a

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ploqt54

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
He

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have a cumulative 2.1 GPA. I had major family issues and instead of taking a break until I was emotionally stable to focus on school again, I stayed in school and kept taking the same classes over and over. I retook a science course 4 times.

This lead me to no confidence in school. Pharmacy is my dream and I don't want to give up. Do I have a chance? Are there any experiences you know of similar to this?

My GPA: 2.1
Pcat: did not take yet
volunteering now and worked as a technician for 2 years
Also own my own cake business

Is there anyway tips/ideas you can give me?

Interesting about the cake business.

There are some pharmacy schools that will do grade replacement for like 2 classes, some schools will replace even more classes! If u got a C and then retake to get an A, that could drastically change your GPA.

Pharmacy schools are super easy to get into compared to other health professions, if you are not choosy about the school. Is there any way to work ur GPA up to a 3.0 in the next two years? There was someone here on the forums that was able to get in with a 2.5 GPA. The biggest problem u will face is not getting into a school, but completing school and passing the state boards.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting about the cake business.

There are some pharmacy schools that will do grade replacement for like 2 classes, some schools will replace even more classes! If u got a C and then retake to get an A, that could drastically change your GPA.

Pharmacy schools are super easy to get into compared to other health professions, if you are not choosy about the school. Is there any way to work ur GPA up to a 3.0 in the next two years? There was someone here on the forums that was able to get in with a 2.5 GPA. The biggest problem u will face is not getting into a school, but completing school and passing the state boards.

I wasn't aware that any pharmacy schools did grade replacement? Would you mind sharing any schools, that you know of, that do this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
2.1 before you threw it into PharmCAS or after? Because retaking a science class four times is excessive to me. You'd have to do EXTREMELY well in all of your classes until you graduate and make the PCAT your bitch. You might also need to be able to explain why your gpa got so low in the first place. Everyone has family issues, what made yours so bad that you had to take a class four times over?

Otherwise I don't know what to tell you. I got into school with mediocre grades and an okay pcat score and I applied really late, so if pharmacy is what you live breathe and die for you've still got a chance.

I wasn't aware that any pharmacy schools did grade replacement? Would you mind sharing any schools, that you know of, that do this? Thanks!

I know Purdue University does grade replacement for 2 classes. They also don't require the PCAT!

If you retook a science class 4 times what makes you think you will survive the rigors of pharmacy school? Like seriously.....

My advice to you is sit back and reflect whether pharmacy is really for you cuz a 2.1 GPA won't get you into any school. Most pharmacy schools cutoff GPA is 2.5.

On the other hand, if you are so determined to get into pharmacy school then I will suggest you matriculate in a community college retake all the classes didn't do well in and trust me, you shouldn't even negotiate for a B. Try to get all A's, volunteer in a pharmacy setting, and then own the PCAT with Atleast 70 composite score or above.

This should take you at least a year or two depending on how many prereqs you have left. If you can't challenge yourself by having a good upward trend and proving not only to schools but to yourself that you can deal with the rigors of pharmacy school then go ahead and apply if you have achieved these goals. But if you can't , then I will suggest you think twice and choose another profession cuz you will be getting yourself into huge debts and then going through pharmacy school which is kinda tough before passing the boards. So think hard and Goodluck.

Reactions: 4 users
is the 2.1 cGPA calculated by pharmcas or your school? if its the latter then its guaranteed to be lower in pharmcas and unless you can retake with all A's in those classes there is virtually no way you can bring up your cGPA

Hello,
I have a cumulative 2.1 GPA. I had major family issues and instead of taking a break until I was emotionally stable to focus on school again, I stayed in school and kept taking the same classes over and over. I retook a science course 4 times.

This lead me to no confidence in school. Pharmacy is my dream and I don't want to give up. Do I have a chance? Are there any experiences you know of similar to this?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/you-could-get-in-but.1163470/

Reactions: 2 users
Does every "will-I-get-in" post on the pre-pharmacy forums involve emotional problems?

