Bargaining for more money...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownnbluemoons

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience bargaining for more aid, especially in the form of grants. I have heard that sometimes it is beneficial to bring up something like: "School A has offered me X amount of money, can you (School B) match that?" I have never tried this, and I would love to hear what you know about it.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Generally it's something you only do for a doctoral academic degree (eg. PhD, ScD) where faculty members are fighting for you (since you'd work on a faculty member's grant/project), and it's not typically for tuition coverage, but for an increase in stipend money. It's generally something you can't do effectively for a MPH because you don't really have much leverage since a school wouldn't be battling for your research skills (since you likely won't be doing research there).

Then again, you could always ask, politely, if there's potential for more aid. The worst they can say is 'no'.

I respectfully beg to differ! If you are a competitive MPH applicant and have something to add to the cohort or a professor's workload, some schools are willing to up their offer-particularly if it's one of their academic competitors. PM me if you want more details. It is still difficult though. PH school's are exactly rolling in the dough like MBA schools :(

Agreed: The worst they could do is say no. These schools realize that their degrees are expensive.:( People ask for more money all the time.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's possible... I didn't try to bargain for more money or anything, but if a school really wants you, it's worth a shot. I applied to Wash U in St. Louis (new program/not accredited), but decided to go to SUNY Albany instead (didn't want to go to an unaccredited school). Originally I had gotten a $25k scholarship (about 1/2 tuition) at WUSTL, but after I sent in my "not attending" form, they called me and offered me full tuition and to fly me out there for their students weekend. I didn't really proactively argue for more money (and I'm still not going to go there), but if you are a good student and you think they really want you, it's worth a shot to haggle a bit.

Even if additional grants will not be offered, how would you go about asking for additional loans? Most of the financial aid awards I have gotten back is below my estimated need. For example, for one of the schools I am considering, I still have about $20,000 in need remaining. Is it common for schools to offer below your total needs? How do students make up for that gap?

Who do you call to bargain for more money? Admissions? Financial aid?

I was told today by one school's financial aid office to contact the department if you are to ask for more money. However, the financial aid office also gave me a list of outside funding resources, so I'd suggest contacting them as well.

Digging up an old thread. I noticed there's a recent thread for negotiating financial aid packages for PhD programs, but not for Masters. Hopefully there are people with insight into effective ways to negotiate for scholarships/fellowships/aid. Is this something that's common for applicants? When should admitted students start contacting financial aid offices regarding this sort of thing?

Digging up an old thread. I noticed there's a recent thread for negotiating financial aid packages for PhD programs, but not for Masters. Hopefully there are people with insight into effective ways to negotiate for scholarships/fellowships/aid. Is this something that's common for applicants? When should admitted students start contacting financial aid offices regarding this sort of thing?

I know I'm definitely going to be trying this, especially since I've been accepted into a lot of good schools. Grad school is expensive, and it never hurts to ask right!

Even if additional grants will not be offered, how would you go about asking for additional loans? Most of the financial aid awards I have gotten back is below my estimated need. For example, for one of the schools I am considering, I still have about $20,000 in need remaining. Is it common for schools to offer below your total needs? How do students make up for that gap?

Grad Plus Loans, they are the worse but that is how you fill in the gap. I almost had to take them but I was offered a training grant. Good Luck!

I know I'm definitely going to be trying this, especially since I've been accepted into a lot of good schools. Grad school is expensive, and it never hurts to ask right!

Agreed! I was accepted to several good schools and it is really worth our effort to ask for some form of funding. Finger crossed for our funding!