Bad MCAT, I already applied, Please Help Me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocketbooster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking around here for a while without registering, but now I am in a huge dilemma and need your help. I took my first MCAT a few months ago and received a 26R (8 PS, 10 VR, 8 BS). I knew that was not going to cut it, so I retook it in July. As I was waiting for my score, I applied to schools, sent in most of my secondaries, and so forth. On my first MCAT, I was hitting mid-to-high 20s in practice, so the 26 was expected. On my second MCAT, I was scoring in the low 30s on every practice and expected at least 30 on the retake. Here is my dilemma...

I received my score back today and scored a 24R (8, 7, 9). That is just unbelievable. I cannot believe this...so basically all my of applications are completely ruined now.

I applied to 20 MD schools, all with about 3.6 and 30 MCAT averages. I am a bio major and my GPA is a 3.63 overall and 3.58 science. My GPA is at their averages and was expecting my MCAT to be as well. Now, I have no chance anywhere. I repeat...I'm simply ruined this year. I'm already thinking about what I have to do since I'll have to reapply next year. It's terrible.

I have decent ECs...study abroad, a few hundred hours of physician shadowing, 2 years of research, a summer of work in a clinic, etc.

I graduated a year early, so this year I am volunteering full-time in a free clinic, conducting another year of research but in a different area, and taking one language class to continue my learning from study abroad. I suppose that'll help me for next year, but I'm just so bummed right now.

My state school has an average MCAT score of 9.5 (9.8 BS, 9.1 PS, 9.7 VR). I have no idea if they take the highest score, composite of highest subscores, or what. I think they look 2 most recent scores, but I don't know...

I honestly have no idea what to do at this point. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I don't think you are ruined. I think you still have a decent chance...especially with your GPA and EC's. They both seem pretty damn good to me. My suggestion is this: fill out as many secondaries as you can afford, maybe concentrating on those that you have the best chance at. Wow them with your writing and interpersonal skills, and I think you be golden. And if not, re-apply next year! But, I definitely think it's worth a shot since your already up in the mix. Also, my friend is matriculating to OHSU this month, and she had a 26 (don't remember the writing sample). Bottom line, you are NOT screwed. GO for it!

Aww, that stinks. I am sorry to hear about your troubles. If I were you I would pull out from any school besides your state school and other schools that are known to take the highest grade from each section: GW I think. If that does not work out take the test again and reapply.

I also wanted to add that having to reapply is not terrible, you are NOT ruined! Just continue to take classes, learn a second language, volunteer, travel, have fun! You are young, so do not worry about having to wait another year to apply because in the long run it will not matter one bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Rocketbooster,

IMHO, just let the scores sink in for a couple of days. Don’t rush to hasty conclusions. Don’t think about your application cycle for next two days. Focus on gathering info. regarding MCAT score policies from the schools you are interested in, work the phones as much as you can.

When you have all the info, just sit down and think OBJECTIVELY about your chances this year. If you feel confident that you have decent chance this cycle then give it you’re all. Otherwise keep working hard and prepare for even a better application next year. Of course it’s hard and the thought of next application cycle is a little intimidating but believe me it would fade away in few days. You would for sure have a great chance to get in with a great application. 1 year is nothing when you look at life from a bigger picture point of view. Don’t loose heart so quickly and best of luck with any decision you end up making.:luck:

Honestly, I don't know if you've submitted secondaries yet but it might be reasonable to pull out of the other schools except for the state school and study for a retake. That score is low for an MD school, and you obviously applied thinking you'd have a score BETTER than your first, not worse. No one wants to spend another year applying, but I don't think anyone really wants to spend a year wasting their money and time either. It's a bitter pill to swallow but I think you need really consider taking the year to build a stronger application.

To put it this way, you retook because you weren't happy with your original score and you thought you could do better. You applied with the assumption that you had a score as good or better. I think it would be foolish to continue with the application having a score that's worse. Think about it, but there's no use throwing good money after bad.

Go along with the application and then retake the MCAT in January. Even though most schools say they do not consider January MCAT scores, the scores are STILL reported to AMCAS. Schools still get the score. I have a friend who got a few interviews after retaking the MCAT in january and improving significantly. If schools haven't decided on your fate prior to recieving the January MCAT score, be sure to call them and let them know that you improved (assuming that you do). Worst case, you have your improved MCAT score ready for next year's application cycle.

