will get through it. Biochemistry I am nervous for... will definitely be my hardest class.

I'm not really nervous for the semester too bad, just that I am MCAT prepping while this semester is going on...

Hope I can handle it.

(Gave myself a month of free time before the MCAT as well since I end end of April and my MCAT is May 28)

hey guys, I'm going to take Immunology and Physiology for next semester. And I'm kind of thinking of taking a Cell Bio class. But that's three upper div bio and I really can't afford to screw up, so should I just take a easy elective class instead?
I really want to show adcoms that my bad grades in biochem and genetics was just a fluke. Does it matter if I take 2 vs 3 upper div bio classes next semester?

hey guys, I'm going to take Immunology and Physiology for next semester. And I'm kind of thinking of taking a Cell Bio class. But that's three upper div bio and I really can't afford to screw up, so should I just take a easy elective class instead?
I really want to show adcoms that my bad grades in biochem and genetics was just a fluke. Does it matter if I take 2 vs 3 upper div bio classes next semester?

physiology is easy, cell bio is easy

just watch out for immuno! know how each professor tests and you will be fine!

Uh...don't stress about it. As long as you can graduate, take as few science classes together at a time and do well in them. No one will care if you got a 4.0 with 8 units or a 4.0 with 12 units of upper division work as long as you pull off the grades.

If you're taking 150, I've heard it's pretty rough, but my girlfriend ignored me for a week before the final and managed to do well. Physiology (IB 132?) is pretty cake. Not like Anatomy, but I haven't heard people having too much trouble with it. I'd pass on taking Cell Biology right now. It's not hard, but it's not easy either and given that you seem to be taking your biochem and genetics grades a little bit poorly, you might as well give yourself a self-esteem boost and relax a little. Again, if your schedule allows you to graduate on time...