Reactions: 11 users
You'll get into pharmacy school with a 2.1 GPA. AVG pcat score to get into schools nowadays is 20-30. Just avoid schools that have set a minimum GPA of 2.75 sGPA and 2.75 cGPA otherwise they'll throw out your application during pre-screenings. Goodluck! Also have at least a C (or C-) or higher in your pre-req classes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

But pharmacy is MY DREAM

Oh. Oh! U didn't mention that. Oh ok then, everything will be ok then. All academic blunders are forgiven. Here's some magic dust to take on your journey to pharmacy school. Godspeed.

According to this forum, you're a shoe in! Way to go man congrats! Just apply with your name and they'll take you, so I have been told...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 2.9 cGPA, 2.48 sGPA and I'm retaking my PCAT on October 24. (I did horrible my first time and I forgot to press no score). I originally was going to do dentistry but after shadowing dentists, I realized that wasn't for me. I have been an officer for national society of leadership and success, AED & Chemistry club along with working as a tutor for high school students. Do I have a chance?

Oh. Oh! U didn't mention that. Oh ok then, everything will be ok then. All academic blunders are forgiven. Here's some magic dust to take on your journey to pharmacy school. Godspeed.

Can I get some of that magic dust too?!

Hey! I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 2.9 cGPA, 2.48 sGPA and I'm retaking my PCAT on October 24. (I did horrible my first time and I forgot to press no score). I originally was going to do dentistry but after shadowing dentists, I realized that wasn't for me. I have been an officer for national society of leadership and success, AED & Chemistry club along with working as a tutor for high school students. Do I have a chance?

how'd you do on the pcat?

I have about a cGPA of 2.9 with the following PCAT breakdown:

bio 45
chem 70
CR 38
QR 82

Composite 62

I am almost about to submit my application for this cycle. How are my chances looking like and any schools in particular I should apply to?

Hello,

pharmacy school is a joke to get into. the hard part is getting a job afterwards.

Reactions: 1 users
f
But pharmacy is MY DREAM

I think it's really sad when I see pharmacy students or pharmacists on here belittling people that have a low GPA. I've seen it in this thread and in other ones too.
I will digress for a moment. The other day I went to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription for my friend. I had a question about something so I asked the tech. She flagged the pharmacist down because she didn't know the answer. He was on the phone, appearing to be on hold, but took his eyes off of the computer monitor briefly in order to glance at the tech, shift his gaze towards me, then hold up his finger, implying that I had to wait. I thought, okay, sure understandable. As most of us know, pharmacists have a busy job, of course. A few seconds later he said he didn't have time to talk to me at all, and I should go to a different pharmacy. Well, isn't that rude? I was willing to wait. Instead, he tried to pass me off to someone else and make me someone else's problem. I sensed that he wasn't very happy with his job if he didn't' want to help me, and blew me off instead. But hey, his grades were probably good, considering he probably didn't get into school using his enthusiasm since it was nonexistent.

You really should have to have a personality requirement to get into school and GPA should not be everything. You may find it hard to believe that people with low GPAs get into schools, but I find it hard to believe that people who belittle passionate undergraduate students that had hiccups along the way can get in. I'm sure it was effortless for you to get in. I'm inferring that from the fact that you're willing to go onto this website and evaluate people's academic success. Now you have a PhD or PharmD, or you were admitted to a pharm school, but you spend your time judging people over the internet, mocking hopeful students like me who spend their time desperately finding a way around their past mistakes. We do those things just to ultimately be berated by pretentious people like you. What a great way to share your expertise and put your degree and experience to good use? Everyone wants a pharmacist that has nothing better to do with their time, truly.

I've seen some that say that the industry is dying because schools let people in with low GPAs. The entire pharmaceutical industry is not ill-fated fated because a school gives students a second chance. You still have to actually pass your pharmacy school courses and get your license in order to become a pharmacist. Getting into a school does not guarantee that you will get a license, but hard work during pharmacy school will. Some of the schools with the lowest average GPA admittance have board passing rates in the 90s. A student that gets into pharmacy school with less than 3.0 GPA can still be a good pharmacist/pharmacy student. Emotional problems, family problems, or maybe just a simple failure to work hard during undergrad, which resulted in poor grades will not make someone incompetent or incapable of change.

