neuroride

10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2006
SD
Status
Attending Physician
Hey, starting to look for jobs. I lived in Minnesota at one time and would like to look for a job there but I thought I remembered someone saying something about the taxes and/or something about restrictions in practice that detered from working in the state.
Kinda vague but does anyone work in Min. and have some insight? Appreciate any help

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
level at FL210
Status
Hey, starting to look for jobs. I lived in Minnesota at one time and would like to look for a job there but I thought I remembered someone saying something about the taxes and/or something about restrictions in practice that detered from working in the state.
Kinda vague but does anyone work in Min. and have some insight? Appreciate any help
The bad thing about Minnesota jobs is they're in

Minnesota.:laugh:

just kidding

not a cold weather person tho

2win

10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
There is a REASON that there are jobs there....

About the Ads

cchoukal

15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2001
SF, CA
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
MN is an opt-out state, and the only jobs I've known were strictly ACT 4:1 direction. The academic dept at the U has long been very week and is a sort of academic-private hybrid with a pretty marginal-performing residency. Aside form those things, I think from a pure PP angle, the guys I knew made good money and lots of vacation...

imfrankie

Anesthesiologist
7+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2011
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
MN is an opt-out state, and the only jobs I've known were strictly ACT 4:1 direction. The academic dept at the U has long been very week and is a sort of academic-private hybrid with a pretty marginal-performing residency. Aside form those things, I think from a pure PP angle, the guys I knew made good money and lots of vacation...
Mayo is a pretty reputable place that is in Minnesota.

B-Bone

Attending
15+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Most of the jobs in the state are supervisory, including all in the Mpls/St Paul metro area and Rochester. I believe most jobs in Duluth and St Cloud are also supervisory. There may be some MD only stuff out on rural areas as well as CRNA only and (bleccccchhhhh) MD/CRNA working side by side (non-supervisory). I know that over the past few years, the job market in the twin cities metro are has been really tight with only a few positions available and numerous applicants. Groups are pretty picky right now. I love my job, but it came with a three year partnership track starting at about 1/3-1/4 what the partners made (and half the vacation), but jumping up significantly each year until partner. That is pretty standard in the Twin Cities, except for one group with a five year (!!!) track. I love living in Minnesota, and my job affords me enough cash and vacay to get away to warmer climes when I want. If your delicate girly man skin is too thin (Jet...;)) for the winters, it may not be for you. Otherwise pretty rad.

imfrankie

Anesthesiologist
7+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2011
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
Most of the jobs in the state are supervisory, including all in the Mpls/St Paul metro area and Rochester. I believe most jobs in Duluth and St Cloud are also supervisory. There may be some MD only stuff out on rural areas as well as CRNA only and (bleccccchhhhh) MD/CRNA working side by side (non-supervisory). I know that over the past few years, the job market in the twin cities metro are has been really tight with only a few positions available and numerous applicants. Groups are pretty picky right now. I love my job, but it came with a three year partnership track starting at about 1/3-1/4 what the partners made (and half the vacation), but jumping up significantly each year until partner. That is pretty standard in the Twin Cities, except for one group with a five year (!!!) track. I love living in Minnesota, and my job affords me enough cash and vacay to get away to warmer climes when I want. If your delicate girly man skin is too thin (Jet...;)) for the winters, it may not be for you. Otherwise pretty rad.
Born in Minnesota...very funny ending.
So how's work at the University in your estimation?
I understand they are looking for pedi-trained people for the Amplatz.
Much in the way of lakefront living in the Twin Cities?

sevoflurane

Ride
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Lived in Wayzata for a while. I liked it. Boundary waters north of Duluth is an epic place to go camping and canoeing/portaging. :thumbup:

B-Bone

Attending
15+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Born in Minnesota...very funny ending.
So how's work at the University in your estimation?
I understand they are looking for pedi-trained people for the Amplatz.
Much in the way of lakefront living in the Twin Cities?