Honestly, I don't know if you've submitted secondaries yet but it might be reasonable to pull out of the other schools except for the state school and study for a retake. That score is low for an MD school, and you obviously applied thinking you'd have a score BETTER than your first, not worse. No one wants to spend another year applying, but I don't think anyone really wants to spend a year wasting their money and time either. It's a bitter pill to swallow but I think you need really consider taking the year to build a stronger application.

To put it this way, you retook because you weren't happy with your original score and you thought you could do better. You applied with the assumption that you had a score as good or better. I think it would be foolish to continue with the application having a score that's worse. Think about it, but there's no use throwing good money after bad.

that's the problem. i already submitted most of my secondaries. the money is already sent and is nonrefundable. there are only a few left i haven't received yet...Jefferson just came into today but i'll probably withdraw. i'm not sure....this sucks...really, really bad. :(

btw, does anyone have the link to the thread of the huge list of schools with their MCAT policies? I saw it a while back but can't find it anymore under the search. The "what are my chances" forum makes the search really convoluted. Thanks.

hey,

i did the same thing you did. i took my mcat in may and got a 24R, which is absolutely awful. So I retook it in July, and now I am waiting for my scores to come back around Aug.19th. I already sent in about 15 secondaries, but I'm scared that I will be in the same boat as you. If my score comes back poor, then I know my app is ruined. We took a chance, and we're gonna have to accept the consequences, good or bad. Apply to whatever lower tier schools you have left, but you gotta understand, there are too many qualified applicants out there and schools arent gonna let someone with a 27 subpar score in (unless they're from disadvantaged status). There might be some schools who'll interview you, but who knows about whether or not you'll get in. I do wish you the best of luck, and I hope you get into at least one school because honestly, that's all it takes. relax for a couple of days. it took me a week for my 24 score to sink in. The whole week I just pittered around my house singing "hey you failed the MCATs, you failed them bad. hey you failed the mcats, you're a big ass." it didn't really rhyme, but it was soothing.

that's the problem. i already submitted most of my secondaries. the money is already sent and is nonrefundable. there are only a few left i haven't received yet...Jefferson just came into today but i'll probably withdraw. i'm not sure....this sucks...really, really bad. :(

btw, does anyone have the link to the thread of the huge list of schools with their MCAT policies? I saw it a while back but can't find it anymore under the search. The "what are my chances" forum makes the search really convoluted. Thanks.

If my memory serves me right, i believe that thread was more about MCAT retake policies. In your case, IMO, it would be a really bad idea to retake MCAT so soon. You definitely need more time to show improvement on all three sections.

Hey... I am in the same boat as you are.. i made a 27 and then retook in july and made a 24... So i don't know what to do either.. I wonder if schools look at the better score or the latest score? does anyone know?

If you've already submitted secondaries DEFINITELY do not withdraw. Next year you're already going to be a reapplicant at all these schools (even if you didn't submit a secondary), so you might as well just make the best of this situation and see if you can get an interview out of it. If you can study for the MCAT and interview at the same time, taking the Jan test is a good idea.

well if you've already submitted the secondaries there's nothing you can do but wait, hope, and prepare for the worst. You're going to have one more shot at the MCAT, so hopefully this will all light some serious fire under your butt. Starting NOW, continue to do things to strengthen your application, do well in school, and work up a plan to take the MCAT again and to knock it out of the water. The only thing you're losing is time, which in the end might not be such a bad thing. You'll be able to pick up a job after you graduate to pay for that year of applications so for now, just look forward and do the best you can. Hopefully you get an acceptance but if not then at least you have prepared yourself to get one next year. Good luck.

well if you've already submitted the secondaries there's nothing you can do but wait, hope, and prepare for the worst. You're going to have one more shot at the MCAT, so hopefully this will all light some serious fire under your butt. Starting NOW, continue to do things to strengthen your application, do well in school, and work up a plan to take the MCAT again and to knock it out of the water. The only thing you're losing is time, which in the end might not be such a bad thing. You'll be able to pick up a job after you graduate to pay for that year of applications so for now, just look forward and do the best you can. Hopefully you get an acceptance but if not then at least you have prepared yourself to get one next year. Good luck.

Yeah, I still have a few secondaries coming in (Drexel, Tulane, and a few others that screen). I'm already a reapplicant like someone else said...so I might as well send in those secondaries, too?

I am fortunate that money is not an issue. I am for sure sending in Tulane when it comes in b/c it has lower #s hehe. EVU and Loyola will probably screen me out...for some reason VCU didn't screen me out. I have no idea. That was before my 2nd mcat came back. Now they're probably like "damnit, why did we send that failure a secondary!?"

