Medical Bad undergraduate and science GPA. What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I understand I am in a pretty horrible place right now and I've really been searching around how to dig myself out of this hole, which I know I can. I am just pretty lost on things I should be doing, as well as being realistic with my chances of every attending medical school, which is something I have yearned about. A little background info, I'm a URM low SES from CA and attended an ivy league school. Didn't really know how to study, didn't ask for help, and have horrible exam anxiety.

Freshman - cum GPA: 2.364 // cum sGPA: 1.796
Sophomore - cum GPA: 2.711 // cum sGPA: 2.680
Junior - cum GPA: 2.696 // cum sGPA: 2.534
Senior - cum GPA: 2.792 // cum sGPA: 2.681

The GPA's by quarter have shown slight upward trend, but I do not think it's enough to be of significance. During undergrad I had no research experience outside of what was required in my lab classes. Only EC I was involved in was a club sports team that I was a part of all 4 years. Wasn't till my junior year I found a major I liked and my major GPA is much higher than my cumulative and science GPA and it was then when my study habits improved, but not as much as I'd hoped. I was a physics tutor for 2 years and orgo tutor for 1 year. I also TA'd a gen chem lab class where I just helped students with the experiments and graded their work.

I graduated this past June and since then I have been working FT as a medical scribe (~600 hours so far), volunteering in the ER (~15 hours so far) and Palliative Care (~3 hours so far), and shadowing a cardiac surgeon (~4 hours so far). That's pretty much the extent of my clinical experience. I did not do any during undergrad and just started this year. What my tentative plan is to finish this year scribing/volunteering then doing a DIY post bacc to get my cumulative and science GPA up to at least a 3.0 My first concern is whether or not it matters if its at a CC vs 4 year, as cost is a huge factor here. Or maybe a structured post bacc would help me more? This would take about 2 years after which I would apply to an SMP. So I'd have to take the MCAT, but I feel I need more foundation with my science classes, but I have considered taking it in April 2020. I plan on continuing to volunteer/ scribe (PT after this year).

I know this seems grim and hopeless but I know this is what I want to do and any advice will be helpful. Are MD's completely out? I am also open to DO but would prefer MD or DO over anything else at the moment.

Thanks
Read this.

Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.