Bad semester retaliated with a good semester...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supraman

Boston Celtics
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did horrible last year semester. I had 10 credits and had a low GPA in that same semester and felt miserable. I took 19 credits the next semester (this one) and got a 4.0 (orgo 2, micro, physics, cell bio, labs). How does that look now? What do you guys think? How will 10 credits AND did bad and a 4.0 with a heavy load make me look? Its been bugging me lately. Thanks guys..

Members don't see this ad.

I had a similar problem, I had a problem quarter my freshmen year but I picked it up and took more classes the next quarter and did well. I continued to do well in school to try to raise my gpa.

I don't think it was that bog of a deal, so far I got into NYU without interview and was invited to Arizona, BU, and Tufts for interview. Still waiting for the rest of the schools since I applied in September and the AADSAS had problems with my LOR which held up my application. It was all complete and under review in December.

I am not sure what year you are in, but make sure to keep getting good grades. Take less classes per semester if you need to (so you don't get burned out) but make sure to keep getting good grades. An "upward trend" is good!

Good luck

howui3 said:
I had a similar problem, I had a problem quarter my freshmen year but I picked it up and took more classes the next quarter and did well. I continued to do well in school to try to raise my gpa.

I don't think it was that bog of a deal, so far I got into NYU without interview and was invited to Arizona, BU, and Tufts for interview. Still waiting for the rest of the schools since I applied in September and the AADSAS had problems with my LOR which held up my application. It was all complete and under review in December.

I am not sure what year you are in, but make sure to keep getting good grades. Take less classes per semester if you need to (so you don't get burned out) but make sure to keep getting good grades. An "upward trend" is good!

Good luck

Ahh I feel better, thanks. I am a sophmore, so just nail everything from here on in huh?

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you are a sophmore, you have plenty of time to raise you gpa WAY UP. And it seems that you are a smurt guy/girl once you focused on school, since you got straight A's in those difficult question.

Keep up the good work and you should have no trouble. Make sure you study and do well on the DAT as well.

Haha retaliated, what a word choice. You own a Supra supraman? If so what year?

boree said:
Haha retaliated, what a word choice. You own a Supra supraman? If so what year?

Haha no, no Supra, an RSX though :).

My GPA prior to my 4.0 was a 3.05, hows that look now assuming I do well from here on in?

supraman said:
Haha no, no Supra, an RSX though :).

My GPA prior to my 4.0 was a 3.05, hows that look now assuming I do well from here on in?
Continue to do well for the rest of your semesters until application. I had a 3.1 and boosted it to a 3.48 after 3 semesters of 3.9s. I also studied hard for the DAT and it helped me get interviews to all 3 schools I applied to. So, it still can be done. Just work hard and your dream to become a dentist will soon be a reality.

Good luck,
Rich

Richnator said:
Continue to do well for the rest of your semesters until application. I had a 3.1 and boosted it to a 3.48 after 3 semesters of 3.9s. I also studied hard for the DAT and it helped me get interviews to all 3 schools I applied to. So, it still can be done. Just work hard and your dream to become a dentist will soon be a reality.

Good luck,
Rich

I had a real low GPA (under 3) and got in. GPA is overrated.

supraman said:
I did horrible last year semester. I had 10 credits and had a low GPA in that same semester and felt miserable. I took 19 credits the next semester (this one) and got a 4.0 (orgo 2, micro, physics, cell bio, labs). How does that look now? What do you guys think? How will 10 credits AND did bad and a 4.0 with a heavy load make me look? Its been bugging me lately. Thanks guys..

Good GPA is important but it is not the only thing. If you have over all good application you shoud not have any problems. Actually, you are in real good shape if you do well on DAT. Look, I had 3 D's in One semester and that brought my GPA down but I worked hard after that and I am in D school. Show the ADCOM that one bad semester was a fluke. Don't make a habit of it. People do get in with Low GPA but it is not the norm. I know a guy with under 3.0 and 24 DAt and is applying for the 3rd time. he has a great extra curricular. So, try to do as good as you can and keep that GPA up because high GPA will give you a lots of options when choosing a D School. Good Luck.

