Bad news about the combined match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any one who has any opinion on the Combined Match AND is a D.O. Student please go to this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=2261230#post2261230

And take the survey. We need more people. We have over 2600 so far, but that is only a fraction of the possibilities. Please spread the word and let’s take a stand--one way or another. But, taking this survey is the only way the Leadership is going to know for sure how the students feel in a verifiable manner.

Thanks all,

And keep up the good work

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe this has been written before, but I don't have the patience to read the entire post. How is anything going to change as long as the AOA elects (i'm using that word loosley) only people that have done AOA residencies? Aren't they kind of saying that there own education wasn't that great by pushing for a combined match on the basis of quality of education. We need to be pushing for a combined match, something I hope will happen during my tenure. However, an equally important issue is to allow any DO (AOA or ACGME trained) to serve in the higher echelons of the AOA, wouldn't this create a more reputable and harmonious organization? Just a few ?'s from an MS -.5.

Doc 2b said:
Maybe this has been written before, but I don't have the patience to read the entire post. How is anything going to change as long as the AOA elects (i'm using that word loosley) only people that have done AOA residencies? Aren't they kind of saying that there own education wasn't that great by pushing for a combined match on the basis of quality of education. We need to be pushing for a combined match, something I hope will happen during my tenure. However, an equally important issue is to allow any DO (AOA or ACGME trained) to serve in the higher echelons of the AOA, wouldn't this create a more reputable and harmonious organization? Just a few ?'s from an MS -.5.

The AOA is not the one pushing for a Combined Match. The students are, and the quality of an AOA program is not the motivating factor. It has been a perceived issue, but you have to remember that the match is simply a tool for logistical distribution of students. It has nothing to do with curriculum, elections, or son on. It may be true that happier residents may allow for increases in AOA membership, but that is an effect not the goal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Malph,
i think what doc2b is trying to say is that as long as the inept hold a monopoly on who is able to serve in leadership positions in upper ranks of the AOA we have no reason to expect any real substantial, beneficial, or even remotely important change...we'll keep sending in foolish postcards to everwood and ER as a way of promoting osteopathy, and our main focus will be to encourage students to use OMS in place of the repressive, condescending allopathic MS...

Where do I sign this????? how can i get others to sign this as well...thanks

PACtoDOC said:
So are we really ready to get moving on this issue yet? I had been delaying at my school because I had heard that the AOA prez was coming to our school to discuss this very issue. I wanted to coincide his presence with the circulation of the petition. Anyone heard anything like this on their end? TCOM2006?? Where are you on this?

there's no official date yet for Dr. T's visit to TCOM - see my email to you. and (to everyone) - please PM me - and tell me to look at the "xyz thread" if you really want to get a quick response (i really don't check this forum very often).

jhug said:
Malph,
i think what doc2b is trying to say is that as long as the inept hold a monopoly on who is able to serve in leadership positions in upper ranks of the AOA we have no reason to expect any real substantial, beneficial, or even remotely important change...we'll keep sending in foolish postcards to everwood and ER as a way of promoting osteopathy, and our main focus will be to encourage students to use OMS in place of the repressive, condescending allopathic MS...

my response to this concern (and it is a real concern) would be to get seriously involved in the policy making process of the AOAHOD (and i do mean seriously - talk with your student govt presidents, SOMA leadership, pass resolutions at state levels, attend the meetings, know the parli-pro, recognize what delegations you will need to move something through, etc.) i know not everyone can realistically make this level of committment - but perhaps we should start a thread on "AOA-HOD" so we can discuss the specifics of strategy rather than specific issues. the HOD sets all the rules and elects all the leadership.