bad start gpa and mcat great finish

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BarcaBest23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, well first off these are my stats.... 1st mcat 27R (9PS, 8VS, 10BS)... 2nd mcat 34Q (11PS, 11VS, 12BS). Did terrible on my first due to sickness and had to fly to another city just to take the damn exam. Needless to say I actually studied for the exam the second time around and did much better. Also my cgpa is 3.55 and my sgpa is 3.6. My trend goes as follows.. pretty much a 2.0 my first year in college and then consistent 3.8-4.0 all my other semesters.. surprisingly after a good recovery of nearly straight As every semester I still ended up with an average cgpa. Nevertheless my extracurriculars range from college D1 athletics to tutoring physics, ochem, and genetics, working at a genetics lab at my university for 2 years and then working at a very well respected biotech. company in massachusetts for a year which i received a scholarship and my internship was extended into a coop. I also have some clinical experience working at rural clinics in south america. roughly about 3 months worth of work, hoping to do some more when i get back to the U.S. what do you think of my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Your numbers are fine. Nice job raising the MCAT and bringing up a poor GPA. Continue to add to your clinical experience each week before applying. And shadow US doctors, not those in another country. Your other ECs look fine. Is there any activity you'd call leadership? If you continue to build the strength of your application, you should do well in the application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
forgot to mention that I was mainly looking at low-tier to mid-tier schools... only about two reaches which would be UPitt and UVA. The others I would like to have a shot at are GW, VCU, WV, UVT, Penn State, and my state school UMASS. Any advice on my chances at these schools? Thanks much appreciated.

UPitt and UVA are a bit of a reach, but you're fine for the others (way more than fine for most). I'd apply to more than eight schools.