banks on the east coast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hybridgen3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this might be a dumb question...but what is the most convenient bank on the east coast...specifically nyc...i am with wamu...its pretty convenient around my area in la...but im not sure if it will be just as convenient in nyc...so please enlighten me east coast people...

Members don't see this ad.

Hybridgen3 said:
this might be a dumb question...but what is the most convenient bank on the east coast...specifically nyc...i am with wamu...its pretty convenient around my area in la...but im not sure if it will be just as convenient in nyc...so please enlighten me east coast people...

I'm not in New York, I'm in boston... however it appears that Bank of America are all over the place here.

I live in florida and use Washington Mutual too. The last time I went to NYC I had no problem finding ATM's. Go to the website and use the branch locator to find how close they to your location.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two of the most convenient banks in NYC, esp. Manhattan, are B of A and Chase.

Commerce Bank is America's fastest growing bank. It is open 7 days of the week and even on most major holidays. It is unbelievably convenient and amazing. It has locations everywhere in the city and in jersey. BTW i had a bank of america account and closed it cuz it didnt come close to matching commerce.

def Bank of America.

If hours of operation are important to you, definitely go with Commerce Bank. They're open until 7 or 8 every night, which is basically unheard of in banking. The only disadvantage is that Commerce is pretty regional right now, just in the NY, NJ, PA area. They have a ton of branches planned down in Florida right now, so I doubt it will be too long until they take over the entire world. Just wait.

I'm gonna be going to Boston and had to Switch over to Bank of America from Wachovia b/c Wachovia is everywhere EXCEPT in Massachusetts. So Choose Bank of America b/c its EVERYWHERE on the east coast.

If you want you can stick with WAMU, they have it in NY.

B of A is everywhere but some of their checking accounts are not free.

All I can tell you is that you should avoid Chevy Chase Bank. At least my branch, anyways.

Typo said:
All I can tell you is that you should avoid Chevy Chase Bank. At least my branch, anyways.

There is WaMu in NYC. IMO, the most convenient bank in Manhattan is Chase. ATMs everywhere and also located inside every Duane Reade drug store. With Duane Reades also being everywhere, there are a plethora of places to get your cash fee-free.

doesn't wamu have the new service where you can withdraw from any bank without a service charge?

Hybridgen3 said:
doesn't wamu have the new service where you can withdraw from any bank without a service charge?

commerce has that, and if the ATM machine charges you money, commerce will put it back into your account (provided the balance is $2000 or more)

commerce all the way