Bad MCAT x3...... Still had great success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RueTay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to share my experience for those who have had poor results taking the MCAT and dashed hopes of ever getting into and succeeding at med school.

Don't quit!

I took that frackin test three times and scored 27, 24, 26. My undergrad gpa was 3.59. I did NOT get into school on my first try so I took two years after undergrad to do research, knock out some pubs, and get my Masters. I got into one and only one US med school the following year. The work I did in those years paid off enormously because although I never improved my MCAT, I was well prepared for med school courses and had some research under my belt. I just graduated with honors this weekend and will be starting my surgical subspecialty training at Mayo Clinic next month.

When I think back to those disappointing days when I got my MCAT scores back I can hardly believe that I got to where I am today. I was sure I would never be an MD. If you are or were in a similar situation, I know it can be devastating and downright scary to think that your goals are out of reach. Stay focused and do not quit your pursuit... It can be done.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on your success, but, nonetheless, n=1. The likelihood of someone (non-URM) gaining admission to a US MD with not only these stats but taking the MCAT three times is very slim, and people should be very aware of that fact.

Congrats on your success, but, nonetheless, n=1. The likelihood of someone (non-URM) gaining admission to a US MD with not only these stats but taking the MCAT three times is very slim, and people should be very aware of that fact.

Agreed that this is not the norm. I wouldn't have posted if it was. I was very much a Non-trad applicant. But I am not an n=1. Lots if people with poor scores gain admittance after taking time off to improve their application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to share my experience for those who have had poor results taking the MCAT and dashed hopes of ever getting into and succeeding at med school.

Don't quit!

I took that frackin test three times and scored 27, 24, 26. My undergrad gpa was 3.59. I did NOT get into school on my first try so I took two years after undergrad to do research, knock out some pubs, and get my Masters. I got into one and only one US med school the following year. The work I did in those years paid off enormously because although I never improved my MCAT, I was well prepared for med school courses and had some research under my belt. I just graduated with honors this weekend and will be starting my surgical subspecialty training at Mayo Clinic next month.

When I think back to those disappointing days when I got my MCAT scores back I can hardly believe that I got to where I am today. I was sure I would never be an MD. If you are or were in a similar situation, I know it can be devastating and downright scary to think that your goals are out of reach. Stay focused and do not quit your pursuit... It can be done.

Nice work on your successes! You know what they say. If you can dream it...

I took the MCAT 3 times and my medical school ain't too shabby. U mad bro?

I took the MCAT 3 times and my medical school ain't too shabby. U mad bro?

I'm not trying to diminish anyone's accomplishment's, I'm just keeping things in perspective. It's definitely an uphill battle for people in the OP's situation. But, as the OP has shown, it's possible to be successful despite the odds. That being said, the odds are still against applicants in said situation, and it takes a great deal of work to improve your application.

Why would I be mad? I didn't take the MCAT three times.

I took that thing three times too :( but hopeful about a fourth time :rolleyes:
I did just what you did minus the masters. Hopefully that research in the year off pays off!
..oh and the research from this year as well..while my application is judged by adcoms

Anywho, I'm sure a DO school will accept me (I hope).

Don't quit!

Thanks for sharing and give hope to some of us.

I believe people should quit when they feel like it... when they feel a sense of closure. I would say people should quit because people tell them they wont succeed, but rather when they had enough of tying.

Nice job! Will you be at the Rochester Mayo Clinic? I currently work there as well in Cardiovascular Diseases. Props on getting into Mayo....they only take the best. It's good to hear though about your situation, just because you didn't do well on an MCAT doesn't mean you cant or shouldn't be a physician.

Congratulations on your successes! I'm sure there'll be MANY more to come! This post provides MUCH needed hope from those who are thinking about giving up or think it's impossible to get into medical school with their current status, whether that's bad MCAT, low GPA, not enough research, etc. Even though I agree with the others that this is not the norm, it still provides anecdotal evidence from someone with a lower percentile MCAT score doing well. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's false hope, but I would say it's more-so a tiny glimmer of hope.

If you really want it, you'll find a way to make it work.

It's good to hear though about your situation, just because you didn't do well on an MCAT doesn't mean you cant or shouldn't be a physician.
5l.jpg