Bad Sign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Kate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far, I've gotten one rejection (BU), and three holds. Morehouse, Upstate, and Penn State. And I'm IS for Upstate. I'm starting to worry because this seems like a really bad sign. Will I get any interviews? (This of course is a rhetorical question.)
But, seriously, should I be worried? Because I am.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 20 and have 1 rejection (G-town), 3 hold (drexel, GWU, Upstate) and zero interviews. I am alos getting nervous.

3.3s 3.43c (strong upward trend)
10bs 10ps 9vr
Good EC's: Leadership roles and clinical volunteering

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh on the bright side, BU tends to give really weird rejections. Well not weird, but I get the feeling that they are looking for something very specific, and with the volume of applications they get, they can pick and choose. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Elsewhere, I wouldn't freak out yet. It's early still. If you hear no good news by mid November, THEN I would start to let the neuroticism loose a little bit.

Good luck :]

Thanks everyone. I feel a bit better now. I have about the same credentials as mbe36, except my VR was an 8 and my overall gpa was 3.53. Science gpa was the same. My ECs were also good too, volunteering, shadowing, leadership, the works. I've applied to 22 schools.

I guess I'll take your advice and try not to worry until November. But it's hard not to worry. I think once I get at least one interview invite I'll be a lot more at ease. Then I'll at least know someone might want me.

So far, I've gotten one rejection (BU), and three holds. Morehouse, Upstate, and Penn State. And I'm IS for Upstate. I'm starting to worry because this seems like a really bad sign. Will I get any interviews? (This of course is a rhetorical question.)
But, seriously, should I be worried? Because I am.

It's still pretty early for most medical schools. Remember that the average for matriculants last year was uGPA of 3.65 and MCAT31. You can look at your numbers and see where you fall here as you are average, above average or below average. That's your starting point because trust me on this one, that's the starting point of most medical schools.

If you are below average, then you have a long wait on your hands. Get busy and work on your "Plan B" (what you will do if you don't get in) so that you are not "worried" as much (no time to worry). No amount of worry with change the fact that you either are going to get into medical school or you won't. Keeping yourself busy and preparing for the worst will make whatever happens next a bit easier.

It always goes that the more elaborate and complete your "Plan B" the less chance you will have to use it.

I'm IS like you and I got the same rejections and holds from all the school's you did... that's funny. We've got similiar stats though.... just hang in there... Good Luck! :D

maybe we should date... ;)