Balancing Parenting and Grad School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychmama

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. A number of you have indicated interest in discussing the challenges and rewards of being a parent while in graduate school. I thought I'd start a thread devoted to that. Feel free to share tips, concerns, questions, stories, etc. We all can use support as we go through this process! Parents of babies, toddlers, school-age kids, teens, young adults are all welcome -- also pre-parents and anyone else who's interested!:)

P.S. - I have three children ranging in age from 16 to 9. They are probably used to having a grad student parent by now, but it continues to be a challenge sometimes. Most difficult for me? Possibly wearing the confident, authoritative "parent" hat while feeling like a beginner in my career (and often being treated that way). Biggest reward? Probably knowing that no matter how I do as a psychologist, my greatest accomplishment and source of joy is my family.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. A number of you have indicated interest in discussing the challenges and rewards of being a parent while in graduate school. I thought I'd start a thread devoted to that. Feel free to share tips, concerns, questions, stories, etc. We all can use support as we go through this process! Parents of babies, toddlers, school-age kids, teens, young adults are all welcome -- also pre-parents and anyone else who's interested!:)

P.S. - I have three children ranging in age from 16 to 9. They are probably used to having a grad student parent by now, but it continues to be a challenge sometimes. Most difficult for me? Possibly wearing the confident, authoritative "parent" hat while feeling like a beginner in my career (and often being treated that way). Biggest reward? Probably knowing that no matter how I do as a psychologist, my greatest accomplishment and source of joy is my family.

:hello: Hi,

Hmmm... parenting and grad school, eh? So far I've been pretty lucky since my kids are a bit older. I got 5 kids, ages 22, 19, 17, 15, and 13. They are perfectly okay throwing something in the oven or getting an older sib to help with homework when I am not around. I have much admiration for those of you doing grad school with babies and toddlers!

Excellent question, and I'm interested too. My kids are similar in ages to yours. I have three also, ages 11, 14, and 17.

My husband has had to pick up a lot of the slack. I went from being a stay at home mom, homeschooling; through being a workaholic, and workaholic + grad school. I guess it wasn't too sudden of a switch. I remember having a daily routine with the kids and lessons and going to homeschool group activities, then I had a mental health crisis which lead to deciding that I needed to go back to school. There was a year that I had my daughters read my text books out loud while I was driving them around to activities - they at least got reading practice, whether or not they got anything out of my books, and I was able to multi-task and drive them to dance lessons and activities and things. When I started working, I worked nights and weekends at first, so that I could still be home with the kids during the day (that was a year off from school for me). Then my younger two kids went back to public school, my older one became more independent and she was enrolled in an online school, and I added another job, and then started my master's program. I made a point to take my daughter (the oldest, who was still homeschooled) to university-sponsored lectures that were open to the public, to spend time with her and supplement her education. She was 13-14 at that point.

Eventually, my school, plus a full-time day job, plus internship too took over my life and I lost balance and couldn't keep up with all of that, let alone parenting. I was only home pretty much to sleep, and that was when my husband really had to fill in. The kids had learned to cook for themselves by that time, and all of them were in public school. Maybe there are times when that's how life goes, but I think maybe I could have balanced better. I wanted to cut back on work, but my employer didn't allow it until eventually I lost my job. Now I'm finished with my master's degree and only working part-time. Temporarily, I'm not even working, because I was able to work as a student intern before graduating and now that I'm no longer a student I have to wait for my license. So I'm trying to make up for lost time by spending more time with the kids now.

Some things probably could have improved my balance when I had no time and was struggling with being overworked. We all still need to eat, exercise, have some recreation, self-care, etc., right? So what about planning some of those activities around the kids' interests and spending the time with them, at least some of the time. But on a regular schedule. I have now signed up for community education exercise classes, craft classes, and similar things, with my kids, so that I have the commitment to follow through. I could probably have fit that in before, too. And then it might have been easier to say no to things that come up and steal time that was intended to be family and personal time, because I could have truthfully said "I have to go to class." Or make an appointment with one of the kids to do something with them, and then say "I have an appointment."

