Bad start but bringing it up. What are my chances? Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulUnderdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I can achieve a 3.1-3.3 cgpa by the time I graduate, and get a 30-34 MCAT scores, will I have a decent shot at DO schools in the New York area or the programs in Chicago?

Members don't see this ad.

How do the rest of your extracurriculars look? E.g. clinical experience, volunteering, research (not as required) ? An MCAT in that range would be great for DO.

Edit - That GPA may be a bit low for the Chicago DO school, as their average seems to be about a 3.53 or so. Not sure about NY DO.

Last edited:
How do the rest of your extracurriculars look? E.g. clinical experience, volunteering, research (not as required) ? An MCAT in that range would be great for DO.

Edit - That GPA may be a bit low for the Chicago DO school, as their average seems to be about a 3.53 or so. Not sure about NY DO.
Is there any thing I can do to get into any medical school if I have that gpa? No matter how much time it takes? Or is my dream over? My ECs are still building as well, but I won't apply till next year or so. I am an upper junior.

Is there any thing I can do to get into any medical school if I have that gpa? No matter how much time it takes? Or is my dream over? My ECs are still building as well, but I won't apply till next year or so. I am an upper junior.

Well DO schools have grade replacement, so if you re-take science courses, they will take your higher score. You can always do a post-bacc or Special Master's program at a med school to show that you can handle the academic rigor. But since you're a junior, it'll be possible to bring up your GPA if you ace your senior as well.