Balancing Redox Rxns [blah]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockstarDMD

sUcCeSs iS mY OnLY OpTioN
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok everyone, what is the easiest way to balance redox rxns. I know a lot of people have their own methods. Anyone have some simplified form? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

RockstarDMD said:
Ok everyone, what is the easiest way to balance redox rxns. I know a lot of people have their own methods. Anyone have some simplified form? Thanks

Balance with H+ and H2O.
If in acidic solution DONE
If in basic solution add OH- & H2O to make it basic
:)

1. Separate the two half-rxns
2. Balance all non hydrogen and oxygen atoms
3. Balance H and O (I usually do O first)
-> in acidic solution balance O with H2O and H with H+
-> in basic solution balane O with OH- and H with H2O
4. Balance the overall charges of each rxn by adding electrons (e-) to the side with the more positive charge. If the moles of electrons are unequal you should make them equal by multiplying one of both. In the end you should have equal moles of electrons on different sides which cancel when you add them together.
5. Add the two half-rxns, and make sure everything balances out (ie if you have 3H2O -> 1H2O then you should remove one H2O from the right and it will be 2H2O on the left.

Thanks guys. This is the process I have been doing. I was just wondering if their were short cuts. I guess not, but thanks for the input.