I have also thought about having my oldest apply to an undergrad program at the same places where I'm interested in doctoral programs. If it's local, maybe we could commute together. If further away, maybe daughter and I could go away to school together. She might go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psychomama,

I am barely up yet ( My kids woke me up early!!) but wanted to say thanks for starting this thread! I do appreciate it.

I have two children ( who ofren feel like five...) ages 13 and 3 going on 4. The age difference can at times be tough but is sometimes an asset, as my older can help with the younger one on the weekend. ( During the week, he is in school all day and by the time he comes home, she is ready to go to sleep).

When I started a Phd program this past fall, I was unprepared for the challanges that combining parenting with schooling would present. I did my BA and MA with one child who had many special needs at the time, so I did not think handling two would make such a big differences. It did.

My younger one just started nursery this year and kept getting sick all the time. I would be up with her at night, rather than studying and then would have to function the next day, which was very hard. Although I did very well in my classes ( 3.85 gpa) and made some nice friends, it came at a cost.

I was constantly run down and irritable due to lack of sleep. Although my older one is doing much better now than he did when he was younger, he is still on a special diet, which means I have to cook almost daily. Pizza is not an option, and most fast-foods are out.

My husband did help a lot while I was in school and was very understanding but I do not know that he could do this for five/ six years. His own work was compromised, since he had to be home early for the younger one and take over many of my previous responsibilities.

The only other mother I've encountered in my program had a full-time nanny who took care of the kids while she was in school. We cannot afford a nanny or even external help with someone to come clean the house etc. and don't have much family around who can help.

I have always been good at school but all the above make me feel discouraged at times and wonder if my dream for going for a PhD / PsyD is realistic at all, and if I do make this deam come true, can my health be sustained and my family remain intact...

Compassionate1

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm applying this year for behavioral neuroscience programs studying psychopharmacology and memory, and I have a 3 1/2 year old (who will be turning 5 at my time of entry - fall 2010). I may or may not be a single parent at the time school starts, things are sort of up in the air, so I'm trying to read up everywhere I can about how to figure out the balancing act of doctoral program + kid. I was bummed to find out that she misses the cut-off for kindergarten by a few weeks; I was originally hoping she'd be able to start f/t kindergarten the year I started grad., but with the cut off she won't be able to start until she's almost turning 6 (that seems really late to me, I was 4 going on 5 when I started kindergarten). So I guess she'd be going into a full-time pre-k program.

A lot of the larger schools I'm applying to (UMD, UWisc-Madison, etc.) have on-site programs, which will probably make it easier. I'm stressing about the after-hours stuff - what if I have to stay at the lab. past 5pm, how will I get my work done while she's at home (for undergrad., I usually wait until she's asleep! Or I come home early from my internship and keep her in daycare for a few extra hours to study). I guess things will roll out as they're supposed to. I'm contemplating taking the fall 2009 and spring 2010 off from internships entirely, and just finish up school (will graduate spring 2010) so I can spend as much time with my daughter as possible before starting grad. school.

Any thoughts on single parenting in grad. school, anyone?

I'm struck by how many of us are trying to juggle school and kids. When I started grad school, I don't think I realized just how often I'd be away from home in the afternoons and evenings -- first with classes and later with clinical work. Fortunately, my husband works at home, which helps a lot. He gets the job of doing afternoon carpooling, activities and homework supervision on the majority of days. I usually try to plan one day a week when I can be home early (usually friday). On that day I do those parental things and give him more of a break. On the weekends I try not to plan school-related things too often. I've had to miss some social events with classmates, as well as some conferences and special events, because of this choice. Overall though, it has worked out to be a smart decision. The weekends are almost always protected "family time."

Dealing with feelings of guilt has been a challenge. When my husband rightfully grumbles about having to do so much, I sometimes feel a need to defend myself and attack him. I've come to realize this is motivated by my guilt about not being a stay at home mom, and my worry that I'll be seen as selfish for going back to school. Lately I'm trying to curb this. It does nobody any good; I just try to tell my husband "thanks" and let it go at that.