Hot pickle baby said:
I had a real low GPA (under 3) and got in. GPA is overrated.
It must've been your charming personality that got you in.

GPA isn't overrated. I've been on both sides of the admissions process, and it remains one of the most pivotal components of an application.

I usually retaliate a good semester with a bad semester :laugh:

Mustt Mustt said:
Good GPA is important but it is not the only thing. If you have over all good application you shoud not have any problems. Actually, you are in real good shape if you do well on DAT. Look, I had 3 D's in One semester and that brought my GPA down but I worked hard after that and I am in D school. Show the ADCOM that one bad semester was a fluke. Don't make a habit of it. People do get in with Low GPA but it is not the norm. I know a guy with under 3.0 and 24 DAt and is applying for the 3rd time. he has a great extra curricular. So, try to do as good as you can and keep that GPA up because high GPA will give you a lots of options when choosing a D School. Good Luck.

So what happened with the guy with under 3.0 and HIGH DAT? Third time applying as in 3rd cycle? Rejected from all schools first and second time? And you got 3 D's in one semester? What happened? Thanks for all the responses, I will never make a mistake like this EVER again.

aphistis said:
It must've been your charming personality that got you in.

GPA isn't overrated. I've been on both sides of the admissions process, and it remains one of the most pivotal components of an application.

And I am sure that all of your smart remarks got you in.

You havent been on both sides, DONT KID YOURSELF, YOU ARE A STUDENT, end of discussion.

You havent been on both sides. You havent finished 1 side. :laugh:

Hot pickle baby said:
And I am sure that all of your smart remarks got you in.

You havent been on both sides, DONT KID YOURSELF, YOU ARE A STUDENT, end of discussion.

You havent been on both sides. You havent finished 1 side. :laugh:

You kidding right. If you are not than it shows how ignorant you are. He is conducitng Interviews at Indiana and he knows what he is talking about. he is not just some guy with speculations but knows what goes on in the selection process.

supraman said:
So what happened with the guy with under 3.0 and HIGH DAT? Third time applying as in 3rd cycle? Rejected from all schools first and second time? And you got 3 D's in one semester? What happened? Thanks for all the responses, I will never make a mistake like this EVER again.

Well, the guy with High DAt didn't get accepted last two cycles and Has one interview with BU this year sometime in february. There is no gurantee that he will get in this year. He is really dedicated but screwed up in Undergrad and now he is paying the price.

Well my 3D's. It was due to family and personal reasons. It had nothing to do with my academic ability. I got asked questions about it in the interviews and I told them exactly what happened. Don't lie just tell them you made a mistake or whatever is truth. But I had 67 credits after that semester with 3.8 GPA so they knew I could handle D school. Just try to do best you can and you will get into D school. You are fine and stop worrying but stay focused. Good Luck.

Mustt Mustt said:
You kidding right. If you are not than it shows how ignorant you are. He is conducitng Interviews at Indiana and he knows what he is talking about. he is not just some guy with speculations but knows what goes on in the selection process.
what? students dont conduct interviews. If they do their input means squat. They just sit in their high chairs and the professors come around and spoon feed them.

Students input=squat in interviews. plain and simple.

Mustt Mustt said:
Well, the guy with High DAt didn't get accepted last two cycles and Has one interview with BU this year sometime in february. There is no gurantee that he will get in this year. He is really dedicated but screwed up in Undergrad and now he is paying the price.

Well my 3D's. It was due to family and personal reasons. It had nothing to do with my academic ability. I got asked questions about it in the interviews and I told them exactly what happened. Don't lie just tell them you made a mistake or whatever is truth. But I had 67 credits after that semester with 3.8 GPA so they knew I could handle D school. Just try to do best you can and you will get into D school. You are fine and stop worrying but stay focused. Good Luck.

next time you tell someone they are ignorant, please do not follow up in a one of your posts that you got 3 D's in undergrad.

who looks ignorant now??? :mad: