Bad start.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Murph16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to end my sophomore year. I had a dismal first semester freshman year, and I pulled off a 1.9 GPA (personal issues). But I've gotten A's ever since. I currently have a 3.45 GPA and I feel confident to finish off close to or at a 3.7. Here are my other stats:

Academic:
-Biological sciences major.
-Math minor.

Research:
-Spent freshman year working on a physics-biology project under a professor. Ended with a paid internship at a physics laboratory in the summer. Did a poster, but no publication.
-Started sophomore year in a Bio-Math fellowship. Lasts two years. Made a poster, attended a couple school-wide colloquiums, will attend a nationwide conference this fall, and will end the fellowship with a thesis--hopefully a publication will transpire.

Clinical:
-Spend my summers volunteering at a childrens hospital; 70 hours so far.
-Shadowed one pediatric ER doc so far.

Other EC:
-Will start volunteer tutoring next fall for high school kids.
-Volunteered in feeding and providing food for the homeless.

Truthfully, this potential application seems scanty. I feel I need more EC and more shadowing experience. Moreover, I will most likely take a year off after my four years of undergrad. What do you guys think about my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Looks good. Just need to hit the mcat and you'll be good.

Everything looks all good. Like he said, nail the MCAT and be prepared to answer a question about first semester in your interviews. If you are REALLY concerned about having <3.5 gpa you could fill out some DO apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree you need more shadowing. More clinical experience would be nice too. You're lacking a leadership activity. See what you can do about that this next year. The tutoring plan is good. Staying with the research is very good. And I'd hope you'll contine the nonmedical community service at the homeless shelter as well.

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks for the feedback.

One thing though, it has crossed my mind that I need a leadership activity. However, I feel tutoring is sufficient. I've talked to others; most agree with me. I hope this may be true, for the only other immediate option would be student government or club officer positions; which I' am not interested in.