For those who are in a similar boat, sucks for all of us lol. We took a terrible risk. At least we still applied somewhat early. We'll at least get rejections earlier than everyone else. :)

Looks like I'll be taking it again in January. I don't actually have to sign up for it until December, so we'll see if I have any luck with these schools. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the MCAT in May got a 29P with a 12 PS 7 VR 10 BS....hoping to improve and re-took it in July, but I felt I did worse so I ended up voiding. I was working a full-time job starting in June, so I really couldn't put in the time needed to up the verbal and bio. I suggest waiting several months at least 3 or 4 until you have seen significant improvement and then re-taking.

Well if money really isn't an issue then send them in. Aim for the January MCAT and seriously study as hard as you possibly can for it. I don't think taking the MCAT more than thrice looks very good. Best of luck.

I just received Albany's secondary today. the fee is $110. Like i said, money isn't an issue, but I mean, is there even a realistic chance I should apply here? I do have slightly above their average cumulative and science gpas, but their average MCAT is 10, 10, 11. I'm going to call tomorrow to see how they look at multiple MCATs.

Your thoughts?

update: I found out my state school takes the highest subscores from each section. sooo, I actually have a 27R (8, 10, 9) in their eyes. :D

that's still 2 pts below their average mcat and my GPA is like .05 below their average, but oh well...hopefully I hear from them soon!

yeah man, it's not over yet. You're at least in solid positions for everything but MCAT. MCAT is something you can change drastically in a relatively short period of time, so...you are still in the game, believe me.

Sorry to hear about the bad news, but it can always be worse. Like you have said, you have other things to fall back on in your application. The MCAT is important but it is NOT the end all of your application. It is a snapshot of how you did in 5 hours and I have been told time and time again that schools are looking more at the applicant as a whole. Have faith and be confident and you may be surprised. What's the worse that can happen? You get rejected and have to retake? If you abandon everything you are doing that anyway. Best of luck! Keep your head up!

Last edited:
yeah man, it's not over yet. You're at least in solid positions for everything but MCAT. MCAT is something you can change drastically in a relatively short period of time, so...you are still in the game, believe me.

But the problem, from what I heard, is that most schools only use GPA and MCAT as a cutoff for interview. Only after that do they start evaluating other factors like EC. This is obviously to cut down the amount of work on adcom's part.

I feel sorry for you, OP. You can only hope for a miracle at this point, I guess.

But the problem, from what I heard, is that most schools only use GPA and MCAT as a cutoff for interview. Only after that do they start evaluating other factors like EC. This is obviously to cut down the amount of work on adcom's part.

I feel sorry for you, OP. You can only hope for a miracle at this point, I guess.

oh for sure. 16/18 of my apps are guaranteed trashed. I might have a chance at my state school and GW since their average MCATs are both 29s and they take the highest subscores (which means I'd have a 27R). I just found out GW put me on hold, though. so I can probably narrow it down to 1 school I MAY not be trashed at for this year. :thumbdown:

I'm already considering about that retake. I don't know if I want to do January or April. I can't take it more than 3 times, so if I finish my MCAT with a bad feeling I have to cancel it and then take the next available one. If I do that in January, then I have to wait 3 more months. If I take it April, I can get a retry in a week or two so I should still be fresh on the material...

Also...for next year, I am for sure applying ED to my state school. My advisor told me not to apply early there b/c it was too risky. he isn't from my state, though. everyone in my state says it was a huge mistake not to apply early. they all say I would already be in. *siighhh*

Don't freak out too much- I have a 27P 3.66GPA and very strong EC's- I got an interview at a Texas school as an OOS applicant (strong ties though)... and my MCAT just got released on Sept 9th so it hasn't been that long for being evaluated yet

I am in a very similar boat with a 29Q (11V 9BS 9PS), which is considered low in the SDN world. I am also thinking of retaking in January.

One of the best pieces of advice I've seen on this forum with regard to retakes... DO NOT DO IT unless you are scoring at least 4-5 points higher on AAMC practice tests under real conditions. You have the very real chance of doing worse (as many on this board have seen firsthand).

I am going to retake in January--but only if I average 34-35 on 3 practice exams--a tall order.