Before grad school I was home full-time for a few years, and very involved in PTA, kids activities, volunteering. It was hard at first to accept that I needed to say no to most of those things when I was in school full-time. I still worry that I'm not as up on the news about what's going on with my kids at school. I try to catch up as best I can at whatever sports events, concerts, school events I'm able to attend.

Another challenge has been figuring out meals. Mornings are rushed -- usually consisting of cereal or breakfast bars, or a frozen waffle eaten in he car. I used to make all three kids' lunches. About 2 yrs ago I told the kids they were going on the lunch plan at school. It's more $, but the time saved is worth it to me. Dinner is sometimes tough. I make dinner on the weekends and usually one additional night per week. My husband is not a natural cook. At first he was stumped about what to make, but now he has a small repertoire of easy kid-friendly dishes that he rotates on the nights I'm home late. Standbys for us include low-fat chicken tenders, oven fries, applesauce, and some veggie; also popular is soup and salad, mac and cheese, spaghetti with pre-made frozen meatballs. Takeout pizza is usually on the menu at least once a week. Also good are Asian noodle mixes and similar items that the older child can make on his own on the way to sports practice, band rehearsal, etc. Sometimes I make soup or an extra entree like pot roast on the weekend, and we heat this up during the week for an easy meal.

Because of my husband, as well as the ages of our kids, it's a bit easier when someone is sick and needs to stay home from school. Also, the older two can be home alone and sometimes must babysit the younger one if my husband or I have to be somewhere after school. I do sometimes rely on friends and neighbors for rides to things for my kids. However, I try to keep this to a minimum in order to avoid being that annoying mom who imposes on others.:laugh:

Regarding health -- the most important thing I've learned is to get enough sleep! Even if this means missing an hour of late-night TV watching or study-time, I try not to push my limits too much. I get sick when I'm over-tired. Also, I use Zicam spray at the first sign that I'm coming down with a cold. It seems to lessen symptom severity and duration for me.

Any more thoughts? Suggestions? Concerns?;)

I'm planning on starting grad school this fall and thinking about how my world will turn upside down. I have a 3 and a 6 y/o. Up until now, I've been taking just 2-3 courses a semester as a part-time student but I'm slowly beginning to prepare mentally for full-time studies in a clinical program.

If I get into my top choice school, I plan on moving there and staying there 5 days a week (M-F) and have hubby and kids come to visit twice during the week. Husband can't move because of work and he needs to be near my business during the week. The school is an 1 hour and 15 minutes away from my home but I cannot afford to waste at least 10 hours commuting each week. Winters can be treacherous. When they visit, I promised not to do any school work so I can be with them 100%.

I'm also lucky I have both my and his parents who practically raised the kids--we're both self-employed and have relied on my parents for child-care since my first born. I'm planning on having my youngest son stay with me one day (e.g., Friday--I'll put him day care during the day) and bringing him home on the weekends to be with them...So it'll 2 alternate days during the week (e.g., Monday and Wednesday) when I don't see them. Does that sound crazy and totally selfish? Is it bad idea to separate the family like this?

We are making a huge sacrifice for my education. IN return, I told him the husband he can retire early, when I graduate. :rolleyes:

I'm planning on starting grad school this fall and thinking about how my world will turn upside down. I have a 3 and a 6 y/o. Up until now, I've been taking just 2-3 courses a semester as a part-time student but I'm slowly beginning to prepare mentally for full-time studies in a clinical program.

If I get into my top choice school, I plan on moving there and staying there 5 days a week (M-F) and have hubby and kids come to visit twice during the week. Husband can't move because of work and he needs to be near my business during the week. The school is an 1 hour and 15 minutes away from my home but I cannot afford to waste at least 10 hours commuting each week. Winters can be treacherous. When they visit, I promised not to do any school work so I can be with them 100%.

