Balance school, family, and the military?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreeSpirit2528

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been debating on medical school for awhile now. I have a strong interest and passion for medicine but not 100% sure if there will ever be a good time for medical school. I am married and my husband is in the military so with moving around it doesn't leave me with many options as far as where I can go to school. Also the fact that we would like kids soon since I graduated college a couple years ago and I would be a non traditional medical student. I would not like to wait too long to have a family because then it might be too late. Is it possible to have kids while in medical school and have a spouse in the military?

Members don't see this ad.

I know many medical/dental/veterinary students that have spouses/kids and a significant other in the military so yes it is possible. That's the wrong question though. The right question is are you (and your spouse) willing to work through the challenges that come with being a medical student with a child? Who will be the primary care giver for the child? Where will the child go during 8-5 class days? Who will care for the child while you need to study? Additionally, with a spouse in the military, what happens if/when he gets a promotion or stationed in another city/country? Will you drop out of school? Will he turn down the promotion or be able to request to stay? Would you be able to endure living separately for a year or more? What about when you get to a residency program?

Anything is possible but you need to focus on what is possible for you and your partner...

I have been debating on medical school for awhile now. I have a strong interest and passion for medicine but not 100% sure if there will ever be a good time for medical school. I am married and my husband is in the military so with moving around it doesn't leave me with many options as far as where I can go to school. Also the fact that we would like kids soon since I graduated college a couple years ago and I would be a non traditional medical student. I would not like to wait too long to have a family because then it might be too late. Is it possible to have kids while in medical school and have a spouse in the military?

What branch is he in, where are you stationed, and when does he get out? BLUF unless you both are good with him being a geobachelor while you head elsewhere for schools it's gonna be rough. As long as he's still in since most military bases are in the middle of nowhere making it less than conducive to having many interests outside of making babies and/or getting a job that you're not really committed to since most orders are for only two to three years before having to move to go somewhere else - unless his MOS is a homestead-able thing where they can leave you where you're at as long as he wants and still get promoted with his peers. The military is universally considered a crap deal for the wives, which is why they have so many programs and activities. The mil looks at wives/families through pretty much the same lens as they did in the 50's.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is why a lot of mil wives get real estate licenses....

Yes, it is possible. I personally know military families who have done and who are doing it right now. Now may not be the ideal time, but unless you're straight out of undergrad with no debt and no major responsibilities there probably won't ever be an ideal time. If this is what you want, you can make it happen.