Reactions: 4 users
f

I think it's really sad when I see pharmacy students or pharmacists on here belittling people that have a low GPA. I've seen it in this thread and in other ones too.
I will digress for a moment. The other day I went to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription for my friend. I had a question about something so I asked the tech. She flagged the pharmacist down because she didn't know the answer. He was on the phone, appearing to be on hold, but took his eyes off of the computer monitor briefly in order to glance at the tech, shift his gaze towards me, then hold up his finger, implying that I had to wait. I thought, okay, sure understandable. As most of us know, pharmacists have a busy job, of course. A few seconds later he said he didn't have time to talk to me at all, and I should go to a different pharmacy. Well, isn't that rude? I was willing to wait. Instead, he tried to pass me off to someone else and make me someone else's problem. I sensed that he wasn't very happy with his job if he didn't' want to help me, and blew me off instead. But hey, his grades were probably good, considering he probably didn't get into school using his enthusiasm since it was nonexistent.

You really should have to have a personality requirement to get into school and GPA should not be everything. You may find it hard to believe that people with low GPAs get into schools, but I find it hard to believe that people who belittle passionate undergraduate students that had hiccups along the way can get in. I'm sure it was effortless for you to get in. I'm inferring that from the fact that you're willing to go onto this website and evaluate people's academic success. Now you have a PhD or PharmD, or you were admitted to a pharm school, but you spend your time judging people over the internet, mocking hopeful students like me who spend their time desperately finding a way around their past mistakes. We do those things just to ultimately be berated by pretentious people like you. What a great way to share your expertise and put your degree and experience to good use? Everyone wants a pharmacist that has nothing better to do with their time, truly.

I've seen some that say that the industry is dying because schools let people in with low GPAs. The entire pharmaceutical industry is not ill-fated fated because a school gives students a second chance. You still have to actually pass your pharmacy school courses and get your license in order to become a pharmacist. Getting into a school does not guarantee that you will get a license, but hard work during pharmacy school will. Some of the schools with the lowest average GPA admittance have board passing rates in the 90s. A student that gets into pharmacy school with less than 3.0 GPA can still be a good pharmacist/pharmacy student. Emotional problems, family problems, or maybe just a simple failure to work hard during undergrad, which resulted in poor grades will not make someone incompetent or incapable of change.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Nor are you qualified to talk about the topic as someone not in the field.

There's a reason pharmacy schools accept people with low GPAs and in fact just about anyone with a pulse. Hint: they're not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts to give students a second chance, nor is it about accepting students with the right personality.

There's a reason pharmacy schools accept people with low GPAs and in fact just about anyone with a pulse. Hint: they're not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts to give students a second chance, nor is it about accepting students with the right personality.
Cha ching.
Such a sad world we live in...

f

pharmacy school isn't hard work. stop making stuff up

pharmacy school isn't hard work. stop making stuff up
Some say it's hard, some say it isn't lol. It's pretty subjective. If it isn't hard why are people so concerned about who gets in and seem to think that everyone is so destined to fail? Maybe it is to make themselves look better.? "Oh look what I can do. You can't though. I can."

f

Less than a 3.0, maybe, but barely above a 2.0 is a completely different ball game. There's just no way someone with a 2.1 GPA is suited for a doctorate program. In fact, someone with a 2.1 would probably be at risk of not even being able to graduate a bachelors program. I agree with your post for someone who is in the 2.7 - 2.9 range with an upward trend. But someone who is trying to earn a doctorate with a 2.1 isn't thinking rationally, and quite frankly probably lacks the emotional maturity for pharmacy school in addition to lacking the academic capacity.

Some say it's hard, some say it isn't lol. It's pretty subjective. If it isn't hard why are people so concerned about who gets in and seem to think that everyone is so destined to fail? Maybe it is to make themselves look better.? "Oh look what I can do. You can't though. I can."

