1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by asdasd12345, Apr 4, 2004.

1. asdasd12345

asdasd12345 Membership Revoked
    Removed

i filed bankruptcy a few years ago. will this affect my ability to get financial aid for med school? also i recently applied for my greencard in october 2003, does anyone have any clue whatsoever of how long it will take to get the greencard, because i cannot even apply to med school until i have the greencard in my possesion.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

Yes, you will have trouble getting financial aid. I'd reccomend speaking with a finacial aid counselor to see if there is anything that you can do after you get accepted to a school. If you are not a citizen, some of the private ones may require you to prove that you have enough money for 4 yrs of tuition and fees put into an account before they even let you enroll.

4. asdasd12345

asdasd12345 Membership Revoked
    Removed

does anyone else concur wit this?

5. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    You will have no problem getting federal aid a la stafford loans. However, those loans max out at $38,500 so unless you're lucky enough to get a scholarship or get into a state school, most likely you will need outside aid. That is where you'll run into trouble. So I partially concur.

6. Skaterbabe74

Skaterbabe74 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

As exmike said a bankruptcy will affect your ability to get private funding, but not the federal funding. However, I'm not sure what the requirements are for non-citizens for federal funding so definitely sit down with financial aid counselors. While a bankruptcy will affect your ability it may not completely preclude you from private loans, but you will most likely have either a higher interest rate or need a qualified co-signer. If possible you are probably better off waiting until the bankruptcy is off your credit record before you apply to med school. Bankruptcy's stay on your credit for I believe 7 years (or 10 if it was a business bankruptcy). If it's already been a few years you may not have to delay things that long...also some private loans only look as far back as 3 years for creditworthiness so you may be ok now but it'll take some research to find those options.

Good luck!