Bad MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USERX

Impossible is just an oppinion
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so the MCAT scores came out today. I received a low score of 501. This was the second time I took the exam (499 was my first score). This is pretty disappointing because I took a KPLAN course this time and felt like I was doing well in preparation. My GPA is 3.53 in Biomedical Engineering in Texas. So I am really at a loss of what to do. I can take another gap year but at the same time I feel like preparation doesnt seem to do much. Please help with your oppinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Yah,I took about 8 or 9. My highest score was a 505.
How were your AAMC FL 1 AND 2.. those seems to be pretty great indicator.. And also ,although, you don't have a stellar score, you may still have a shot so long as it's balanced. Have you check El past tech? Talked to them during the fair and their average is 503.

Members don't see this ad :)
How were your AAMC FL 1 AND 2.. those seems to be pretty great indicator.. And also ,although, you don't have a stellar score, you may still have a shot so long as it's balanced. Have you check El past tech? Talked to them during the fair and their average is 503.

FL1 I took before I took the real thing the first time and it wasn't great. FL2 I took a month ago and it was a 503 I think.

The breakdown on the real thing was 127, 122, 126, 126. My biggest issue isn't content but, as you can see, reading.

El Paso is great. My girlfriend interviewed there last summer and had good things to say about their unique approach to the first two years of case learning. Honestly, if I got in there I would be really happy! I'm already planning one gap year because I'm currently a senior and don't want another.

Hey everyone, so the MCAT scores came out today. I received a low score of 501. This was the second time I took the exam (499 was my first score). This is pretty disappointing because I took a KPLAN course this time and felt like I was doing well in preparation. My GPA is 3.53 in Biomedical Engineering in Texas. So I am really at a loss of what to do. I can take another gap year but at the same time I feel like preparation doesnt seem to do much. Please help with your oppinions.

I would apply broadly to DO and all the TX schools. I would also find a DO to shadow and get a DO LOR to strengthen your DO app.