balancing redox reactions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wait4me

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
have there every been any MCAT questions that ask us to balance redox reactions?? It seems very time consuming to be asked. I know balancing normal reactions is fair game but balancing redox reactions requires a multistep process.

I just always assume they are already balanced when given in a passage (since you cant multiply E by a coefficient anyway)

Members don't see this ad.

have there every been any MCAT questions that ask us to balance redox reactions?? It seems very time consuming to be asked. I know balancing normal reactions is fair game but balancing redox reactions requires a multistep process.

I just always assume they are already balanced when given in a passage (since you cant multiply E by a coefficient anyway)

Please don't assume that reactions are balanced. Take a sec to make sure, its worth the extra couple of sec's. I doubt that balancing redox reactions will be a full blown q on mcat. You are right that it is time consuming, but its always good to know more than less.