Balance of Prestige and Lifestyle for Ortho program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonemann

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know we are all supposed to pretend that we don't have these things, but I have a serious question about what ortho residency programs have a good mixture of name recognition, solid, fairly high volume training, and that treat their residents like humans.
Any programs close to this that exist, particularly on the West coast?

Members don't see this ad.

Not an ortho doc/resident...

But I know personally that residents and former grads speak well of Medical College of Wisconsin.

Members don't see this ad :)
UF. Vermont. Geisinger. Also anywhere the residents are allowed to take call from home as seniors (during or after PGY3). Usually that implies a somewhat chill atmosphere.

This issue with home call though is that you are not required to get a post-call day off...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
@OrthoTraumaMD
When considering residencies, how much stock should I put into the general sense that many big name residencies (Harborview, HSS, even Stanford) have many fellows who do a lot of the surgeries which negatively impacts the training of residents?
I hear that thrown around about a lot of top programs and was wondering if that's actually a reason to avoid.

@OrthoTraumaMD
When considering residencies, how much stock should I put into the general sense that many big name residencies (Harborview, HSS, even Stanford) have many fellows who do a lot of the surgeries which negatively impacts the training of residents?
I hear that thrown around about a lot of top programs and was wondering if that's actually a reason to avoid.

I address this in my AMA thread. I would stay away from places with many fellows who will compete with you for cases.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@OrthoTraumaMD

The purpose of going to a big name residency is to do research and network so you can get that big name fellowship and go on to be a department head/leader in your field.