EVERYONE GETS IN THAT APPLIES. literally in 2016 pharm admissions were at AN ALL TIME LOW and pharm schools are literally taking anyone with a pulse

But pharmacy is MY DREAM
Dude, you are such a prick. You are a bully and rude as hell on every thread you comment on. You bring up some good points about "reevaluation" but that is all I an agree with you on. What pharmacy school do you go to? I'm sure they are thrilled and proud that you spend your free time harassing people on the internet. Sounds like you have some reevaluating of your own to do....

Not everyone is going to be perfect and have an amazing undergrad transcript. That doesn't mean you don't have a chance to improve. Let's say you fail a class or maybe even 10. You definitely have some work ahead of you... You need to retake your classes and aim for A's. Get help if you need it, that is what your professors are getting paid for. Most universities and CCs have tutoring labs, utilize them. I know people who have gotten into pharmacy and MEDICAL school with below average/average grades. It is all about your mindset and how bad you really want it. Though, I will agree that Pharmcas can be a little discouraging. There are plenty of pharmacy schools that will look at your science and math GPA. They have their own means of calculating it regardless of what pharmcas says. Try to become a pharmacy technician while your are in school, that shows you have experience and are willing to commit. A lot of pharm students don't really know what they are getting themselves into, without any prior knowledge of the field.
You don't have to tell people what they want to hear but real failure is when you give up on what you want to do because of what irrelevant people tell you. If you don't think you can do it, you're right, you can't. With enough grit and motivation, it is very possible though. If pharmacy is what you really want to pursue, do not give up and do not let irrelevant people discourage you!

f

You're are absolutely correct. Some schools truly let people in for tuition money but that's not why every single person with a low GPA has gotten accepted. I'm so annoyed with these negative Nancies on here... chill out.

Dude, you are such a prick. You are a bully and rude as hell on every thread you comment on. You bring up some good points about "reevaluation" but that is all I an agree with you on. What pharmacy school do you go to? I'm sure they are thrilled and proud that you spend your free time harassing people on the internet. Sounds like you have some reevaluating of your own to do....

Not everyone is going to be perfect and have an amazing undergrad transcript. That doesn't mean you don't have a chance to improve. Let's say you fail a class or maybe even 10. You definitely have some work ahead of you... You need to retake your classes and aim for A's. Get help if you need it, that is what your professors are getting paid for. Most universities and CCs have tutoring labs, utilize them. I know people who have gotten into pharmacy and MEDICAL school with below average/average grades. It is all about your mindset and how bad you really want it. Though, I will agree that Pharmcas can be a little discouraging. There are plenty of pharmacy schools that will look at your science and math GPA. They have their own means of calculating it regardless of what pharmcas says. Try to become a pharmacy technician while your are in school, that shows you have experience and are willing to commit. A lot of pharm students don't really know what they are getting themselves into, without any prior knowledge of the field.
You don't have to tell people what they want to hear but real failure is when you give up on what you want to do because of what irrelevant people tell you. If you don't think you can do it, you're right, you can't. With enough grit and motivation, it is very possible though. If pharmacy is what you really want to pursue, do not give up and do not let irrelevant people discourage you!

The irony that I'm being called a prick when I get an entire wall of text of hate directed at me.

You're a special little snowflake aren't you? I hope you don't get your feelings hurt when you get a job in the real world.

You're a special little snowflake aren't you? I hope you don't get your feelings hurt when you get a job in the real world.

Stop being such a Negative Nancy already. Patients, doctors, and nurses are all very appreciate of the work you do and the advice you give, you know. Pharmacy schools are very understanding of your struggles and will always give you second, third, or even fourth chances if you struggle and fail classes. Even if you can't find a job to pay off your debt, you can always ask the government for forgiveness. gurl deserves a participation trophy just for trying hard and applying to pharmacy school!

Stop being such a Negative Nancy already. Patients, doctors, and nurses are all very appreciate of the work you do and the advice you give, you know. Pharmacy schools are very understanding of your struggles and will always give you second, third, or even fourth chances if you struggle and fail classes. Even if you can't find a job to pay off your debt, you can always ask the government for forgiveness.
Lol. I was responding to the pre-pharm using an ad-hominem attack. Did you read the post I was responding to?

