1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Bad past GPA, just started pre req's

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by rockmed, May 18, 2008.

1. rockmed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just started my pred med courses this summer. In the past I took 5 computer related courses and the cumulative GPA is 2.5. Should I be concerned? What should I do? Is this going to hurt? Please advise.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes. You have to submit every transcript when you apply to med school.
    Yes. Every grade is factored into your GPA, which is used to judge you against the 40,000 applicants.
    Get A's from here out. Keep taking more undergrad courses until your GPA is "fixed" (which may not be possible). And/or look into doing an SMP after you finish your bachelors degree. Info on SMPs is in the postbac forum.

4. rockmed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    May sound silly... is it possible to directly do an SMP withoout doing the pre req's? I have a bachelors in engg from a foreign country.

5. chup12682

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hello all. I apologize in advance if this question may not quite be right for this thread, but I was wondering, for those who may have spoken to admission counselors at some medical schools, if post bacc grades are viewed more heavily than your undergraduate grades, especially if you've taken your pre-reqs at both institutions (obviously, I didn't do as well in my undergrad pre-reqs). I was hitting a 2.5 with my undergrad BCPM but I walked out of my post bacc program with a 3.984 BCPM (one A- in calculus II). This is with 56 credits throughout my time there. I know AMCAS will average in my grades, but at the end of the day I realize that my GPA still won't be a competitive number. I truly appreciate any insight into this matter that you may give. I know I'm not the only one worrying about this.

6. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No. SMPs are to improve a complete application (meaning you've taken the prereqs and taken the MCAT). See the postbac forum for more info.

7. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've only heard of one school (Miami) that specifically states a weighting that favors postbac work. And it's only for instate.

In addition to total GPAs, the apps divide things up by school year, and postbac gets its own line. Clearly you show a strong upward trend. That said, if your total overall and science GPAs are under 3.0, you are not going to enjoy your app year very much.

You don't say what your MCAT score is, and quite honestly, that's going to make or break you.

Best of luck to you.

8. rockmed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    one bad grade-- can I skip it and not show that as part of my under grad? Am I at risk?

9. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You have more than one bad grade, with a 2.5. C's are bad grades. You're competing against 40,000 applicants, most of whom have 3.5's or better. 60% don't get in, even though they have great records.

You cannot skip reporting a grade. You're required to submit every transcript, first to the app service, then to the school that accepts you. If you don't, then they find out and you get kicked out. Such as in 3rd year, when you're already $100k in debt.

10. chup12682

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks Dr. Midlife. I appreciate your input. I guess it kind of reinforces what I thought was always a strong possibility, which is to attend a SMP, even after all my work in my post bacc program. As for my MCATs, I've been doing steadily better and better. Believe it or not my very first diagnostic was a 17!!! But ofcourse, after much practice, I've worked my way onto AMCAS MCATs to a 32. As for my diag record, I started out with a 17. I progressed onto a 28, 30 and a 32. I'm not sure how high I have to hit on my MCATs to get accepted to a medical school. I reside in NY state and I know that they have some great state schools, but I also know that SO many applicants send their applications to New York, so I'm not sure how my in state status will even help me. I'm not opposed to DO schools, but I am going to apply as broadly as I can and see where it takes me. I may even have to send out applications come next spring to SMP programs... ::SIGH:: well, I feel that I've done the best I can thus far. If there is any further insight or advice you or anyone can give me, I'd much appreciate it.