Bad to take MCAT early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apoptosis123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a sophomore and want to apply at the end of my Junior year. I'll be finishing up all my pre-req classes this quarter, and I have nothing planned for summer, so I figured studying for the MCAT over summer and taking it in September before school starts would be perfect. I've been reading around and hearing that you should take the MCAT during the same year that you apply though... I don't know if this is referring to calendar year or school year but is there anything bad about my schedule?

Also, I know AMCAS says to sign up for the MCAT at least 60 days before the test date. I was wondering though, do the 1PM and 2PM administrations fill up faster than the 8AM ones?

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

It's not a bad idea to take it early as long as you are prepared for it. If you've taken all your prereqs and done well in them and if you have ample time to prepare, I see no reason that you shouldn't take it in September. I think you'll do your best whenever you have the most time to focus on the MCAT and if that's after your sophomore year, that's fine.

I don't know but I'd guess that the PM sessions fill up first because college students hate the morning.

one thing to consider, though, is that the earlier you take an mcat, the sooner it expires, so be sure your application house is in order if you take this route

If I was in your shoes I would go ahead and take the exam at the end of summer. Seeing as how you have the pre-reqs done and it seems like your summer is pretty much free, this is the perfect opportunity for you to study hard and get this part of your app over with. I'm a junior now and I'm taking the MCAT in a couple of weeks. I can tell you that it's not fun being in school while studying for the MCAT (and taking it).

Summer is really the best opportunity to spend a good, healthy chunk of time mastering all of the concepts. Your MCAT score is good for 3 years, so you should be fine to take it this summer and it will be valid for at least 2 application cycles.

Good Luck :thumbup:

As long as you know for sure you want to go to medical school directly out of college, take the MCAT now. Keep in mind you will have to prepare your entire application, including ECs, before you apply. You absolutely do NOT have to take the MCAT the same year you apply. I think that's a bad idea because it usually forces students to take the MCAT under less than ideal conditions to say the least.

Make sure you sign up for your MCAT as soon as possible. You do not want to wait and miss out. Heck, check for seats now.