I just met for about 45 minutes 1on1 with an adcom member of my state school. I'm not going to divulge how I got this unofficial interview, but he basically guaranteed me I will get an official interview. I just don't know if it will be sooner or later. :) Interviewing is a huge deal, so now I am just trying to read as much on the interviewing process as possible. You need to win the heart of your interviewer because he/she is the one who sells you to the rest of the committee.

keep believing in yourself everyone! if you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Last edited:
Aww don't worry too much! I was in the exact same boat last year (26 and something lower than q but can't remember). I didn't study very much (my dad was diagnosed with cancer, it was a very bad time). I applied also, and got waitlisted at one school (I also applied VERY late, complete right at the deadlines). I am re-applying this year (re-took MCAT and did much better), and am that much more sure that this is what I want to do with my life. Additionally if it helps, one of my good friends (who is a genius, graduated undergrad w/ a 4.0 and biochem major) only got a 23... I think twice. So she is currently at a very good d.o. school and ABSOLUTELY loves it! I also have another friend who is studying in the Islands. There are things to consider with both of these; you'll always have to explain to some idiots what a d.o. is, and/or if you go to a school in the carribbean there may be some snobbery to contend with... but if this is what you really want to do, you should go for it regardless. You will become a physician if this is what you really want! Don't lose hope... and if you want, I can give you the name of that school in the islands (I think they do one or two years in england, exchange program). Good Luck!

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking around here for a while without registering, but now I am in a huge dilemma and need your help. I took my first MCAT a few months ago and received a 26R (8 PS, 10 VR, 8 BS). I knew that was not going to cut it, so I retook it in July. As I was waiting for my score, I applied to schools, sent in most of my secondaries, and so forth. On my first MCAT, I was hitting mid-to-high 20s in practice, so the 26 was expected. On my second MCAT, I was scoring in the low 30s on every practice and expected at least 30 on the retake. Here is my dilemma...

I received my score back today and scored a 24R (8, 7, 9). That is just unbelievable. I cannot believe this...so basically all my of applications are completely ruined now.

I applied to 20 MD schools, all with about 3.6 and 30 MCAT averages. I am a bio major and my GPA is a 3.63 overall and 3.58 science. My GPA is at their averages and was expecting my MCAT to be as well. Now, I have no chance anywhere. I repeat...I'm simply ruined this year. I'm already thinking about what I have to do since I'll have to reapply next year. It's terrible.

I have decent ECs...study abroad, a few hundred hours of physician shadowing, 2 years of research, a summer of work in a clinic, etc.

I graduated a year early, so this year I am volunteering full-time in a free clinic, conducting another year of research but in a different area, and taking one language class to continue my learning from study abroad. I suppose that'll help me for next year, but I'm just so bummed right now.

My state school has an average MCAT score of 9.5 (9.8 BS, 9.1 PS, 9.7 VR). I have no idea if they take the highest score, composite of highest subscores, or what. I think they look 2 most recent scores, but I don't know...

I honestly have no idea what to do at this point. :(

Here's where I am going to disagree with some of the previous posters. I think you are in something of a "deep hole" with that second MCAT score. Undergraduate or graduate GPA does not offset two poor MCAT scores. Your first MCAT score was very poor and your second one was downright dismal. Your undergraduate GPA is just average and on the low side of the average at that.

What does this mean for you at this point? First, you need to make plans for what you will do if you don't get into medical school. High on your list should be application to a SMP (Special Master's Program) where you can prove that you can do medical-school level work by doing extremely well in that coursework. While these programs are expensive, they are a viable option for you to enhance your application for medical school.

I would caution you about attempting a third try on the MCAT. If you elect to do this, you had better score in the high 30s or you will have done severe damage to your chances in any event. Scoring low 30s on practice exams is not an assurance that you are going to ace the real exam. Figuring out why you have scored so low on MCAT is what you need to do. You must correct anything and everything that is a problem before you take that exam a third time (you will still have two poor scores sitting there which are a major liability).

You have already applied to a huge number of schools. You may get some interviews so go on them and see what happens. I certainly would not withdraw application at this point because you may get in somewhere especially if you applied to broadly and to osteopathic medical schools (they are not so tied to MCAT/GPA).

Certainly, you are not in a good situation but the thing is what it is. You should be prepared to do some serious work on a viable "Plan B" but you deal with what comes next this year. There is plenty of variation in the medical school admissions process that may (and this is a weak "may") work in your favor. In any event, get busy with what you need to do whether that be a retake on the MCAT, reapplication or application to an SMP.

Here's where I am going to disagree with some of the previous posters. I think you are in something of a "deep hole" with that second MCAT score. Undergraduate or graduate GPA does not offset two poor MCAT scores. Your first MCAT score was very poor and your second one was downright dismal. Your undergraduate GPA is just average and on the low side of the average at that.