I'm also lucky I have both my and his parents who practically raised the kids--we're both self-employed and have relied on my parents for child-care since my first born. I'm planning on having my youngest son stay with me one day (e.g., Friday--I'll put him day care during the day) and bringing him home on the weekends to be with them...So it'll 2 alternate days during the week (e.g., Monday and Wednesday) when I don't see them. Does that sound crazy and totally selfish? Is it bad idea to separate the family like this?

We are making a huge sacrifice for my education. IN return, I told him the husband he can retire early, when I graduate. :rolleyes:

Dear psychgrad,
Please note that I feel strongly about this issue, so if this may potentially cause a cognitive dissonance, please feel free to skip my post.

While every family is different in terms of structure, dynamics, resiliency and many other factors, IMHO, living away from core family while in school can prove to be problematic.

Personally -- I would not do it. I think it can be very taxing on the marriage as well as the children. Yes, an hour and fifteen minutes is certainly a commute but people do it all the time to get to work and school. Obviously, if severe weather does not allow for safe driving, and public transportation is not feasible, I would stay with friends for the night, but not as a permanent solution.

Having parents and in-laws around who are able and willing to help out with the children is a wonderful asset but your children are still your children. With so much help from family, it may be possible to go to a nearby library, or some other quiet study location; knowing that your children are well cared for. Even if your kids are sleeping when you come back home and you don't think it makes a difference whether you reside at home or not -- it does! Your kids will have the security of knowing that you are around, and that they can get a good morning hug from you upon waking up. Hugs are kind of hard to transmit over the wires!

The idea of having the family come to visit twice a week, when you will all spend quality time together, may sound nice in theory. In reality, you may have an important exam the next day and your husband may grow weary and resentful of not getting enough quality time with you alone, and of frequent back and forth traveling with two young children, who as young children tend to do -- may get cranky, tired and develop colds, especially in the winter.

As for your husband being able to retire once you graduate: that may be wishful thinking again... Obviously, we all need to make a living, and hopefully long years in school and hard work will get us closer to that end. But it does take time to establish oneself as a psychologist and not everyone makes the big bucks right away.

Please know that I am not judging you and that my purpose is not to discourage you in any way but just to perhaps consider this from another point of view.

I know that next year i may be in the same shoes, hopefully having to decide between accepting offers -- some from OK local programs, and perhaps some from top schools -- that are further away.

I hope and pray that I will make the right decision -- for both me and my family....

Kinds Regards,

Compassionate1

Hi. I wanted to say that I've been doing the 75 minute commute back and forth from home and school for 5 yrs now. Yes, it's a pain, but it's doable. I also think that there are advantages to this over relocating away from core family. Even if I just spend a few hours a day with my husband and kids, it's an investment I make so that they know I'm there for them as much as possible. One difference may be that my kids are older and in school. The part-time option would not work for our family, and it might have been different when they were little and less rooted in our community and home. Anyway - just know that the commuting thing is possible. It's actually been a good opportunity for me to have some "alone time" to decompress after leaving school and rejoining the demands of the family routine. There's always music and books on CD to pass the time.:)

Great idea, psychmama. I'm considering a PsyD program this fall. My daughter will be nearly 2 when I start. I'm hoping she will begin sleeping by then... My husband travels extensively, so it will be interesting to see how we balance this. One of my chief motivations is to design a career around my daughter's schedule so I can spend more time with her when she is older.

I have the same reservations. I commuted just over an hour each way for undergrad. It wasn't my favorite part of undergrad, but it was totally feasible. I apologize in advance if this comes across as too harsh; my children would feel abandoned & resentful if I moved into a different home, regardless of the circumstances or arrangements. (The same would be true if my husband were to do that.) Make this decision cautiously.

P.S. I should also say that most programs (teachers, advisors, peers) are sympathetic about commutes. When we've had nasty weather here, people have often said, "Oh, you live in x? Well, I understand if you can't make it." Grad school is much more personal/intimate than undergrad.

Last edited:
I'm not offended at all by these comments--I'm glad to have heard them before making such a drastic move. Hubby and I really need to talk about it some more and figure out what's best for the family. He is really reluctant of moving the whole family (in case grad school doesn't work out) so I may have to commute for one year to see how things work out.

