Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Bad idea to shadow research mentor?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by InNotOf, Aug 12, 2006.

1. InNotOf

InNotOf Member
    7+ Year Member

My PI is also a clinician in my current field of interest. I've shadowed him a couple times and would be interested in setting up a long-term shadowing experience with him. However, from the point of view of LORs and apps in general (MSTP), would it raise red flags if my research and shadowing letters are from the same person? (e.g., make me look antisocial or not into networking?) Is it advisable that I choose someone else to shadow? I'm interested in a fairly narrow, specific specialty (same specialty I do bench research in), so would even shadowing anyone in this field look weird, or at least limited?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. burntfries

burntfries Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i'm not sure if it would paint you as antisocial, as much as redundant. it would definitely strenghten a letter from that person, but if you intend to get two letters from him/her it might be weird.

4. _ian

_ian Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

There's absolutely no way you can get two letters from him... but you can get one damn good letter.

It certainly can't hurt you to shadow him, but if you're looking for another LOR, then you'd best look elsewhere.

5. InNotOf

InNotOf Member
    7+ Year Member

I would submit just one letter from him (you're right, two would be a little weird), but I was just wondering if it would be better to go ahead and shadow someone else (or even someone in a different medical specialty).

6. burntfries

burntfries Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i don't see why you shouldn't shadow your PI, esp if it's in your field of interest. it will only help you. however, shadowing someone else in a different medical specialty might broaden your horizons (or show adcoms that your options are open, or give you more to talk about as to why you have such a specific interest). so in other words, why not do both?

7. InNotOf

InNotOf Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, I'll probably just do both. I'm primarily interested in bone marrow transplantation, but I may also look into shadowing a nephrologist or neurologist. (or, of course, heme/onc)

8. DoctorPardi

DoctorPardi In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you were going to shadow your PI say once a week, just shadow him once every two weeks and mix some other specialties in on that other week. You might be surprised at how interesting fields are, and it might give you a new perspective.

9. Erina

Erina MS-IV
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    just remember, too, that you dont NEED a letter from someone you shadowed. i dont have one and a lot of other people dont either. but some schools do require a research letter if you have done research.

10. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

Sounds like we're in a similar boat. I've been working on a clinical study for a long time now. The PI is a clinician and I've shadowed him quite a bit (in fact he's on inpatient wards all next week and I'll be the 3rd wheel during rounds. Woo Hoo! I dig inpatient stuff.). Oh, and he's also my mentor on my undergraduate honors project. Talk about putting all my eggs in one basket.

Don't stress. Think quality versus quantity. The adcoms won't gasp and think how tacky it was that you found a true mentor and learned as much as you could from that person.