Bad idea for adversity essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fd25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of various adversities I have faced in my life and how they have affected me, and the one that stands out to me as truly influential in my life is the fact that I grew up in a household with two functionally alcoholic parents. I spent a great deal of my younger years thinking that their behavior was normal, but it wasn't until I started visiting my friends' houses that I realized what was acceptable behavior and what wasn't.

It made me feel like I wanted to isolate myself from my parents, so I spent a lot of time alone in my room at home since I was being raised essentially as an only child (half siblings lived with their dad). I began to focus my energy on learning how to play the viola in my school's orchestra and on studying. I ended up becoming one of the best violist's in my state and went on to play at Carnegie hall in college. It also just allowed me to develop really great work ethic because I wanted to be away from the negativity at home. I kinda had no choice but to just study?

But most importantly I was able to do all of this because I had to find a way to find healthy support systems outside of my family, whether it was within myself or mentors/role models at school. While my parents seem to have gotten past their alcoholism, I do not really have much of a relationship with them now, but I know that this experience shaped a lot of my childhood. I decided to channel my frustrations into positive activities and how to seek mentorship and guidance from people who would influence my life positively. Is it a bad idea to talk about a family member's addiction for an adversity? I think I can explain everything a bit more eloquently than this in an essay, but I just really need advice as to whether or not this was an acceptable topic.

Any advice/feedback is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it’s ok, there’s two hurdles you need to clear though. First, make sure the essay is about you and your struggles and not about your parents and their struggles. I know that sounds dumb, but you’re given so few words it’s actually harder than you may think. The second and potentially harder one is a lot of times schools are specifically looking for how you overcome a failure or shortcoming of your own making. Your parents alcoholism is obviously not your fault and while it was definitey a source of adversity in your life, it may be worth considering a time when your own actions or lack thereof caused the adversity, as it’s easier to point to specific growth and the ways you learned something that you’ll take with you to med school.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I think it’s ok, there’s two hurdles you need to clear though. First, make sure the essay is about you and your struggles and not about your parents and their struggles. I know that sounds dumb, but you’re given so few words it’s actually harder than you may think. The second and potentially harder one is a lot of times schools are specifically looking for how you overcome a failure or shortcoming of your own making. Your parents alcoholism is obviously not your fault and while it was definitey a source of adversity in your life, it may be worth considering a time when your own actions or lack thereof caused the adversity, as it’s easier to point to specific growth and the ways you learned something that you’ll take with you to med school.

Would you say that talking about a challenge I created for myself back in high school is acceptable if it taught me about a principle that I still use and plan to take with me throughout my career? Or should I focus on college only? Not sure if the college only rule applies only to ECs/activities or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you say that talking about a challenge I created for myself back in high school is acceptable if it taught me about a principle that I still use and plan to take with me throughout my career? Or should I focus on college only? Not sure if the college only rule applies only to ECs/activities or not.
Newer is always better, but in this case I think going back a little further is acceptable, especially if it makes for a stronger essay

I think it is a good topic for an adversity/resilience essay.

Reactions: 1 user