Bad start (freshman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

htemps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First semester I didn't get a single 'A.' I failed chem 1 and I am retaking it this semester.
I am doing 'B' work in it now, and I'm also doing 'B' work in Biology.

My concern is this:
In highschool, I was a 4.0 student. I don't know what it is about college, but I'm not doing well. I don't drink, or party, or really waste time. It may even be a test anxiety issue.

I know I can achieve 4.0s in future semesters, but I'm just wondering if there is anybody in med school now who had a really bad freshman semester.
Most people say that freshman year is often the year to screw up, but that's mainly because people having chosen a major or declared pre-med.

But I've been pre-med from the start.
I know gpa isn't everything, but really, I need hope here.

Members don't see this ad.

First semester I didn't get a single 'A.' I failed chem 1 and I am retaking it this semester.
I am doing 'B' work in it now, and I'm also doing 'B' work in Biology.

My concern is this:
In highschool, I was a 4.0 student. I don't know what it is about college, but I'm not doing well. I don't drink, or party, or really waste time. It may even be a test anxiety issue.

I know I can achieve 4.0s in future semesters, but I'm just wondering if there is anybody in med school now who had a really bad freshman semester.
Most people say that freshman year is often the year to screw up, but that's mainly because people having chosen a major or declared pre-med.

But I've been pre-med from the start.
I know gpa isn't everything, but really, I need hope here.

I am actually in college right now, about to finish my freshman year. I got off to a bad start my first semester, getting a 3.3 cumulative. It's not horrible, but in knowing that I could do better, it was a pretty tough blow to me. Now I am hoping to get a 4.0 for this semester if I'm lucky :)

It all takes a different style of approach. In high school, I was able to study 1-2 nights before the test and get 100 on it. In college, that's not so easy to accomplish. Best advice I could give you is to break up your studying into sections, and try to study starting 10 days-2 weeks before tests, you should do great on them.

If it's a problem of test anxiety (which I have as well), just relax, tell yourself that you know the material back and front (at least, I hope you do :p), and you're going to do great on this test. But it's a fine line; don't get cocky (as I do) and overlook something, or make careless mistakes. Stay focused, but don't stress yourself out.

Let us know how you do this semester!