Bad MCAT/Good GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rejuvenate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

MCAT: 28 (VR9 PS8 BS11)
GPA: 3.97
sGPA:3.96
I am a biology TA, Chemistry tutor, I've done research for more than 2 years, ALOT of community service.

Does a good GPA offset my MCAT?
Do I pick schools based on median MCAT scores or by percentile? (for example should I consider schools with a 28 percentile?)

Members don't see this ad.

If you're asking "is a 4.0 and a 28 equivalent to a 3.7 and a 31?" the answer is no. A 28 isn't horrible, and won't keep you out of med school, but it's below average, and getting an 8 on a section with a mean that's close to 10 isn't great. The issue is schools will just assume your grades are inflated, as they don't match your MCAT score.

Do I pick schools based on median MCAT scores or by percentile? (for example should I consider schools with a 28 percentile?)

Both, or you'll never find enough schools. You can probably consider any schools with a median MCAT of 31-32 as reaches.

For MD schools, no. However, there a few schools where you'll still be competitive at. If you're boning for an MD, then a retake (and scoring > 30) is in order.

You're fine for any DO program, including mine.

Hey guys

MCAT: 28 (VR9 PS8 BS11)
GPA: 3.97
sGPA:3.96
I am a biology TA, Chemistry tutor, I've done research for more than 2 years, ALOT of community service.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't offset weaknesses with crazy good strengths. No matter how strong the rest of your application is, a poor MCAT score will limit you from almost all MD schools. Same with a poor GPA. Or no clinical experience. That being said, I think you have a chance at some MD schools. Not a great shot though. Ideally, you should re-take the MCAT.

If you're asking "is a 4.0 and a 28 equivalent to a 3.7 and a 31?" the answer is no. A 28 isn't horrible, and won't keep you out of med school, but it's below average, and getting an 8 on a section with a mean that's close to 10 isn't great. The issue is schools will just assume your grades are inflated, as they don't match your MCAT score.

Both, or you'll never find enough schools. You can probably consider any schools with a median MCAT of 31-32 as reaches.
You don't think that they will see that I teach both chemistry and biology and understand that my grades were not inflated and that I actually know the material very well?

You may know the material better than the rest of the students at your school, but on the national stage, you are about average for medical school applicants and below average for medical school matriculants. Keep in mind that only 43% of applicants are fortunate enough to get an offer of admission somewhere. With your numbers, you have a ~62% chance (assuming you are white, stats are different if you are non-white). That is better than I would have wagered without looking at AMCAS Table 25.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't think that they will see that I teach both chemistry and biology and understand that my grades were not inflated and that I actually know the material very well?

"If you know the material so well, why'd you score lower than 87% of white applicants on the PS section?" is what med schools will ask. This issue is brought up again and again on SDN, where people argue that they "clearly" know the material for one reason or another despite not scoring well on the MCAT. Again, you're comparing yourself to students at your school, not nationally. Wanna prove you know it well? Retake. You can probably get in somewhere with a 28, but it'll be a weakness no matter what.

P.S. Everyone who has ever taken a science class knows student TAs don't always know the material very well. That's why there's such a high turnover rate.

Reactions: 1 users
I disagree with zzxxzz. Although I should mention, I am IS for Texas which I guess is some sort of advantage.

Depending on where you are applying, your stats seem fine. Your gpa DOES offset your mcat (and vice versa) to some degree or it would be useless to develop charts correlating the two. I would not retake with a 28/4.0. Just my opinion. I'm open to both DO and MD though so that is also a factor to consider obviously.