Bad uGPA pre-Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMBand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Last year I decided to leave behind a career in as a database analyst and pursue a dream to go to med school. I am extremely insecure about my undergrad GPA, however, and I know that my only shot would be a Caribbean or otherwise non-US school at this point. I got a BA in Computer Science and a BA in Economics from Emory University.

My "Stats": overall GPA = 2.98. My Comp Sci was a 2.88 and My Econ major was like a 3.35. I demonstrated upward trending in grades in Junior and Senior year, at least. I also have 300+ hours (and counting) of major clinical and hands-on patient experience in a regional ER (Level II Trauma center), and have shadowing lined up as well as a surgical externship/observership for later this year. (I have not taken the MCAT yet.)

I have not taken any of the core sciences except for Biology (which was way long ago and I only got a B in it, so I want to repeat it). Therefore, I am on track for applying to a post-bacc program, but I am still hesitant to apply anywhere because my GPA doesn't even meet the 3.0 minimums of most post-baccs.

Before I even apply to a formal post bacc, I am thinking of taking Biol 1 and Chem 1 independently this Fall (and possibly continuing with Biol 2 and Chem 2 in the Spring) at my local state university branch. The reason for this is so I can at least a) put my GPA over 3.0 and b) knock out some of the post bacc reqs so I don't have to spend forever in post bacc school.

Do I have any chance of getting into a Post-Bacc NOW with my current standing, or should I proceed with the plan of beginning my prerequisite classes on my own independently prior to applying to a formal program?

I know I'm not in a great position, so please don't reply that I have no chance... I'm more driven than ever to make this happen now, so there must be a way yet. Please let me know what you think my best course of action should be!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to "test the waters" academically, so to speak, by taking some science classes independently and raise your GPAs. I am not an expert on formal postbac programs, but there is a huge store of information about them available on SDN's Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum further down on the list of available forums. The advantage of not going directly into a formal program is that you can adjust to the study style needed to get great grades before you get involved in a set, intense classload as required by a program.

Yeah I saw that forum. But I also thought it deserved a shot on "What Are My Chances" (with respect to getting into a post-bacc). :)

I'm new to SDN. Can I repost this thread on the Post Bacc Forum also?