Hey Stoichiometrist, did you get your account hijacked? There's no mention of going to coding bootcamp, so I'm thinking someone has stolen your password and is using your account without your consent.

Lol. I was responding to the pre-pharm using an ad-hominem attack. Did you read the post I was responding to?

I did read it, but I couldn't help but write a sarcastic comment to make fun of the pre-pharm(s).

Hey Stoichiometrist, did you get your account hijacked? There's no mention of going to coding bootcamp, so I'm thinking someone has stolen your password and is using your account without your consent.

No, I had a complete change of heart about the profession after some soul searching. Everyone to pharmacy!

No, I had a complete change of heart about the profession after some soul searching. Everyone to pharmacy!

So you had a complete change of heart after making this comment a week ago:
Hell no

1) Terrible job market that gets worse each year as more schools open
2) $200k+ in loans
3) Terrible work-life balance and high-stress work environments for the lucky ones who actually land a job

There are much better options out there, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, physician assistant, etc. that require less loans, provide better job security, are less stressful, and pay just as well if not better than pharmacy, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years in school.

Are you really Stoichimetrist? Or are you some random dude who stole his phone?

At least I don't have to see the same post about "go to coding bootcamp" from your account anymore.

Bruh I just graduated with two degrees, heading to pharm school at UT in the fall and work under a health and wellness director at Walmart. My point is that if you want to do something in life and have a passion for it, it is not impossible. People probably already feel bad and stressed, why go out of your way to make them feel worse

Last edited:
Bruh I just graduated with two degrees, heading to pharm school at UT in the fall and work under a health and wellness director at Walmart. My point is that if you want to do something in life and have a passion for it, it is not impossible. People probably already feel bad and stressed, why go out of your way to make them feel worse

You ever stop and think how it may devalue what some of us worked very hard for? I would like to think all my hard work and sacrifice that allowed me to get a 4.0 and get into my first choice pharmacy school, graduate with a doctorate, and find a respected job was worth it.

Now, since anyone can do it it means ****. You begin to lose respect for the position. 2.0 GPA? Come on down! Can't pass classes? Choose pharmacy! Want ridiculously easy board exams? Then pharmacy is for you! Act fast because spots are filling up quick!..... just kidding! We'll be opening up a new school just for you!!!!

Is that really how you want pharmacists and pharmacy schools to be viewed?

Nobody is intentionally making you feel worse. We're just reminding you of the realities of the real world - that is no one really cares if you're feeling bad or stressed or that you tried hard and still didn't end up with the GPA you want. It's not going to stop pharmacy schools from failing you out during your fourth year right before graduation or people being rude and nasty to you just because they can, nor is it going to make your $200k+ loans go away.

Hello,

The best advice that I can give is to continue to work hard. I struggled in my Junior and Senior year of undergrad. I graduated with my Bachelors of Science with a 2.5 in 2013. I knew that I wanted to go to Pharmacy school, so I had to do some more work. I went ahead and pursued my Masters in 2015. I graduated with a 3.60 GPA. I truly have been my worst enemy. If you want something you have to put in work to get it. Therefore, I knew after about two years that I wanted to still be a pharmacist so I am currently seeking a Biology Graduate certificate so that some of the courses that I did not do well in during my undergrad, I am revisiting them now and I am doing well. I am not going to bash you because I know how it feels to not be exactly where you want to be. Keep pushing and praying and God will give you the answer you need. I know this is a old post, so did you get in.

Hello,

Hey, where are you now? Were you able to gain entry?

Hello,

You will get into most pharmacy schools. The schools are facing low demand and they are taking nearly anyone with a pulse. I know of someone with a 2.4 that had no issues at all getting into multiple schools. Make sure your personal statement is written to fit your narrative.

Why are people acting like it’s competitive? Lol

They want to believe that there is more to their qualifications other than being able to sigh for $200k+ in student loans.

Last edited: