Bad idea to start on verbal for April already??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zuras

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm mostly worried I'll burn myself out of material far too soon. Unlike the sciences, the verbal is difficult to get good material. So should I wait until 4-5 months out to start on verbal? I've only taken EK1 verbal 101 and got a pretty decent score(10), and I've heard you can usually add a point or so to that for your "real" score. That puts me where I need to be(the state school I really want to get into has an average MCAT of 33.2)

Members don't see this ad.

Zuras said:
I'm mostly worried I'll burn myself out of material far too soon. Unlike the sciences, the verbal is difficult to get good material. So should I wait until 4-5 months out to start on verbal? I've only taken EK1 verbal 101 and got a pretty decent score(10), and I've heard you can usually add a point or so to that for your "real" score. That puts me where I need to be(the state school I really want to get into has an average MCAT of 33.2)

if you can get kaplan verbal tests, they help...i used those

Zuras said:

Def. don't use up any more good material until winter break. Your EK1 verbal score was fire! You shouldn't have any problems on the real deal. I was concerned about my verbal ahead of time like you. I told myself I was going to keep myself fresh by reading magazines, but never really followed through w/ that plan.

Never too early! Just make sure you have enough material to see you through April....

There's only so many practice materials out there, I would maybe practice with one passage a WEEK for the first 4 months or so, just so you know what passage/question stems look like. Spend most of your other time reading other materials and learning how to read critically. As others have suggested, The Economist is a great way to practice... unfortunately I just discovered it two weeks ago. The wording for the articles is just about right, plus you learn about current events which can only help you on your writing sample.