bad verbal score and acceptance??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bpvm99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently took the August MCAT and was shocked to find that I only got a 6 on my vr section. Then, I found out alot of other people scored low there too. I for one found that taking a section at 8 in the morning and feeling rushed with time was a downfall. However, I scored 10s on the physical sciences and biological sciences. Will this score affect my ability to get i n?? Do they really look at verbal reasoining??

------------------

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, unfortunately they DO look at the VR section...and many schools flat out refuse scores below 7 in any section. If your overall score is fairly decent, you may want to contact the schools you've applied to a speak with them personally before wasting anymore money on secondaries (assuming you haven't already). I wish you the best of luck...I know many people struggle with VR!

bpvm99,

I was in the same boat as you this year. I've take the MCAT 3 times and scored a 6, 7, and 6 on the verbal sections. I just can not read fast enought to finish the passages. I always end up with 2 left when the proctor calls 5 minutes.

Anyway, the last 2 times I took the test I scored 10's on both the physical and biological sections. I've applied to 14 schools this year, sent in 13 secondaries, have had one interview and one acceptance, so it can be done. You just have to want it bad enough.

I don't want to mention the school but I was extremely surprised when I received the invitation to interview there. The school's averages are as follows:

CGPA: 3.55
SGPA: 3.54
V: 10.0
P: 10.2
B: 10.5

So as you can see it is not always the scores that get you in. They seemed to have picked something else that they liked about my application and were able to overlook the 6 in verbal.

Good luck to you...

[This message has been edited by Zero Cool (edited 11-05-2000).]