--I was joking about the retiring bit...although technically I'm not going to graduate school in order to make a ton of money after I graduate--getting a Ph.D was something I've always wanted to do. As well I love research and want to satisfy my intellectual curiosity. Besides, the information on the "salary" thread on this forum is somewhat depressing--most psychologists ONLY start at $80K/year.

Thanks all!

Psychgrad: I am glad you were not offended. I was concerned that perhaps my post was too harsh... and yet, reality can be much harsher than a post... Please know that I spent a long time thinking about it and composing that post ( I am not a native speaker) but felt compelled to respond. I trust that you will be making this decision as a family. But here, this is exactly what this space was created for: to air out our thoughts, see what they look like on the screen once we conjured them into semi-existence and get some feedback from others, in the process. Good luck!

Glasscandie: I feel for you. It must be so hard to have to be in the process of applying for programs, when there is so much uncertainty in your life going on.... You are very brave but please take good care of yourself and reach out for support from family and friends. Personally, i think I would take a break from school, to figure out things first and recuperate. ( Either doing the necessary work to stay in a relationship or letting go of it can take up a lot of energy.) Best of luck and kindest regards.

Psychmama: You sound so easy-going and your life sounds well balanced. If I may ask: when do you study for classes and for exams? To me it feels like such a challenge ! ( organization is my weakest link I admit... and I am quite slow in the mundane world and tire easily. Maybe not a PhD material? :confused: I did have a 4.00 GPA in my MA program, and quite a bit was going wrong in my world then, and yet.... I honestly don't know how I've done it, or whether it could be replicated...)

Compassionate1

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also thought about possibilities like staying at school M-F and going home on weekends. If I got accepted to any of the psychology programs in my state, the commute would be at least half an hour under ideal conditions and up to an hour and a half on a regular basis for the programs that are not quite as close. There is a train available, and also since we moved here two years ago, I have commuted at least half an hour each way for work, sometimes with work and school and internship sites all in opposite directions. I have gotten used to listening to audiobooks while I drive. One psych program is on the other side of a canyon which is quite teacherous in winter, and there is no train that goes there. It is about an hour away if the roads are good. I think I would at least need to have someone I could stay with in case of late nights, early mornings, and bad weather, if I went there. I have relatives near the other schools that I could stay with occasionally, but not near this one, so I would have to hope to make friends with someone, I guess, or have a room somewhere that I could use as needed.

One of the reasons my husband took the job he has now and we moved where we are now was so that those schools would be within reach, as there were no graduate schools at all within commuting distance from the places where we lived before. The program where I started my master's degree was partially on-line, for the first several classes, anyway.

I can see the appeal in programs like Fielding that have classes online and meet several times per year for residency requirements and some face to face instruction. If only it weren't so expensive. Maybe some day there will be more accredited programs that follow that model, and the price will come down, and they will become more accepted.

Great idea, psychmama. I'm considering a PsyD program this fall. My daughter will be nearly 2 when I start. I'm hoping she will begin sleeping by then... My husband travels extensively, so it will be interesting to see how we balance this. One of my chief motivations is to design a career around my daughter's schedule so I can spend more time with her when she is older.
Please keep me updated, as I am in a similar situation. My son just turned 1 last month, and am awaiting news of acceptance/rejection to a couple schools. My major concerns revolve around balancing my new family and school.

I will be paying attention to this thread as we are planning a family in the near future but concerned about balance. Planned entry is Fall 2010

Hello to all you future or current moms who are in or planning to be in a doctoral program.