What does this mean for you at this point? First, you need to make plans for what you will do if you don't get into medical school. High on your list should be application to a SMP (Special Master's Program) where you can prove that you can do medical-school level work by doing extremely well in that coursework. While these programs are expensive, they are a viable option for you to enhance your application for medical school.

I would caution you about attempting a third try on the MCAT. If you elect to do this, you had better score in the high 30s or you will have done severe damage to your chances in any event. Scoring low 30s on practice exams is not an assurance that you are going to ace the real exam. Figuring out why you have scored so low on MCAT is what you need to do. You must correct anything and everything that is a problem before you take that exam a third time (you will still have two poor scores sitting there which are a major liability).

You have already applied to a huge number of schools. You may get some interviews so go on them and see what happens. I certainly would not withdraw application at this point because you may get in somewhere especially if you applied to broadly and to osteopathic medical schools (they are not so tied to MCAT/GPA).

Certainly, you are not in a good situation but the thing is what it is. You should be prepared to do some serious work on a viable "Plan B" but you deal with what comes next this year. There is plenty of variation in the medical school admissions process that may (and this is a weak "may") work in your favor. In any event, get busy with what you need to do whether that be a retake on the MCAT, reapplication or application to an SMP.

SMP? I don't know if I need to do that. that's generally for correcting poor GPAs, isn't it? retake MCAT? for sure! I'm just waiting a bit longer (like till end of November) to see how these schools are looking at me before I sign up for a retake. I'm thinking early April. as for now, I'm substantially boosting my ECs. I had decent ECs before, but after a year of what I am currently doing, they are going to be really good. :thumbup: I am actually doing this just simply to gain more experience in the field, but if I fail not to get in anywhere this year, then it will only substantially strengthen my application next year. the thing is I still have to fix that MCAT problem. nothing will solve that except a much better retake, you're right. thanks for the heads up!

don't worry, I'm not being unrealistic this year. in the back of my head, I almost consider as though I only applied to 1 school since the other 17/18 were trashed by the 2nd MCAT. I know the only slight chance now is at my state school. next year if I reapply I'm doing ED to my state school, as well.

Last edited:
Yay! I just got an interview at my state school for next month! It's the 2nd batch of interviews of the 6 they do all year. Sooo, getting an earlier invite can only be a good thing. :love:

Stay persistent everyone! I sent an update later last month.

Rocketbooster, you are my statistical soulmate. The only difference is that I got a 23P on my first MCAT and a 26P on the second go around (with a 3.51 sGPA and 3.74 cGPA). I was heavily advised to apply early decision to my state school. I did. I interviewed and was rolled into regular decision.

I took an objective look at my application and came to one conclusion: MCAT. There is no other glaring hole in my application and because I came from a rural area, my state school knows I would be a good candidate to return to my rural roots and provide primary care.

I am complete now at 8 other schools and am awaiting news. If I hear nothing, so what? I know I have to retake in April and most likely apply again early to my state school with nearly the same identical application. Just make sure you invest heavily into your MCAT preparation. I have already started for the April administration.

Best of luck at your interview! Know that you are not alone even though it sometimes feels that way on these boards.

Oh, also post-interview send in a letter of intent to your state school. It is a wise decision that you keep the adcom updated on your progress and your intention to re-apply if necessary. They may just take you now if they know your sub-par MCAT is your only weakness. Let's face it, they have streams of data backing up MCAT performance to Step 1. A 26 or 27 is a gray zone and your state school is much more willing to take a risk with you than an OOS applicant as long as you can convince them you want it badly enough.

Oh, also post-interview send in a letter of intent to your state school. It is a wise decision that you keep the adcom updated on your progress and your intention to re-apply if necessary. They may just take you now if they know your sub-par MCAT is your only weakness. Let's face it, they have streams of data backing up MCAT performance to Step 1. A 26 or 27 is a gray zone and your state school is much more willing to take a risk with you than an OOS applicant as long as you can convince them you want it badly enough.

yea, my state school takes the highest composite of subscores for the MCAT, so I have a 27R (which is still TERRIBLE I know hahaha). however, their average MCAT is ~29 (28.6). compared to their individual section averages, my verbal and writing are slightly higher and my BS and PS are each less than 1 pt. lower. my GPA is slightly under theirs (like .05 off).

i have also thought about retaking the MCAT in April. however, i'm not going to begin studying for it till I hear something back post-interview. if I'm accepted, awesome! if I'm thrown on the waitlist, then I'll start studying for the retake. I should know by end of December if I'm waitlisted or accepted. I don't think they really reject right after your interview...

Last edited: