Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Bad to mention activities in PS and on AMCAS?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by woltej1, 05.16.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. woltej1

woltej1 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So in the thread about the work/activities, it says to avoid saying the same activities as your most meaningful and then also mention them in your PS. For me though I had all 3 in my PS, which kind of makes sense since I consider them meaningful since they impacted me. Should I find different material for my PS and save those for the AMCAS portion, or just come at them from different angles in both.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Shazam243

Shazam243 2+ Year Member

Do as you feel most comfortable.

What was advised is use the extra space for other activities. If those three are the most meaningful experiences and helped shape your decision to pursue medicine, then use it for PS and use most meaningful for something else (and what you learned from those other activities).

You can also use the space to provide another perspective if you really want to, but it is not advised. Again do as you feel most comfortable.

Regardless of what you choose, focus on content quality and concision.

4. gonnif

gonnif Only 1435 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    What I suggest is build upon the EC and most meaningful. You write them as solid foundations in the appropriate sections and then you write your PS assuming the reader has read those EC and meaningful statements. So you can discuss what you did in EC and then what meant to, how it motivated you, etc into medicine in the PS

5. woltej1

woltej1 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Do you think using a very specific story from my experiences in my PS and how it affected me and then giving a much more general take away in the EC would separate them enough so it doesn't seem like I'm regurgitating the same stuff?

6. gonnif

gonnif Only 1435 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Lets see if I can explain this. Your thinking is opposite of what I mean. Assume the EC and PS are part of the same story, write them with each other in mind. Usually that is the "facts" about the activity go into the EC. What you learned, how it impacted you, goes in the PS

Example:
    EC: EMT on local volunteer ambulance. With about 500 total hours, worked as driver, attendant and crew chief. was elected officer

PS: the night with the MVA with 7 patients and you in charge on the ambulance. How you dealt with patients and family, etc

7. woltej1

woltej1 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't think I'd need even close to 2000 characters if I explained the facts. Is that a problem or is marking it as meaningful just to bring it to the attention of an adcom to make it a possible talking point.

8. gonnif

Non-Student
    My suggestion is either write it as EC and then in PS

OR

write it as a meaningful

9. hoihaie

hoihaie Banned Banned

Medical Student
    Chose a different story to talk about in your most meaningful essay than the one you talked about in personal statement. There must be more than 1 stories you can talk about if that activity is something you deam important enough to talk about in your personal statement and list as one of the most meaningful activities

About the ads