Search the past threads because there has been several threads on particular circumstances regarding balancing children and doctoral studies. (You can search my posts because I usually respond to those threads.) :)

I'm in a clinical psychology PhD program and I have 3 kids (ages 6 mos to 5 yrs). My life is intense (which explains why I'm doing work at 12:30am on a Saturday night), but I find it extremely rewarding and wouldn't change a thing (except an improvement on the current recession). I have a lot of help and couldn't do any of this without that support. I feel that my children will benefit in the long run from my personal and professional development, which is tough sometimes (especially when I have to say bye-bye some mornings and not return until the evening when they are sound asleep). However, those long days (away) are not always, and I relish the time I spend with them. I've accepted that I have to put all my work aside and study when they are sleeping or when my husband has the time to give them one on one attention.

psychmama, I appreciate your dinner tips. The only quick tips I have to offer is buy in bulk (if you can) and do your best to stay organized. I couldn't function if my house wasn't organized...it may not always be tidy, but it's organized. Also, it's helpful to get those canvas closet organizers (w/ at least 5 cubbies)- my kids & I pick our their clothes for the week and place them in a cubby for each day of the week. This way we don't have to think about what they will wear in the morning. (Come to think of it, maybe I should do this for myself!)

Good luck to all out there. :luck: We're all Wonder Women...I sure wish I had her magic lasso and invisible jet...they would come in handy. ;)

Last edited:
Cheetah Girl - Great idea about the closet organizers! I should mention that my youngest attends a school with a uniform, which makes the morning dressing routine go much more smoothly. :D She's not wild about it, but it has been great for me!

For those incoming/applying parents:
I suggest that you consider carefully whether or not to reveal that you are a parent before an offer. I didn't realize (when I was applying) that this was a concern & talked openly about being a parent. After I was admitted, I found out that I was in danger of being passed over, BECAUSE I was a parent. (There were concerns about whether or not I'd serve the program well with the "distraction" of a family.) Ultimately, some ethical (& law abiding) people stood up for me & swung the pendulum in my favor. I'm learning that this is a common concern though. When I was venting to my peers about it, they actually agreed with the nay-sayers & tried to convince me that I would NOT choose a parent if all else was equal to a non-parent (after which we discussed how this wouldn't be as true if the parent was a male, since many still assume that the woman will be the primary caregiver). In that conversation, one of my peers revealed to me that some people even hide having a significant other pre-offer, so there are no concerns that that person will be a distraction. Anyway...I did get in, but learning about this has made me pretty angry about this illegal, unethical conundrum. So, be careful.

For those incoming/applying parents:
I suggest that you consider carefully whether or not to reveal that you are a parent before an offer. I didn't realize (when I was applying) that this was a concern & talked openly about being a parent. After I was admitted, I found out that I was in danger of being passed over, BECAUSE I was a parent. (There were concerns about whether or not I'd serve the program well with the "distraction" of a family.) Ultimately, some ethical (& law abiding) people stood up for me & swung the pendulum in my favor. I'm learning that this is a common concern though. When I was venting to my peers about it, they actually agreed with the nay-sayers & tried to convince me that I would NOT choose a parent if all else was equal to a non-parent (after which we discussed how this wouldn't be as true if the parent was a male, since many still assume that the woman will be the primary caregiver). In that conversation, one of my peers revealed to me that some people even hide having a significant other pre-offer, so there are no concerns that that person will be a distraction. Anyway...I did get in, but learning about this has made me pretty angry about this illegal, unethical conundrum. So, be careful.

I faced this sort of prejudice as well. I chose to disclose being a parent, then made clear that I was fully prepared to meet the demand of grad school nothwithstanding. On reflection, there may have been one or two programs that judged me negatively for this. Luckily, I ended up at a school that seemed fine with my parent status, even welcoming it. I might have been better off not mentioning it, but that's just not me. But I do think that if you disclose the fact that you have children, you want to think carefully in advance about how you'll convey your commitment to full-time graduate work (i.e., that you've thought through the practical aspects of juggling family obligations).

Thank you for having this conversation. I have a 6-month-old, and I was hoping to go to grad school next fall. However, since the application process this year did not go too well, I have been weighing my options and thinking about re-applying next year. But with what many of you are saying about the demands of combining grad school and family, I am now reconsidering this plan... It seems harder than I imagined, and I might not be willing to make the (family) sacrifices it would require.

