Bad Lab Grade C+ in Physics..!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hideatbush

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently sophomore and I am about to get a C+ in physics lab this semester. I am getting As for Physics lecture though. I am wondering how much earning C+ in physics lab (1 credit) would hurt me. I have 3.9 sGPA and cGPA so far, and I am doing well on other classes this semester. If I get C+ in physics lab, I will get 3.91 if I continue doing well on other courses, which wouldn't hurt my GPA at all. But I heard that adcoms actually look at individual grade, and that's what I'm really worried about.

I also have a choice to Withdraw or change the course to Pass/Fail. Should I just get C+ / Withdraw / or change it to Pass/Fail? I need some advice!!

Members don't see this ad.

C+ for one 1-credit class is nothing, don’t bother

Members don't see this ad :)
Prereqs need to be taken for a grade so P/F isn’t an option unless you want to get a P and then retake the class. Yes admins do look at individual grades but likely are not spending more than a few minutes pursuing your transcripts. My med school spends 20 minutes max discussing an applicant post interview which doesn’t really leave a lot of time for an in-depth review. Honestly, either option won’t likely have a significant impact on your application - pick whichever will help you sleep at night.

Prereqs need to be taken for a grade so P/F isn’t an option unless you want to get a P and then retake the class. Yes admins do look at individual grades but likely are not spending more than a few minutes pursuing your transcripts. My med school spends 20 minutes max discussing an applicant post interview which doesn’t really leave a lot of time for an in-depth review. Honestly, either option won’t likely have a significant impact on your application - pick whichever will help you sleep at night.

Actually, it seems like I would get a C not C+ for this lab course. Should I then just take C and retake it or take Pass and retake it?

A C+ in a 1-credit lab course!?! No one care, I mean no one will care. I barely care about it enough to comment on it

How bout a C for one credit course? Should I make it to Pass/fail and retake it?

take the C. don't waste your time retaking it either, there are a lot of other things you could be doing with your time. also, for what it's worth, I had an interview where they pointed out my lack of bad grades as an indicator that I might not know how to fail, and thus I might struggle as an MS1 more than other people who had a C or B- on their transcripts. so take that as something that'll show adcoms you're still human and NOT neurotic

I’m sure you’ll be fine. I also had a C+ in my physics lab and an A in the lecture. I was fortunate to receive a couple of acceptances and was never asked about that grade.

Hi guys,

I am currently sophomore and I am about to get a C+ in physics lab this semester. I am getting As for Physics lecture though. I am wondering how much earning C+ in physics lab (1 credit) would hurt me. I have 3.9 sGPA and cGPA so far, and I am doing well on other classes this semester. If I get C+ in physics lab, I will get 3.91 if I continue doing well on other courses, which wouldn't hurt my GPA at all. But I heard that adcoms actually look at individual grade, and that's what I'm really worried about.

I also have a choice to Withdraw or change the course to Pass/Fail. Should I just get C+ / Withdraw / or change it to Pass/Fail? I need some advice!!

One C+ will not hurt you in the long run. But you should be able to explain why you got that grade if (in the unlikely event) anyone asks.