I really don't know what it's like to work as an anesthesiologist at the U. When I was a med student there, the program was very small and not well respected in the institution. Like cchoukal said, it's a weird hybrid practice where most rooms are covered by a private group (Twin Cities Anesthesia) and some by "staff" anesthesiologists from the university. Both groups supervise (and ostensibly teach) residents and SRNAs as well as CRNAs. If I remember, they get paid pretty well for an academic institution and they weren't in house on call when I was a student. not a lot in the way of research there. since I left, they got a new chair and a number of new faculty, so it may be getting better.

As far as Amplatz, it's a new deal. Again both TCA and the U faculty work there. I don't know exactly what the demand was for a third dedicated children's hospital in the twin cities, but I'm not sure there are a whole ton of peds cases to go around, especially to the "new guy on the block". Both Mpls childrens and St Paul childrens are decent places with a full range of services, so I'm not sure how Amplatz fits in. A few peeps from my med school class just started/will be starting soon there, so maybe I'll find out more over the next few months.

As far as lakefront, minnesota (and esp mpls/SP) is the place to be. Although around the ritzy mpls lakes, property values and taxes are brutal. One of my partners pays ~$40,000/yr property taxes for his lakeshore pad, so be prepared to bring your checkbook.

imfrankie

Anesthesiologist
7+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2011
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
I really don't know what it's like to work as an anesthesiologist at the U. When I was a med student there, the program was very small and not well respected in the institution. Like cchoukal said, it's a weird hybrid practice where most rooms are covered by a private group (Twin Cities Anesthesia) and some by "staff" anesthesiologists from the university. Both groups supervise (and ostensibly teach) residents and SRNAs as well as CRNAs. If I remember, they get paid pretty well for an academic institution and they weren't in house on call when I was a student. not a lot in the way of research there. since I left, they got a new chair and a number of new faculty, so it may be getting better.

As far as Amplatz, it's a new deal. Again both TCA and the U faculty work there. I don't know exactly what the demand was for a third dedicated children's hospital in the twin cities, but I'm not sure there are a whole ton of peds cases to go around, especially to the "new guy on the block". Both Mpls childrens and St Paul childrens are decent places with a full range of services, so I'm not sure how Amplatz fits in. A few peeps from my med school class just started/will be starting soon there, so maybe I'll find out more over the next few months.

As far as lakefront, minnesota (and esp mpls/SP) is the place to be. Although around the ritzy mpls lakes, property values and taxes are brutal. One of my partners pays ~$40,000/yr property taxes for his lakeshore pad, so be prepared to bring your checkbook.
$40k in taxes = goodbye woodie

sevoflurane

Ride
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
When were you in Wayzata? I grew up there. Class of 93.
Ha... small world. My fam moved there in '93... after graduation. I spent a couple of summers there. Lot's of fishing... love them northern pikes... they'll give you a nice little fight.

My brother went to highschool at Wayzata high. Loved it.

My entire fam is in Cali now... but I don't think it's for me. It has some economic issues that are pervasive.

pgg

Laugh at me, will they?
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2005
Not home
Status
Attending Physician
One of my partners pays ~$40,000/yr property taxes for his lakeshore pad, so be prepared to bring your checkbook.
:eek:

Is that a $4 million house on a 10 acre lot, or a cabin with 50 feet of waterfront?

B-Bone

Attending
15+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
:eek:

Is that a $4 million house on a 10 acre lot, or a cabin with 50 feet of waterfront?
split the difference. it's a $2 million house on half an acre. still... DAMN!

cchoukal

15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2001
SF, CA
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
split the difference. it's a $2 million house on half an acre. still... DAMN!
Yeah, but it's probably on Lake of the Isles or something like that...

Sevo, sounds like we just missed each other. I left in 93 and never came back. Nice place to be from, I guess, but it was never a love affair for me.

About the Ads