Bad secondary photo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

crgirl

Ok, I need to hear from some people (please don't be harsh...)
I am in that super-insecure phase where I review all the mistakes I made. One thing I feel really stupid about is my secondary photo. I was just not smart and put in some casual, non-professional pictures. I wish I was more attentive to detail in this respect, but I guess I did not believe it was a huge deal until I read more about secondaries. Can someone please offer some insight? Is the photo a make or break?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Not a make or break. Adcoms would rather something professional like a dress shirt or a formal top. But every secondary I completed (25+) they asked for a passport size picture which barely shows what you're wearing. So to answer your question can it be viewed negatively on you ?? Yes.
Will this make or break your app ? NO
If everything else is solid you should be fine. no one will throw away your application because of this but it can plant basis in peoples head about your professionalism/maturity.

May I ask what exactly you were wearing? T-shirt?

Members don't see this ad :)
Which dress are you wearing right now?

Reactions: 5 users
Not a make or break. Adcoms would rather something professional like a dress shirt or a formal top. But every secondary I completed (25+) they asked for a passport size picture which barely shows what you're wearing. So to answer your question can it be viewed negatively on you ?? Yes.
Will this make or break your app ? NO
If everything else is solid you should be fine. no one will throw away your application because of this but it can plant basis in peoples head about your professionalism/maturity.
Thanks for that... I appreciate your honesty and comforting words! I THINK my app looks good elsewhere, so hopefully this doesn't really screw me over.

At my first interview they had a big poster board with all of our pics we sent. It seemed like most people were pretty casual with theirs (a lot of them looked like they just downloaded a random selfie from Facebook or something)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't think it's make or break. Sure, it's better to dress more conservatively since you don't know who would be looking at your app. But I think as long as you aren't holding a shot glass looking semi-drunk I don't think it will be detrimental. Does it affect adcoms' first impression? Absolutely.

At my first interview they had a big poster board with all of our pics we sent. It seemed like most people were pretty casual with theirs (a lot of them looked like they just downloaded a random selfie from Facebook or something)

I don't think it's make or break. Sure, it's better to dress more conservatively since you don't know who would be looking at your app. But I think as long as you aren't holding a shot glass looking semi-drunk I don't think it will be detrimental. Does it affect adcoms' first impression? Absolutely.

So glad there are so many supportive people on here! totally agree...not a great first impression. Hopefully they see beyond that. Again, thanks so so much. Y'all are good people :)

I think as long as you don't give any serial killer or "will likely be actively drunk while performing surgery" vibes you should be fine.

*A spotlight appears center stage and reveals Doc.gif, poised and sullen*

Doc.gif: They blew it. Can you imagine that? Just a picture, that was all, and they blew it.

*A crescent moon comes down from the flyspace. It holds the rest of the SDN members, who make up the chorus. They sing*

Chorus: They blew it! Just a picture oh my! They blew it. Will be an acupuncturist oh my!

Reactions: 1 user
Where, oh where is the wise @gyngyn when you need him????

I am in that super-insecure phase where I review all the mistakes I made. One thing I feel really stupid about is my secondary photo. I was just not smart and put in some casual, non-professional pictures. I wish I was more attentive to detail in this respect, but I guess I did not believe it was a huge deal until I read more about secondaries. Can someone please offer some insight? Is the photo a make or break?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was it a selfie while driving?
Underwater in scuba gear?
Taken in a bathroom with the shower curtain as a backdrop?
Wedding photo?

Wait, would a wedding photo really be as bad as the other 3?

What, would he balance a shot glass on top of his head?

did selfie with kissy lips. Will update on results

Reactions: 4 users
Selfie crew checking in. Wore a nice shirt with a red brick wall as the back drop.

Actually went to CVS and paid to get a passport photo - picture could not have been sketchier. Chose the selfie in the end
I like you. Selfie crew pride

If you're good looking I'm sure no one will care.

Thanks.

You're not showing cleavage are you?

You're screwed, would recommend looking into podiatry programs or something.

I sent in a pic of me at a wedding with a pretty large beard. I'm coming in with a clean shave. Always keep them on their toes.

From ADCOMS at Utsw, I heard that it's a big deal. But that was only two from the twenty that openly make a big deal about the photo.

You're screwed, would recommend looking into podiatry programs or something.
That's a good question actually. I have heard from certain adcoms that it may be a big deal. Trying not to give myself away but it is a big deal to some....but not most of course

@crgirl I think at this point you should just post the picture on here (for research purposes, of course).

Thanks.
i sent a photo of myself with a tshirt on a boat to all my schools. already got interviews from usc, ucsd, and irvine, so i'm thinking it's not a break at the least :) don't overthink it too much, they understand that you're a person and that you probably don't wear dress clothing every day