Bad MCAT/Good GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

packer$87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently a super senior, my 9th semester in college because I am double majoring in Human Biology and Psychology with a Chemistry minor. Assuming that I get a 4.0 my last semester, I will end up with a 3.90 GPA and around a 3.8 science GPA, however, I just took the new MCAT on September 12, 2015 and got a 491! :nailbiting: I am currently a medical assistant for an orthopedic practice and previously I was a medical scribe in a level 2 tramua ED for 10 months. I have around 100 hours of volunteer and about 40 hours of shadowing, however, I have well over 1000 + clinical hours and patient experience. I also did a year of psychology research as well as a cadaver dissection and a biochemistry and genetics lab that was considered research as well. I know that I need to retake the MCAT, but the doctor I work for who is an orthopedic surgeon, MD, said if I just get a mediocre MCAT, such as increasing to a 505 or 506 I should be fine to at least get into UW madison or MCW in Milwaukee, which are my goals.

I am asking if anyone recommends a prep class or to continue trying to study on my own. I plan on starting to study again after the semester is over in December of 2015, but I work almost 50 hours a week so I have a hard schedule to work around. Is it worth taking a prep class like Next Step or Kaplan and paying an enormous amount of money, or should I just buy some more FL's and use the Khan Academy videos for tutoring and help. I used the Barron's New MCAT book which was somewhat comprehensive, but not that great. I have always sucked at standardized tests and would just like some feedback from people who have been in a similar situation I am in. Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Seeing as you self studied and did poorly I would recommend a prep class. I did kaplan and found it average (their resources were great, other than that it was pretty mediocre). My score was a 505 with kaplan. Make sure you do well on the MCAT this time though. 2 poor marks could hurt you a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
Seeing as you self studied and did poorly I would recommend a prep class. I did kaplan and found it average (their resources were great, other than that it was pretty mediocre). My score was a 505 with kaplan. Make sure you do well on the MCAT this time though. 2 poor marks could hurt you a lot.

Thanks for your input. I was thinking I should just figure out a way to spend the money. Next Step has one-on-one tutoring class for 40 hours total and they give you 6 full lengths, however, it's $4000!!! :bag: I think it might be my only shot since I need to make sure I do well. Do you think that with my other experience I will have a good chance if I just increase it to 505?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input. I was thinking I should just figure out a way to spend the money. Next Step has one-on-one tutoring class for 40 hours total and they give you 6 full lengths, however, it's $4000!!! :bag: I think it might be my only shot since I need to make sure I do well. Do you think that with my other experience I will have a good chance if I just increase it to 505?
No class is going to help you. Only you can help yourself. Classes are a waste of money imo.

The doctor I work for who is an orthopedic surgeon, MD, said if I just get a mediocre MCAT, such as increasing to a 505 or 506 I should be fine to at least get into UW madison or MCW in Milwaukee, which are my goals.

He would be wrong because a 505/506 is roughly a 27/28, which is below average for MD schools. UW would be a bit higher actually (around >515) and MCW (around >510). You need to essentially aim for a 510+ to be competitive for MD schools.

If you did poorly through self study, a prep course is probably in order, of which Kaplan or TPR is your best bet.

You scored around19-20 on the old test and you need to get to around a 30-31. So you need to increase your score by about 12 points. That's really hard to do. Have you figured out why you did so poorly? Was it test anxiety? You need to fix any fixable issues first. If you have the $4k and they can guarantee a score or will pay for a retake I'd spend the money.

He would be wrong because a 505/506 is roughly a 27/28, which is below average for MD schools. UW would be a bit higher actually (around >515) and MCW (around >510). You need to essentially aim for a 510+ to be competitive for MD schools.

If you did poorly through self study, a prep course is probably in order, of which Kaplan or TPR is your best bet.

I appreciate the input, I just like a little more structure when it comes to studying but I did look at UW Madison's website and they said they would consider individuals who at least have a 3.5 GPA and a 61% percentile ranking on the new MCAT, which is a 503. Obviously, this does not guarantee acceptance but if I can at least get above that I think I would be in good shape with my 1000's of hours of clinical experience. I mean I know a guy who got into University of Cinncinnati who only got a 28 on his MCAT and the only other thing he had was being a medical scribe in an Emergency Department.

You scored around19-20 on the old test and you need to get to around a 30-31. So you need to increase your score by about 12 points. That's really hard to do. Have you figured out why you did so poorly? Was it test anxiety? You need to fix any fixable issues first. If you have the $4k and they can guarantee a score or will pay for a retake I'd spend the money.

I think it was definitely test anxiety and I think my testing and studying strategies were not good at all. The rest of my application would be wonderful in terms of GPA, experience, letters of recommendation etc, but my MCAT score needs to go up. I was looking at reviews for the test prepping company and people posted on their blog with some saying they increased from as a low as a 492 up to a 508 which should be good enough to get into somewhere, just not anywhere special.

So it might be worth the money. And actually an acceptance at any US med school(MD or DO) is pretty special. Just ask the thousands rejected each year.