Also, I mentioned the baby in the few interviews I got (I felt I had no other choice, as all interviewers naturally wanted to know what I have been doing for the past 6 months), and got some less than enthousiastic reactions. However, the programs I did get into (no Clinical PhD's though... hmm....) did not view it negatively. And many of my former profs also made the point that working with someone for 6-7 years is not so great if they are not willing to be understanding of personal circumstances.

Ulla,

Unfortunately, some take the view that women with children are less serious about their education and career, even in this day and age. One thing I pointed out was how being a parent actually has taught me to be more organized, disciplined and mature about my responsibilities. No one is better at time management than a parent of young kids. ;)

Best of luck with your future plans!

I am a married first-year PhD student and am repeatedly appalled at the negative reactions regarding parenthood while in grad school (e.g. a prof pointing out someone at school who is pregnant and nodded his head disapprovingly and mentioned it is a bad idea in a lecture!!!). It is a unique issue that women (primarily) must deal with, and I personally find it important to consider fertility and age issues even when in grad school. Furthermore, some people have religious ideologies that prevent them from being on birth control at all or for an extended period of time. I can't help feeling that these negative reactions are sexist and/or prejudice. It is so unfortunate that people are so critical of such important, personal, life decisions.

Furthermore, when is anyone pursuing a PhD going to wake up and have all the time in the world to have a baby? Right before internship interviews? How 'bout post doc? When looking for a job?? I don't see there ever being a "perfect opportunity" and I’m certainly not willing to wait 10 years to find out.

Oh wow. I had the thought in the back of my mind that being a parent (a possibly single one at that) might be a negative to some programs, but it's hard to read that it's actually a reality. In all honestly, I would rather not go to a program where I have to hide my status as a mother to get into the school in the first place. Those are probably people I wouldn't want to work with for 5+ years in the first place, anyway.

While I'm not a parent, I thought I'd respond to a few things:

1) Much like "regular" jobs, some places are less accepting of "family" issues. Hopefully you all can find places that recognize some of the positive things from having a family.

2) I work part-time at a position that is 30-40 minutes away, so I tend to use my "travel time" to return phone calls (my Jawbone headset was the best $ I've spent in a long time!). Alternatively, some people tape record lectures, and then listen to them during their drive/commute home.

3) Compromise can still be productive. I've seen people still fit in a decent # of presentations and publications by focusing more locally and skipping some of the larger/farther conferences. Some use conference time to visit friends/family (*raises hand*), while others will travel only if they really need to go.

My hat is definitely off to people who can make it work with a family. I do not have a family, and I felt really stressed just trying to get things done. I think it comes down to time management and priorities. If you are good at those two things....they will get you a long way into the journey.

Glasscandie: I feel for you. It must be so hard to have to be in the process of applying for programs, when there is so much uncertainty in your life going on.... You are very brave but please take good care of yourself and reach out for support from family and friends. Personally, i think I would take a break from school, to figure out things first and recuperate. ( Either doing the necessary work to stay in a relationship or letting go of it can take up a lot of energy.) Best of luck and kindest regards.

Compassionate1

Thanks for reply to my post. :) My husband is actually very supportive of my endeavors in school, and has been one of the driving forces through my undergrad. education. I think we're better as friends, and we're actually really good friends, too. We've been having an open dialogue, this has been going on for 6+ months or so, and I have another year before I graduate with a BS, so we anticipate we'll evaluate our situation next spring. We'll see! I don't see myself taking a year off though. He's supportive whether we're together or not.

I just came across a "Psychologist/Mom" listserv (e-mail group), in case any of the mothers were interested in hearing about life as a psychologist + mom. I am not part of the group (obviously), but it was posted on another listserv I frequent.

PM for details.

Thank you for starting/responding to this thread, everyone! Although I am not currently a parent, it is definitely on my mind. By the time I begin my program in the Fall I will already have been married for 3 years. If it weren't for starting my program, I would probably like to start a family in the near future and already feel like I am putting it off so that I can go to school. The idea of waiting 7+ more years may not be feasible and I love to hear from the current parents. I have so much respect for all of you who every day are balancing the requirements of school and kids. Keep up the good work!