Bane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

valentinoRossi

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The dark knight rises comes out soon. Bane is the antagonist, and a really interesting character. I'm curious to know what my psych friends think of him from a psychological perspective

Members don't see this ad.

The dark knight rises comes out soon. Bane is the antagonist, and a really interesting character. I'm curious to know what my psych friends think of him from a psychological perspective

Substance-induced psychosis :)

Well I am a huge fan of this movie series, and couldn't be more excited for it!

+1. I wonder if it'll be better than the last!!

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 (big fan)

I do not have much to say specifically for Bane (not all that familiar with his character as I never read the comments- but I know the basics). If you are interested in Batman and psychology, I would recommend checking out "Batman Unmasked: The Psychology of the Dark Knight." I think it is in a book format as well, or at least there is a book out there with a similar name.

+1 (big fan)

I do not have much to say specifically for Bane (not all that familiar with his character as I never read the comments- but I know the basics). If you are interested in Batman and psychology, I would recommend checking out "Batman Unmasked: The Psychology of the Dark Knight." I think it is in a book format as well, or at least there is a book out there with a similar name.

yeah i actually saw that documentary on youtube a few weeks ago and loved it.

besides depicting signs of anti-personality disorder, bane (i feel) doesn't have a fully developed sense of moral judgment. As there are 5 stages of morality and obeying laws, he is still in the 3rd stage where a child develops the idea that all bad actions should be punished without exception. I wish i remember the name of the theory as i just learned it last semester but i remember the main concepts at least.

there is a scene when batman asks bane, "why don't you just kill me?"
bane responds, "your punishment must be more severe".

Bane is extremely intelligent, but still views life in a purely logical way. There is only right and wrong, and that which is wrong must be punished.

the back story of bane is that (at least in the comics) he is from south america, and since a young boy was kept in prison in morroco. He had no reason to be in prison, but was put in because something his father did. He would gain an immense amount of knowledge through reading books. He also uses a substance which increases his physical strength (hence the mask). Although I think the Nolan version might be different, perhaps something a little more realistic. There couldd hypothetically be an issue with substance abuse, but i don't see it ever going in that direction.

The joker in the dark knight most definitely had a severe case of histrionic disorder/antisocial disorder, and maybe a few more possible disorders. He was quite a complex character...
And in batman begins the scarecrow was actually a psychiatrist who used fear to manipulate people. Point is, Nolan is a brilliant filmmaker and his brother is an awesome screenwriter, and both seem to fully understand and value the importance of psychological depth with their characters. Just look at Inception for example...this was practically Freud's book (analysis of dreams) put on the big screen in probably the most interesting and stimulating way in the history of cinema.

Anyways, i can't wait :oops:

Those stages are Kohlberg's theory

Heh, if only he wrote as good of female characters. Maybe Catwoman will prove me wrong... but given that they're using the Frank Miller backstory, I doubt it.

Those stages are Kohlberg's theory

Heh, if only he wrote as good of female characters. Maybe Catwoman will prove me wrong... but given that they're using the Frank Miller backstory, I doubt it.

ahhhhh thank you! And I agree, i'm not too fond of his female characters honestly...they are usually very manipulative and untrustworthy (carrie ann moss in Momento, girl from prestige, Rachel from dark knight)....and catwoman is a con-artist so i'm sure that theme will continue. I actually don't like anne hathaway...her mouth is too big...its freaky

"Kohlberg's six stages can be more generally grouped into three levels of two stages each: pre-conventional, conventional and post-conventional.[7][8][9] Following Piaget's constructivist requirements for a stage model, as described in his theory of cognitive development, it is extremely rare to regress in stages—to lose the use of higher stage abilities.[14][15] Stages cannot be skipped; each provides a new and necessary perspective, more comprehensive and differentiated than its predecessors but integrated with them.[14][15]

Level 1 (Pre-Conventional)

1. Obedience and punishment orientation (How can I avoid punishment?)
2. Self-interest orientation (What's in it for me?)(Paying for a benefit)

Level 2 (Conventional)
3. Interpersonal accord and conformity (Social norms)(The good boy/good girl attitude)
4. Authority and social-order maintaining orientation (Law and order morality)

Level 3 (Post-Conventional)
5. Social contract orientation
6. Universal ethical principles (Principled conscience)

I think bane is stuck at level 4....maybe im over-analyzing this?

Last edited:
Um, most adults are within that conventional stage and don't make it past that point, so I don't think that saying someone's in the conventional stage is really saying much...

yeah i actually saw that documentary on youtube a few weeks ago and loved it.

besides depicting signs of anti-personality disorder, bane (i feel) doesn't have a fully developed sense of moral judgment. As there are 5 stages of morality and obeying laws, he is still in the 3rd stage where a child develops the idea that all bad actions should be punished without exception. I wish i remember the name of the theory as i just learned it last semester but i remember the main concepts at least.

there is a scene when batman asks bane, "why don't you just kill me?"
bane responds, "your punishment must be more severe".

Bane is extremely intelligent, but still views life in a purely logical way. There is only right and wrong, and that which is wrong must be punished.

the back story of bane is that (at least in the comics) he is from south america, and since a young boy was kept in prison in morroco. He had no reason to be in prison, but was put in because something his father did. He would gain an immense amount of knowledge through reading books. He also uses a substance which increases his physical strength (hence the mask). Although I think the Nolan version might be different, perhaps something a little more realistic. There couldd hypothetically be an issue with substance abuse, but i don't see it ever going in that direction.

The joker in the dark knight most definitely had a severe case of histrionic disorder/antisocial disorder, and maybe a few more possible disorders. He was quite a complex character...
And in batman begins the scarecrow was actually a psychiatrist who used fear to manipulate people. Point is, Nolan is a brilliant filmmaker and his brother is an awesome screenwriter, and both seem to fully understand and value the importance of psychological depth with their characters. Just look at Inception for example...this was practically Freud's book (analysis of dreams) put on the big screen in probably the most interesting and stimulating way in the history of cinema.

Anyways, i can't wait :oops:

I don't really know anything about Bane, but based on this, sounds like he might be at least a tiny bit on the OCPD spectrum. Similar to the one serial killer (I'm blanking on his name) who was president of his HOA and would go out to his neighbors' yards and measure the length of their grass with a ruler.

As fun as it is to pathologize fictional characters, particularly villains, it's probably a better discussion for after we see the film.

I am sure that the psychopathy spectrum will come into play, but some of it really will depend on how much time Nolan spends on developing the origin of Bane's character in the film. I understand that there are going to be some differences from the comic books.

Even with the Joker, it's tough to establish much with how little of an origin he was given in the film. I am glad it was done that way. All we really have are his sadistic, likely made-up back stories about "how I got these scars..." :D

As fun as it is to pathologize fictional characters, particularly villains, it's probably a better discussion for after we see the film.

I am sure that the psychopathy spectrum will come into play, but some of it really will depend on how much time Nolan spends on developing the origin of Bane's character in the film. I understand that there are going to be some differences from the comic books.

Even with the Joker, it's tough to establish much with how little of an origin he was given in the film. I am glad it was done that way. All we really have are his sadistic, likely made-up back stories about "how I got these scars..." :D

I liked that about Ledger's version as well (in addition, of course, to how great an acting job he pulled off). I remember feeling somewhat uneasy for the majority of that movie owing in large part to being uncertain what was going to happen, knowing it was going to be bad, and really feeling as though the Joker could outsmart pretty much anyone else in the film. And in my mind, that's exactly the type of villain the Joker should be.