Hello everyone,

I am currently a super senior, my 9th semester in college because I am double majoring in Human Biology and Psychology with a Chemistry minor. Assuming that I get a 4.0 my last semester, I will end up with a 3.90 GPA and around a 3.8 science GPA, however, I just took the new MCAT on September 12, 2015 and got a 491! :nailbiting: I am currently a medical assistant for an orthopedic practice and previously I was a medical scribe in a level 2 tramua ED for 10 months. I have around 100 hours of volunteer and about 40 hours of shadowing, however, I have well over 1000 + clinical hours and patient experience. I also did a year of psychology research as well as a cadaver dissection and a biochemistry and genetics lab that was considered research as well. I know that I need to retake the MCAT, but the doctor I work for who is an orthopedic surgeon, MD, said if I just get a mediocre MCAT, such as increasing to a 505 or 506 I should be fine to at least get into UW madison or MCW in Milwaukee, which are my goals.

I am asking if anyone recommends a prep class or to continue trying to study on my own. I plan on starting to study again after the semester is over in December of 2015, but I work almost 50 hours a week so I have a hard schedule to work around. Is it worth taking a prep class like Next Step or Kaplan and paying an enormous amount of money, or should I just buy some more FL's and use the Khan Academy videos for tutoring and help. I used the Barron's New MCAT book which was somewhat comprehensive, but not that great. I have always sucked at standardized tests and would just like some feedback from people who have been in a similar situation I am in. Thank you! :)

I highly recommend The Princeton Review, the cost is steep, a little over 2,000$. I had never studied for the MCAT before (I only had subject exposure from my medical school prereqs), and on my first practice MCAT scored a 26. After taking the prep course I ended up scoring a 34 on the real exam, which is the score I sat on, and ended up getting into medschool with.

Good luck!
You-Can-Do-It-Meme-Puppy-2.jpg

I'm pretty sure the average MCAT for UW last year was a 32, which is around a 512-513 on the new exam. Maybe I'm wrong, but 515 seems a little steep. But yea I agree with everything else you said here.

I highly recommend The Princeton Review, the cost is steep, a little over 2,000$. I had never studied for the MCAT before (I only had subject exposure from my medical school prereqs), and on my first practice MCAT scored a 26. After taking the prep course I ended up scoring a 34 on the real exam, which is the score I sat on, and ended up getting into medschool with.

Good luck!
View attachment 197234

Hahaha. That's shameless marketing--that there advertisement pic! You can sell just about anything with babies and puppies. :)

Lol! I swear I don't work for TPR; I am just super excited about the results I got with them and would love it if I could share that with others.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure the average MCAT for UW last year was a 32, which is around a 512-513 on the new exam. Maybe I'm wrong, but 515 seems a little steep. But yea I agree with everything else you said here.

You're not wrong about the average MCAT last year at UW being a 32, however, it says right on their website that if you have a 3.0 and are in the 61% for your MCAT (i.e. 503) then you will be guaranteed to receive a secondary application. I understand this does not guarantee admission to the school, but it gives those with slightly lower scores a fighting chance. Obviously, my goal is to re-test and score higher than a 503, but it is nice to know that my goal is not exactly out of reach.

You're not wrong about the average MCAT last year at UW being a 32, however, it says right on their website that if you have a 3.0 and are in the 61% for your MCAT (i.e. 503) then you will be guaranteed to receive a secondary application. I understand this does not guarantee admission to the school, but it gives those with slightly lower scores a fighting chance. Obviously, my goal is to re-test and score higher than a 503, but it is nice to know that my goal is not exactly out of reach.

Getting a secondary means absolutely nothing at most schools, particularly when the "screening" requirements are so low. I wouldn't even call this a screen. It's the interview invite that matters - only then do you have a fighting chance at an acceptance.

Realistically with a 491 on your record already you really should be aiming for 510+ at all costs for MD admission purposes. 500+ will generate interest at some DO's. But as much as anything, you need to figure out and address any issues you have with standardized testing now. Because your score as of now puts you at a significantly higher risk for failing boards and struggling in med school historically even if you end up accepted somewhere later on. Even a 500+ score puts you at greater risks for having problems. Do all you can to address all these problems now because the exams certainly don't get any easier as you go along; even if in fact you might be able to squeak into a DO school with a a 497 or 498 that can't be the goal for you.

For the MCAT I'm a big believer in using the right materials. IMHO the classes you'll see in Kaplan and TPR aren't the right materials or test at all like the MCAT. Berkeley Review, new exam krackers material, old and new AAMC practice test and material, Next Step, released Khan Academy material and the TPRH verbal and science workbooks, is what I would recommend.

Lol! I swear I don't work for TPR; I am just super excited about the results I got with them and would love it if I could share that with others.

I thought about buying a prep course but this is definitely my last resort since I am in a tight spot with money, I am trying to balance the risks and benefits of spending that type of money. If it can guarantee me a score, granted that I put the time and effort in then I will do it. Also, I have to take into consideration that I almost work 50 hours a week as a medical assistant to support myself and for my application.

Realistically with a 491 on your record already you really should be aiming for 510+ at all costs for MD admission purposes. 500+ will generate interest at some DO's. But as much as anything, you need to figure out and address any issues you have with standardized testing now. Because your score as of now puts you at a significantly higher risk for failing boards and struggling in med school historically even if you end up accepted somewhere later on. Even a 500+ score puts you at greater risks for having problems. Do all you can to address all these problems now because the exams certainly don't get any easier as you go along; even if in fact you might be able to squeak into a DO school with a a 497 or 498 that can't be the goal for you.

For the MCAT I'm a big believer in using the right materials. IMHO the classes you'll see in Kaplan and TPR aren't the right materials or test at all like the MCAT. Berkeley Review, new exam krackers material, old and new AAMC practice test and material, Next Step, released Khan Academy material and the TPRH verbal and science workbooks, is what I would recommend.

Thank you for the input. Since I am in a tight spot for money I am working on developing my own schedule for myself since I work a lot every week and time is of the essence for me. At the moment, I am just trying to graduate college with my 3.9 GPA so I at least have that going for me. I know I screwed up badly on the test and it was because I certainly did not put in the time. It is not because I am dumb, because I am not, I just suck at standardized tests and always have.

Another weird thing that happened is when I took the first FL by AAMC I got a 504, which I took right before the test. I think that I just had a lot of test anxiety and did not review enough content. I know with my score it will be hard to bring it up to the 510 level, but it is certainly not impossible. I have to do well this time around, I plan on taking it again in May 2016 so I can apply early in June 2016, however, I will not be able to start studying until late December since I have to finish my last semester of college.

If you really have test taking anxiety get some help for that too. The MCAT is the first in a very long series of standardized tests you will be taking for your entire medical career. It's important to deal with the anxiety issues now. Good luck!

If you really did get a 504 on the practice test and only got a 491 on the real deal something went very wrong on test day. You're talking about dropping from basically a 28 to a 20; even if you want to say a practice test overshoots your score by 2 points or so, that type of drop doesn't happen very often. Test anxiety could certainly be one factor that caused such a drop off.

I do not even know how to go about resolving my test anxiety though, does anyone have any ideas that they have used assuming that you have dealt with test anxiety?

I do not even know how to go about resolving my test anxiety though, does anyone have any ideas that they have used assuming that you have dealt with test anxiety?

Also, do you guys think that 4 months of studying will be enough to tackle this test and raise my score? I graduate college in late December and would like to start studying in January. The unfortunate thing is I work almost 50 hours a week as a medical assistant and would only be able to study about 3 hours a day after work, but have all day on the weekends to pick up any slack during the week? Let me know your input.

3 hours a day is definitely on the low side. IMO its better to study in the 5-6-7 hour range. I feel like you will forget the stuff you learned in Month 1 and have to relearn it. This is just my take, everyone is different.

Also, do you guys think that 4 months of studying will be enough to tackle this test and raise my score? I graduate college in late December and would like to start studying in January. The unfortunate thing is I work almost 50 hours a week as a medical assistant and would only be able to study about 3 hours a day after work, but have all day on the weekends to pick up any slack during the week? Let me know your input.
Hard to say, doesn't really sound like you have much of a choice but to study for the 3 hours after work and weekends. Ideally you'd probably want to have more than 3 hours a day, especially since you're coming off a 491. But, you gotta work with the cards you're dealt. Make the absolute most of the time you do have.

Hard to say, doesn't really sound like you have much of a choice but to study for the 3 hours after work and weekends. Ideally you'd probably want to have more than 3 hours a day, especially since you're coming off a 491. But, you gotta work with the cards you're dealt. Make the absolute most of the time you do have.

Well I was wondering what would be better, if I take the MCAT in May 2016 and be able to apply in June 2016 when primary applications open or take it in June and apply I'm July giving myself an extra month to study for a total of 5 months?

3 hours a day for 4 months is fine. Just don't spend vert much of the three hours looking over material. Spend that time doing as many problems as you can, and only reviewing material when needed to help solve a difficult problem. Don't stick to one subject for very long. Maybe a different subject every day, or two subjects a day. Try to get through all possible subjects in a month, and then do it 3 more times, preferably with different problems.

3 hours a day for 4 months is fine. Just don't spend vert much of the three hours looking over material. Spend that time doing as many problems as you can, and only reviewing material when needed to help solve a difficult problem. Don't stick to one subject for very long. Maybe a different subject every day, or two subjects a day. Try to get through all possible subjects in a month, and then do it 3 more times, preferably with different problems.

Thanks for the input, I plan on using khan academy videos, TPR, and TPR science workbook and TPR critical analysis workbook along with Gold standard, AAMC, and Next step practice tests. I might grab examkrackers or berkely review just for extra problems, not for content review. Probably just do 6 hours a day on the weekends along with reading some journal articles on Sunday to help increase data and statistical analysis skills.

Last edited: